Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goal scorer

Another vital miss by Varney tonight, how many times has that happened this season?
If we don't find a goal scorer quickly we're down. Goals breed confidence and win games.
Can we afford a top goal scorer? no. So we have to unearth one from within the club.
How are we ever going to do that if blokes like Dickson aren't even getting a run out as a sub.
There's a very good chance that Dickson would have buried that chance tonight had he come on instead of Varney.
I just don't understand why both Pardew and now Parky are being so stubborn on this issue. It doesn't mater if he's not ready yet, it just takes one shot to score a goal and that's what we need right now.

Comments

• Options
    Dickson is crap. Accept it!
  • Options
    Never seen him play, may well be crap. I don't care how crap he is so long as he thumps that round thing in the back of the net.
    Without being given a chance we'll never know for sure.
  • Options
    Its a chicken and egg.............I do believe we do have goalscorers at the club,and yes that does include Varney. The reason why is because they have done it at other clubs on a consistant basis. What worries me is that players leave i.e Big Chris, Lisbie, Charlie Macdonald, Scott Macleish, who dont score on a regular basis for us and go to other clubs and score for fun. We can bring players who get between 15 and 25 a in the previous season i.e Gray, Varney, Macleod, Toddy (when fit) and it all dries up.

Could it be the service that is a problem ,or we dont play to our strikers strengths
  • Options
    Despite our poor run, we've still scored 8 goals on our last five games - three of which were away games, and all of them we were on the back foot throughout most of the game.

The problem lies with the fact we've conceded 15 in those five games. The defence is all over the shot and QPR's goals tonight highlighted that. We're letting in so many from set pieces and crosses its getting ridiculous. Hudson is a shadow of the player from the start of the season, and Primus looks like a player who's spent a long time out injured. Also, Youga and Cranie just can't get close enough to their man to stop the crosses coming in.

We might not be the most prolific scoring team, but we are scoring goals. The back four problem needs to be addressed soon, because even if we had a 20+ goal a season striker we'd still go down. Time to say thanks but no thanks to Cranie & Primus and see who else is available in January.
  • Options
    Two goals by our strikers in open play in 11 matches and 1000 minutes of football cannot be blamed entirely on poor service.

Dexter Blackstock didn't get very many quality balls in to him tonight, either, but he managed to sculpt two goals out of the scraps he did get...

Why this is I don't know. As WhenIWas points out, most of our strikers have done it at other clubs. Apart from Waghorn... god, the more I think about that signing, the odder and more desperate it seems.

Absolutely no excuse now not to give Dicko a run. Maybe even Fleetwood,too.
  • Options
    IMO Fortune needs to come back in ASAP
  • Options
    agreed with fortune,young waggy run his nuts off tonight and i would have backed him to put varney's chance away.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]agreed with fortune,young waggy run his nuts off tonight and i would have backed him to put varney's chance away.

Maybe he would have put it away but would the chance have arisen in the first place?

The radio commentary suggested to me that most of our chances came when Varney was out there.

I wasn't there so can't say for sure.
  • Options
    sorry len but varney's confidence is shot to pieces,i spoke to nla who said the radio commentary said waggy had done diddly sqat uteer bollox.Waggy was very industrious runnin the channels and did well
  • Options
    Just typical that every decent chance seems to be falling to Varney ATM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]sorry len but varney's confidence is shot to pieces,i spoke to nla who said the radio commentary said waggy had done diddly sqat uteer bollox.Waggy was very industrious runnin the channels and did well
    Well, I was there & I thought Waggy was pretty ineffective & poor. He didn't have the strength to hold off the QPR defenders & never once anticipated the flick ons from Gray or the passes from midfield. To me he looked like a young kid playing against a bunch of grown men. I think the radio commentator got it spot on.
  • Options
    I thought the young lad did well myself. I dont think Varney bought anything to the game...if anything we reverted to type when he and Sam came on....Varney was all over the place and the miss was shocking...he needs a run in the reserves to bring back his confidence.
  • Options
    Surely that has got to be something wrong with the shooting practice they are having in training. Even though it is just the warm up, watching them do shooting practice before a game is a harrowing experience, open goal on saturaday, 4 or 5 of our front players taking pot shots - one of which was on target in 5 minutes. I know it is only a warm up, but christ almighty if they can't score in an open goal with no pressure how the hell are they going to score surrounded by defenders and an onrushing keeper.

I think waghorn could well be good one day, his pass that led to Boazza's goal was brilliant, but as you all have said, he is yet another player that does not look likely to score. He needs time to bed into the side, time we simply don't have, already we are three points away from 21st place plus we have an awful goal difference.

I personnaly rate varney as a good winger, not as a striker. Why we wasted one of our loans for the season for Waghorn is beyond me...
  • Options
    Just watched Iwelumo score 2 brilliant goals for Wolves with his feet. Why we let him go I don't know...when Reid left he was starved of service and went a bit cold. If we had a real winger who could have crossed the ball from the byline instead of lumping it up to him from the back. Another piece of shrewd business by Pards !!!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]Just watched Iwelumo score 2 brilliant goals for Wolves with his feet. Why we let him go I don't know...when Reid left he was starved of service and went a bit cold. If we had a real winger who could have crossed the ball from the byline instead of lumping it up to him from the back. Another piece of shrewd business by Pards !!!![/quote]

Because Pards was clueless. Why was Semedo left out for so long. Why didn't Racon get a game last season when he is clearly a very good player. I wouldn't trust his judgment on any player because he made so many dreadful errors in both buying players and letting the wrong ones go.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The strikers have put the whole side under pressure

So to get us out of the mire up front we have:

Main 2 strikers who won't get 10 goals in a season, yet Pardew paid nearly £4milion quid for.
    2 Non League players
    2 injury prone players
    1 18 year old

Give you a clue. . . . .
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]sorry len but varney's confidence is shot to pieces,i spoke to nla who said the radio commentary said waggy had done diddly sqat uteer bollox.Waggy was very industrious runnin the channels and did well[/quote]
    Well, I was there & I thought Waggy was pretty ineffective & poor. He didn't have the strength to hold off the QPR defenders & never once anticipated the flick ons from Gray or the passes from midfield. To me he looked like a young kid playing against a bunch of grown men. I think the radio commentator got it spot on.[/quote]

Pete the commentator also said that Andy Gray didnt win a flick or header until 45 mins in the first half and the only time he mentioned his name in the 2nd was for a foul on the half way line
  • Options
    i must have been watchin a different game.
  • Options
    So from what i can gather from what i was tol by those there annd by clive flasher wnlker

Waghorn made good runs into the channels and harried and hurried the defenders but did get eased off the ball easily

Gray was non existant to the point where it took him 45 mins to win a header against his centre half and that he fouled someone on the half way line and that was his sole contribution

Varney looked lively (as he does) but couldnt hit a barn door and should not have missed the opportunity with 20 mins to go

correct or incorrect
  • Options
    i don't get the varney looked lively bit did what he always does missed a sitter let's play him on the wing and see if he can nick a goal from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    apparently bud i dont believe it but he made space and made more chances with his movement than the other 2 all night, i dont even want him on the wing the midfield sounded ok last night

i would drop him all the way down the list send him to brighton and bring fleetwood back
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Dickson is crap. Accept it!

That may well be the case. Killer was also a "crap" footballer but knew where the goal was. Varney is a decent footballer but doesn't. Which of the two qualities Salad wins games?

Dickson's goalscoring record wherever he's played suggests he MIGHT make the difference but, now that we have a lonie that we are "pot committed" to playing, we're unlikely to find out in the forseeable future.