Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evicted

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
Anyone else watch this last night?

Comments

• Options
    no, but did watch the secret millionaire though. is that the series which simes jordan is going to feature ?
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It was a very sad programme about two families made homeless through no fault of their own and then getting passed from B&B to bus shelter to B&B. One family was evicted because one council department fails to pay their housing benefit on time so another council department evicted them, and changed the locks so they couldn't get their belongings, even their daughters medication.

One bright young girl who should have been doing her O levels but couldn't go to school because her mum had no money to pay for the 4 bus rides required. A hot meal for them is to leave a tin of baked beans on the radiator in the morning, then it is warm by the evening - the B&B doesn't even have a microwave.

Even getting a B&B for the night involved Shelter threatening to sue the local authority, whilst the family were huddled together in a bus shelter.

They were wonderful families too and I just kept saying "Oh my God" etc.

review

A pity it was on quite late and hopefully it will be repeated - it was an amazing programme. I recorded it (had intended to go to bed but was glued), so I can have the kids watch it to realise how bloody lucky they are).
  • Options
    Yeh In watched the last 20mins. Very sad.........
  • Options
    My mrs was watching it, i tried not to as it sounded 'orrible, but then i had too. The authorities deciding that those people lost there house on purpose, and told em thats it we aint gonna help you now, they had kiddies with them and was homeless and the authorty just told em sorry no live on the street!

This country i tell ya, is going to the dogs.
  • Options
    Saw some of the kids being fed pot noodle, dreadful stuff, was not paying too much attention though to be honest as was discussing the film I had just watched with a Doris.
  • Options
    I did think it was ironic that the family that finally found a house to move into, but didn't have furniture, were complaining that they didn't have any money, but yet were sitting down to a meal of take-away pizza and chips.......
  • Options
    I think that it is a case of survival of the fittest, being brought up in the Maggie Thatcher era.