Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How's business?

We have had a crackin year however,it has gone dead in the last 2 weeks,scary.

Comments

• Options
    not so much dead,very busy at the moment however in my game everything is becoming much more price driven.

You have to be on top of everything in what iam doing.
  • Options
    Funny-business wise, i've had a pretty poor year but in the last few weeks have started to get quite busy.. (thank the lord!)

I'm an independent mortgage broker btw...
  • Options
    Still busy but less high value jobs. Even selling days in December which is normally difficult.

See the cost of living index is down.
  • Options
    We've been lucky - work for a design/branding agency. We've had some of our clients cut back on their spend, but luckily we've got a new client who is relaunching a brand.
    Their spend has covered the cut backs.
    We've just won a design affectiveness award (basically most effective design that means you're actually making a difference to sales figures) so hopefully that will mean frugal companies will turn to us oin the future.

Not comfortable by any means though.
  • Options
    extremley busy.. the legal world must be the only industry still on the up!
  • Options
    I was speaking with this woman down at Rowhill last night and she and her husband own and run an electrical installation company. She was saying that they have work up until January but after that, the order books are pretty much empty and the workforce have agreed to take a pay cut in order to keep their jobs. Looks like deflation is on the way!
  • Options
    Construction is on its arse at the moment, we have done ok this year, made a profilt and the most profitable publication within the company but the next couple of years are going to be tough, have told the good lady to start shopping at Lidals rather than Waitroes.
  • Options
    Phones have stopped ringing since the kids came back to school in September.

Companies are also witholding paying their bills big time.

Just spoke to a client and everybody seems to be hiding waiting for the Christmas holidays to arrive.

I reckon February / March will be a shocker.
  • Options
    we had a quiet period a couple of months ago but seem to be really picking up lately , I'm an electrician and most of our work is reactive work in the retail sector.
    A lot of the stuff we do is legally required so that means as long as we can come in cheapest we will generally get the work and luckily as we are a massive company we can afford to do that
  • Options
    Dead last few months picked up a little yesterday. Hard times in the media world to be honest. no new programmes being made just knocking together clip shows and bringing back old programmes so they dont have to pay for new ideas, comming soon to channel 5 minder with Shane Ritche as Arthur Dailey!! the rise and fall of reginald perrin with martin clunes playing reginald, and we just herd yesterday they are bringing back the kypton factor. were lucky as most of our clients are working but for the new clients its a real struggle to get them on there way in TV land.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    likewise were i am slowed right down
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]extremley busy.. the legal world must be the only industry still on the up!

Tell that to the staff at Latham.

My firm's market is dead. Acquisition Finance.
  • Options
    The kypton factor, thats ledgend!!!!

Suppose one of the only good things about working for local government is your busy most of the year round, funding for consultants dropped allot though.
  • Options
    anyone work for Citigroup?
  • Options
    or wolseley?

just announced 2300 job losses.
  • Options
    Going to be a grim old christmas for a lot of people isnt it?
    Very upsetting for all those that will be out of jobs.
  • Options
    Recruitment industry is taking a massive hit and even though i'm in marketing we're the obvious port of call when it comes to cost-cutting.

I'm working off budgets reduced by almost 70% on last year but expected to acheive the same or better results.

Nervous times for the company and me personally.
  • Options
    gotta say i am now debating on qpr away end of the day at the cheapest it's £50 think i may give it a miss know,im going to have to tighten my belt
  • Options
    can we please sink this very depressing thread..

:(
  • Options
    No worries, we've signed Ian Harte!

oh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    very busy this year and showing now signs of easing.

I am an Energy Broker.
  • Options
    I'm going to buck the trend and say at the moment very good, forcasting large scale profits for this FY.

Industry i'm in is showing considerable year on year growth and has done for the past 20 years or so and seems to move within it's own internal peaks and troughs. It's perhaps a bit more resiliant to current economic circumstances than most ...And no i'm not a debt collector
  • Options
    I'm IT support for massive insurance broker.

Redundancies all over the place at the moment and tomorrow is a post mortem on the project I am currently supporting!!

I should be safe but I really feel for anyone who loses their job at this moment in time!
  • Options
    Better than most similar businesses (guesthouse in Phuket) in this area at the moment. We have a very good web presence and target evryone from bckpackers to middle-aged middle income families and couples.

I think the high season will be well down on last year in numbers of tourists in Phuket and I also think it will finish early, but that's just my gut reaction based on the numbers of bookings I have after February. I also think many people had already booked their winter break before the real banking crisis and the drop in sterling. We've onnly had one cancellation so far, which isn't that bad considering.
  • Options
    i herd from a mate of mine, who is a bayliff that there struggling too. were all gona have to become professional football players.. im 28 and play in goal so could have at least 10 years in me.
  • Options
    The company I work for have had record months in two out of the last three months (Mortgage Brokers) yet I have been told we have something like £100k+ in the pipeline but we have a cash flow problem & I will be paid late for the next couple of months :-(
  • Options
    I work for Wolseley as a Branch Manager.
    They are to close 200 branches.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]extremley busy.. the legal world must be the only industry still on the up!

Yep, still going crazy here, as it has for the past few months. Feel very fortunate right now.
  • Options
    IT recruitment - Still busy with most of my clients. Not too sure what 2009 will bring with recruitment budgets possibly cut back. However everyone needs IT these days so hopefully it wont be as bad as previous dips Ive worked through.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]I work for Wolseley as a Branch Manager.
    They are to close 200 branches.

Not good. Hope it works out for you.