Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Brown anyone?

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
Now Richard Murray said up to four loans. We have Waghorn, Gilespie and perhaps Helgusson. So who could be the 4th?

Another striker seems unlikely and we clearly need a defender.

So Wayne Brown? Linchpin of Parky's promoted Colchester side and helped keep them in the CCC the year after PP left.

Was sold to Hull and helped them get promotion last term.

Now not in the Hull side and was loaned out to PNE on 27th October for one month after being told he wouldn't feature for City.

Loan about to finish.

31, originally from Barking, 6 ft 0 in defender.

Maybe just me adding 2 + 2 and getting 5

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/preston/7700502.stm

Comments

• Options
    To be honest i think Murray was talking about 4 possible deals as Powell and Harte were on trial at the time. Brown would be a handy signing but i think he's said he wants to fight for his place at Hull. Shittu would be a solid signing, and he's not playing at the moment.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Been told by Phil Brown that he doesn't feature in his plans at the moment according the BBC article above and is already out on loan.

Shittu would add a little weight to the back four for sure. Good shout if we can afford him and if Bolton would loan him out.

Wasn't saying 4 is 4 and that is was a promise of four loans BTW
  • Options
    Yes, Powell and Harte were in a different category as free agents.

If we take up the four possible deals Murray mentioned all as loans, that would give us seven loanees.

As Henry helpfully pointed out elsewhere (and I didn't know this), only five loanees are allowed in any match squad.

With seven, we would be paying two of them every game to sit in the stands, not even on the bench. Can't see the point, then, of having more than five, esp. when money is so tight. I'd like Helguson, which would make six. But if he arrives, I'd want to compensate by sending one back (Waghorn? Cranie?)
  • Options
    we need a centre half who can actually run... wayne brown would be pretty good if he's got some mobility
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Shittu would add a little weight to the back four for sure. Good shout if we can afford him and if Bolton would loan him out.

Maybe we could try and loan a team of ex players. We could go after Herman and Bryan Hughes as well!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ''we need a centre half who can actually run... ''

I'd rather have centre halves who can defend and command. Don't remember Costa running very often. And don't think I saw Paul McGrath run. Ever. (Of course, I wasn't there at 5.30pm when the pubs opened in Manchester back in the '80s, when we used to have these quaint things called licensing hours. I concede that it is quite possible that he used to sprint to the bar...)
  • Options
    Brown has said that Preston don't have the cash to sign him and if he cant force his way into the Hull team, he'll keep himself fit and look for a club in January.
  • Options
    I don't think Paul McGrath ever could run, Nigel.

Both his knees were fecked from about the age of 18.

He only managed to play through the pain, thanks to the numbing effect of alcohol.
    For all that, helluva player.

He was all about doing the simple things.
    And doing them well.
  • Options
    nigel w:

what I mean is we are dying on our arse defensively as both our current centre halves are of the big lump variety, i'm not denying commanding and dominating centre forwards is a fundamental characteristic but to be honest i reckon most of us could outrun them... we are in the territory where with our luck one mistake = one goal conceded, I think we have to look at the lack of pace at the back when taking into account any other possible signing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]nigel w:

what I mean is we are dying on our arse defensively as both our current centre halves are of the big lump variety, i'm not denying commanding and dominating centre forwards is a fundamental characteristic but to be honest i reckon most of us could outrun them... we are in the territory where with our luck one mistake = one goal conceded, I think we have to look at the lack of pace at the back when taking into account any other possible signing

But Isaw ...... salvation is nigh, Jonny Fortune about to return.

Pacy, strong, can play the ball neatly out of defence, ability to switch off at critical moments ......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we got off lightly not signing Powell - anyone see his mistake for Derby at the weekend - made Youga look world class
  • Options
    I saw that, awful, made me smile to be honest.
  • Options
    Powell had the single worst performance of a defender at the Valley that I've seen in about ten years.

As usual we had no midfield, but a teeny bit better long ball to Gray. Even Waghorn was worrying Powell's heading. We got chance after chance against him. Gray was holding the ball for fun against him and by God most of our midfield actually got to him for the first time in months.

As for Paul McGrath he had the help of a few cortisone injections! He did have pace in his youth, that was what was so amazing about him that by his later twenties he was slow but could cope with all types of attackers. Remember a football centenary match where the football league 11 played a world 11, he was the best player on the pitch. Best defender I ever saw, streets ahead of a Rio Ferdinand, and wasn't a shopaholic but an alcoholic.