Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is saturday a MUST NOT lose game?

imo we really can't afford to lose this one cos the gaps beginning to open up with the teams we need to be catching up with to reach safety
with over 40% of the season gone we really are in deep doo doo
and i do think it's time to panic
all we can do is sing our hearts out for our team and say our prayers !!

Comments

• Options
    Today was a must not loose game in my opinion let alone saturday
  • Options
    Even if we win on Sat, we will still be in bottom three...

So it is a must win but no more than the last two home games (in which we shipped eight goals) .

It is almost certainly a must win for Parky. If we lose on Sat, we will surely start interviewing Boothroyd, Davies et al on Monday morning.
  • Options
    lose & we are down...simple as that.

Lose and there is a gap between us and the next 3 teams & seeing as we have won only once in the last 12 games I can't really see us winning 2 or 3 on the bounce to get us towards mid-table.
  • Options
    Come on Golfie, all we need to do is put that long awaited run together-surely it's got to come soon? No?
  • Options
    No .

until we get in a complely new ma it is same old same old.

Look at Spurs. 2 months ago they were rooted to the foot of the table. In comes Harry & they lose only once in their next 6 or 7 - even coming from behind at Arsenal & liverpool, to get a draw & a win respectively.
  • Options
    Thirty points dropped out of the last 36. Why is there any reason to believed we are going on a "run" any time soon ?

Three points v Soton will help. But I repeat : it's a sign of how far we have fallen that even that will not lift us out of the relegation zone and still leave us in 22nd position.
  • Options
    Three games ago I was convinced that we could still pull it together, get out of the relegation zone and go storming up the table to within striking distance of the play-offs.

Tonight my thinking has changed - another nil point and a further minus 1 for the goal diff. There's still a massive part of the season to go, but lose on Saturday and start playing catch-up in a relegation battle let alone a play-off chase, f*ck that......
  • Options
    We (Palace) were in the same situation last season as you may all remember. The football we were playing was atrocious, very little confidence in the players and fans and it took Warnock 5 games to register a win and a few months later we were a penalty miss away from Wembley.

Obviously I'm enjoying your demise but there is a heck of a long way to go, Palace have shown that anything can happen twice the last 2 times we've really struggled early on.

Big big game though on Saturday, Southampton are a very young but talented team and you never know, a win might start a 15 match unbeaten run like we did under Warnock last season!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: churley1[/cite]We (Palace) were in the same situation last season as you may all remember. The football we were playing was atrocious, very little confidence in the players and fans and it took Warnock 5 games to register a win and a few months later we were a penalty miss away from Wembley.

Obviously I'm enjoying your demise but there is a heck of a long way to go, Palace have shown that anything can happen twice the last 2 times we've really struggled early on.

Big big game though on Saturday, Southampton are a very young but talented team and you never know, a win might start a 15 match unbeaten run like we did under Warnock last season!
    The difference is that you got Colin Wanker in who changed everything round. Parkinson is part of the old regime so carries a lot of the baggage that Pardew burdened the team with over the past year. We won't get a new manager - Parkinson will get the job permanently because, firstly, no-one wants to manage us and, secondly, we can't afford anyone anyway. I'm so convinced of that I put 100 notes on him earlier. The bookies have started cutting odds as well - VC down from 5-1 to 11/4, Skybet down to 5/2. As a result we'll be struggling all season long and may well end up going down. That won't matter to me of course, because when i wake up in the morning in early June, irrespective of our league position, I'll still be a Charlton fan rather than a Palarse one.
  • Options
    I am probably one of the biggest optimists on here but I am all doom and gloom today. I can't help but think without a win Saturday we are all but relegated in November! Parky shows the early signs of being another les Reed, if you make wholesale changes to make a point and they backfire you are in trouble.

Also i might be in the minority but our two latest signings strike me as being the worst we have made this season. Waggy-we needed an experienced goalscorer not a young lad that is learning his game and needs the boost a good side would give him.
    Gillespie-past it and without the energy you need in a dog fight.

God I hope everyone has hidden all the sharpe objects
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    gillespie was one of our better players last night
  • Options
    Well I hope my lack of interest in him continues to inspire him!
  • Options
    'you never know, a win might start a 15 match unbeaten run like we did under Warnock last season!'

It is quite possible in this league- the Championship is almost taking on the appearance of the SPL- in November, you can be verging on relegation and by May you can squeeze a play-off spot.

Here's hoping, but we're such an undiluted mess that I think this would be a tall order in the curren campaign even in this league.
  • Options
    No doubt we are in the doo, but to talk about certain relegation in November? A bit of a stretch, methinks.

I agree that changes will have to come to pull us out of danger, however as our Palace friend points out, there is a long way to go, for good or for ill.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]gillespie was one of our better players last night

I thought Gillespie was excellent. He may have been a bit too good on occasions - the other players not being on the far post for crosses etc.

I think he could prove very usefull for us.
  • Options
    'you never know, a win might start a 15 match unbeaten run like we did under Warnock last season...'

What has it come to when even Palace fans are telling us to keep our chins up ?

I suspect that 15 match unbeaten run is even less likely than the never-in-a-million-years prospect of us learning to love Palace. But thanks for the encouragement, anyway!
  • Options
    every game fom now is a must win game but that aint gonna happen 7 pts from our next 3 games is a must we need a win of any sort just to give us some confidence which is lacking in all areas of our play the back four look absolutely petrified at the moment and we need our so called forwards to start taking chances not half chances by this i mean bloody sitters.
  • Options
    At the moment we need at least 38 points from 27 games. A defeat would, obviously, mean 38 points from 26.and so it goes on. At the same time the teams above us will in all probability be picking up points and stretching the gap. Are there 3 worse teams in the division at the moment? If there are I haven't seen them yet .
  • Options
    That's a very good question, March.

Based on what we have seen this season, name three teams worse than us and who must be having more sleepless nights due to relegation fears than we are...

I hate to say this and sound so disloyal, but I'm not sure I have seen one yet, let alone three.

Still hope springs eternal and all that...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]'you never know, a win might start a 15 match unbeaten run like we did under Warnock last season...'

What has it come to when even Palace fans are telling us to keep our chins up ?

I suspect that 15 match unbeaten run is even less likely than the never-in-a-million-years prospect of us learning to love Palace. But thanks for the encouragement, anyway![/quote]

I'm not even saying it in a patronising sense, it's just the way the Championship operates as we were hopeless this time last year. Not sure even why I'm saying it but if you were to drop this season, unless Millwall gain promotion next season will be 'effing boring.

We'll never "learn to love " eachother but relegation, along with the end of your parachute payments would seriously harm your long-term future and I wouldn't want to see that happen to any club, except Millwall possibly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, PP identified the problems with the defence (full back position) pre QPR game. Granted, it didn't help to the extent that we lost, and the goals came from yet more poor defending, but it's a start. Also, by all accounts, the midfield had a better balance and we at least deserved a draw. So, (trying to remain optimistic), the thing about this league is the margins are very small (as my QPR mate said, they're pretty average).

And, as Kenny Jacket rightly pointed out, the key to success is learning how to keep a clean sheet. If PP can deliver on this (and good luck to the guy) then maybe their is hope around the corner. If not, the pressure on the forwards mounts as they see every attack at the other end result in a goal. Let's face it, teams haven't really had to do much to slice us open have they?

Must win on Saturday? I think it is still too early to say that (think Hull). I think Saturday we need a CLEAN SHEET. We NEED organisation, a sense that the team is a unit, that they know what each other are doing. And, that they do individually what they are supposed to be doing.

A win on Saturday would make one hell of a lot of difference though it is not imperative (yet).
  • Options
    Sorry Chablis but it is that imperative as we can't afford the points gap to widen any further. The survival target of 52/53 points is already looking pretty difficult to achieve. Don't get me wrong, the March51 clan (both of us ) will be cheering and singing regardless for 90+minutes but a win is a MUST.
  • Options
    Well , CA, the original thread subject was not is it a 'must win' game, but is it a 'must not lose' game. You say we need a clean sheet which suggests that you agree not losing is vital, even if you don't regard a win as imperative (yet).

The problem is that if we should lose and a couple of other results (Norwich/Watford) go against us at the weekend, we could then be in a position where even if we won our next two games in a row ( something not acheived in a year ), we would still be rooted in the bottom three.

Yes, the precedents of Palace and Hull can give us hope. But once you find yourself half a dozen points adrfit from safety, it becomes very hard indeed to play catch-up.

See how worried I am? It's two in the morning and I'm still up and fretting about it !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: churley1[/cite]We (Palace) were in the same situation last season as you may all remember. The football we were playing was atrocious, very little confidence in the players and fans and it took Warnock 5 games to register a win and a few months later we were a penalty miss away from Wembley.

On the brightside, whatever happens, we are still charlton, not palarse scum
  • Options
    I might feel differently on saturday at 2.55 after a few beers but right now i'm very fearful of the game. We simply have to stop the rot, but they've got a young side who are now playing with confidence, picked up a great win at Reading at the weekend, their fans are up for it to as they've requested more tickets. If we lose the 1st goal (as we always do) i worry what might happen.
  • Options
    Agreed, Chris.

Does anyone else share my view that if we lose on Sat, the board will start interviewing for the manager's job on Monday morning?

In effect, for the second Sat running we will have a manageral future hanging on the result...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Agreed, Chris.

Does anyone else share my view that if we lose on Sat, the board will start interviewing for the manager's job on Monday morning?

In effect, for the second Sat running we will have a manageral future hanging on the result...

I'd be surprised if they hadn't already started sounding out some options.
  • Options
    You're right Nigel, I did misread the thread title! Pretty tired when I posted it. Inexcusable really!
    Yes, it's a must NOT lose game!

The points difference is indeed very worrying, and looks far more ominous after the QPR game, as has been pointed out elsewhere on the board. Our last back to back clean sheets came against Donnie and Forest, in mid September, and then we went on to lose the following game against Wednesday, so it is not a given that it would get us back on track.

However, most people (pundits) say how important it is to build on a solid foundation, and I guess that was more my point. Our defence scares me anytime we are attacked, and surely getting that right must be the priority to have any hope of securing our status in this division come May.

I have no doubt that other teams will hit drops in form, I just hope that we have more stability come xmas, and with that we will have more points on the board. Then we can spend the rest of the season building.

I'm trying to remain optimistic, in spite of the fact that I'm fearing the worst....

I do wonder what the impact would be if we were searching for a new manager come Monday morning. I guess that would depend entirely on who came in, but PP does know the players, which will either turn out to be a positive or negative thing. Although Malky M at Watford didn't get the job, he was part of the Boothroyd team at Watford and he did get a positive response from the players.