Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky speaks out

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
With the OS being down so long, many might have just given up on it for now.

So if you can't get on it or don't have the time, here's the words of our new leader:

Phil making his mark
After being named as Charlton's caretaker manager on Saturday evening, Phil Parkinson has moved quickly to stamp his authority on the Addicks by asking reserve-team boss Mark Kinsella and head scout Phil Chapple to be part of his coaching team.

Parkinson, who also secured the loan signing of Sheffield United winger Keith Gillespie and met the media on a busy Monday, revealed Chapple and Kinsella would be part of his coaching set-up as he prepares to take charge of his first game on Tuesday night.

Charlton make the trip to play London rivals Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road (8pm), and speaking at a press conference at Sparrows Lane, Parkinson also outlined his desire to help the Addicks turn things around after Saturday's 5-2 defeat to Sheffield United saw the club slip into the bottom three of the Championship and also brought about the departure of manager Alan Pardew from SE7 by mutual consent.

"I'm looking forward to it,” said Parkinson. "I'm sad for Alan and what's happened but I'm prepared to take on the responsibility of turning this round and I think it's all important we all understand the seriousness of the position we're in.

"I'm not looking any further than Tuesday night's game and making sure I prepare this team to get a reaction and a result. I've been asked to take charge on a short-term basis and I'll be looking for an improvement.

"We need to find a balance between the players, who I think we have more to come from. It's my job in the short term to make sure I find that extra little bit more from the players.

"I've bought Mark Kinsella and Phil Chapple into work at first-team level and I feel that's important as these are two people who understand this club more than anyone, and I want that to rub off on the lads.

"They've both been connected with the club a long time and they understand the importance of being a Charlton player, so I want them in and around the boys and working with me to get a result on Tuesday."

Northern Ireland international Gillespie has joined the Addicks until January 3rd, with Parkinson confident that the 33-year-old winger's vast experience will help lift Charlton away from their precarious position.

Parkinson, who could put Gillespie straight into the Charlton line-up against Rangers on Tuesday, stated: "He's in a position where he wants to play games and I feel he's the ideal character for what we need at the moment.

"He's hungry to play football and he goes straight into the squad for the game. He gives us the understanding of that position on the right-hand side of midfield which I feel we've lacked. Keith has been around for years and he knows that position more than anyone and I do feel that bit of experience will appeal to us.

"The looseness of the team has been down to the wide players not being disciplined enough and Keith knows the role, whether it's a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 and I'm hoping his experience will rub off on the younger lads. It's a tough league and you need that nous out on the pitch."

Parkinson took charge of training for the first time on Sunday as he prepares his side for a tough encounter in West London and what is almost a step into the unknown, given Rangers only recruited first-team coach Paulo Sousa late last week.

"We came in on Sunday and the players were very quiet," said Parkinson. "I'd expect them to be quiet; I wouldn't want to see people laughing and joking. A good man lost his job on Saturday night, so it was a sombre mood.

"They're an honest set of lads, and like all of the staff, they take responsibility for the situation we're in. But it's important not to look back too much and make sure they concentrate on Tuesday's derby.

"My job on Sunday was to make sure they understand our responsibility as a group of people. Over the last 20 years a lot of work has gone into this club and a lot of good people have put a lot of effort in.

"We have a lot of good people working for the club day in, day out, and we've got a responsibility to get us in a better league position which will help the long-term future of the club.

"Normally before games, we have a big meeting about the opposition, but it's been very difficult to predict what team QPR will play. So my tone to the lads has been to focus on what we're going to do and not worry too much about them - my team is picked and we're ready for battle."

Former Colchester United gaffer Parkinson has been out of management since an ill-fated spell at Hull City and admits he is pleased to be back in the hotseat, albeit on a temporary basis for now.

"I feel that I am a manager," he mused. "Once you've had a taste of it you do miss it. I've been working alongside Alan and I've enjoyed a large proportion of that time, but I see myself as a manager. I had a very successful period at Colchester and a not-so-good time at Hull, but that's football and you have to bounce back.

"Alan knows I've worked tirelessly to help him at this club and I had a chat with him on Saturday to tell him the board had asked me to take charge of the QPR game. He knows that no one in my position would turn that down. Someone has got to turn this situation around.

"In recent weeks the confidence has drained out of the boys. When you make the type of mistakes the players made on Saturday, they're energy-sapping. We've got to know that when we get set-backs in games, we've got to react better."

Parkinson also revealed there were no new injury problems ahead of the game, tickets for which can be purchased on the night. Click here for more details.

Comments

• Options
    cheers Oggy listening now!
  • Options
    Some positives:

Gillespie: "I feel he's the ideal character for what we need at the moment.

"He's hungry to play football and he goes straight into the squad for the game. He gives us the understanding of that position on the right-hand side of midfield which I feel we've lacked.

"The looseness of the team has been down to the wide players not being disciplined enough and Keith knows the role, whether it's a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3".

And:

"Normally before games, we have a big meeting about the opposition, but it's been very difficult to predict what team QPR will play. So my tone to the lads has been to focus on what we're going to do and not worry too much about them - my team is picked and we're ready for battle."

Just 2 little points that impressed me.
  • Options
    And that he thinks we have a lot of good people - nice to know.
  • Options
    sad all the right things no doubting that. I'm with him 100% tomorrow night.

But what is not Parky's fault is that we have just had a guy that talked a lot, was into building things up and ultimately failing to deliver. We are a lot more cynical group of fans than we were two years ago, which is a challenge. But the upside is if we can show any sign of improvement we will be twice as appreciative.
  • Options
    Super Super Phil Super Super Phil

Super Phil Parkie
  • Options
    Much better than the previous 40 Pardew interviews. I thought he come across really well, spoke in more straight forward terms than Pards, maybe that's what we need, a straight talker.

I think Gillespe is a good signing, we need more experienced players mixed with youth to get us through..
  • Options
    Yes, lets all get behind him and support him 100%. Give the man a chance before judging him, who knows, he might just improve things. They surely can't get much worse. It'll be interesting to see his team selections over the next few games. A new chapter in the history of Charlton ,begins tomorrow night.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]Yes, lets all get behind him and support him 100%. Give the man a chance before judging him, who knows, he might just improve things. They surely can't get much worse. It'll be interesting to see his team selections over the next few games. A new chapter in the history of Charlton ,begins tomorrow night.

seconded, i'm glad kinsella's and chapple have been brought into the first team coaching set up aswel
  • Options
    Reading into his comments he has been frustrated with our tactics. I wonder if we'll see Kelly Youga ever again?
  • Options
    A very late decision but I have decided to go tomorrow. The lads need the support and the caretaker needs to be given the chance.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully he'll have previously been sharing his concerns and observations about the right side with the Silver Fox, but that he chose to ignore them, rather than this being a sudden Eureka moment.

At least he's made a decisive move to bring someone in to address the problem.

As long as he can get the right reaction from the players, then good luck to him.
  • Options
    I wasn't going to bother, but i got a funny feeling...................???????
    Sod it, IM IN.
  • Options
    Yep Im going....meeting up with NSSteve....looking forward to it more so than of recent times...
  • Options
    Sounds pretty good from PP! & Mark Kinsella ideal experience to be supportive to the young uns that need praising up
  • Options

This IMO is what Charlton have done wrong ever since we had a our 2nd season after getting back in the Prem, we were awesome at home in the year after we were champions (, then I think first game of the following season was Everton at home, after the way we played the previous season and Evertons poor previous season I thought ' nice 3 point start' (how times have changed). We went out and worried how Duncan Ferguson was going to play and tried to play against him. We lost 2-1, Everton should have been worrying how we were going to play, not the other way round, seemed to be the way we approached most games I can remember after that.

I like his attitude already after that sentence.
  • Options
    Like the sound of this......

come on Phil heres your chance.....

take it....

get these guys fired up big time and get some london pride back.....
  • Options
    Refreshing to hear sense and straight talk. Really hoping that PP takes his healthy 42% win, 29% draw ratio from his time managing Colchester into his time with us, however long that may be. Good luck Phil!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]"Normally before games, we have a big meeting about the opposition, but it's been very difficult to predict what team QPR will play. So my tone to the lads has been to focus on what we're going to do and not worry too much about them - my team is picked and we're ready for battle."

This IMO is what Charlton have done wrong ever since we had a our 2nd season after getting back in the Prem, we were awesome at home in the year after we were champions (, then I think first game of the following season was Everton at home, after the way we played the previous season and Evertons poor previous season I thought ' nice 3 point start' (how times have changed). We went out and worried how Duncan Ferguson was going to play and tried to play against him. We lost 2-1, Everton should have been worrying how we were going to play, not the other way round, seemed to be the way we approached most games I can remember after that.

I like his attitude already after that sentence.

This is one of the points I picked out earlier in the thread.

How many times have we seen a Charlton team (even in Cubs days) to mirror the opposition.
    I really like the idea that Parky wants teams to worry about us!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]"Normally before games, we have a big meeting about the opposition, but it's been very difficult to predict what team QPR will play. So my tone to the lads has been[b]to focus on what we're going to do and not worry too much about them[/b]- my team is picked and we're ready for battle."[/quote]

Or is he saying to 'focus on what we're going to do' because he doesn't know what team QPR will play? Reads like that to me. Anyway, I feel a wave of optimism again and I think we're going to get at least a draw tonight. Lot of upheaval going on at Loftus Road it seems at the minute with old Briatore having a big say in team selections etc.
  • Options
    As long as they give it a right good go tonight I think thats all we can hope for at the mo, but come saturday 3 points is a must.
    Also enjoyed his interview, nice to hear somebody being a bit more upbeat for a change, lets hope it rubs off on the team!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought at first Parky was just going to come out with more of the same old ....... but there's definitely a different way of coming across than his ex-boss.

If he reckons he knows what's wrong, puts it right and has a decent gameplan, then I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out tonight.

Be interesting to see if the players are fully behind him.

Don't forget Kins will be there in the dugout - need to make him feel special also!