Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Face it

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
The win against Chelsea 4v 2 (seems donkeys years back) and that team may be the closest we ever get to be a VERY VERY good outfit. It may be a long long time before we ever (if ever) get back there.

BUT we have been very very very lucky to have seen:
*Some of the greatest teams play at THE VALLEY
*CAFC players pulling on the 3 Lions shirt
*Some players that will be in any CAFC fans greatest ever 11.
* 20,000 + crowds for 8 seasons
* Actually played and stayed in the top football league in the world
* Beat some of the Worlds best footbal teams

Millions of footie fans would die to have been on the journey that we have been.

Yes we are shit now --------------- but we have been lucky to have had GOOD times.

Comments

• Options
    and for those recent good times i thank Sir Alan Curbishley for making it possible, i for one, have and will always appreciate the miracles he achieved for our team
    it may not have been exciting enough and too dull for the football purists that follow charlton but look where we are without him and ffs we're charlton not brazil 1970 you *****
  • Options
    accepted gh i am very proud of that but it sort of makes me angrier that the issues we know have are bourn from poor mgmt
  • Options
    GH - Think you are right with that - That Boxing Day game was the best Christmas present from Charlton ever!
  • Options
    Excellent post GH.
  • Options
    Agree with you GH but never say never. It was hard sometimes to see in the 80's and 90s that we would be playing football at all let alone in the top flight, at the Valley and with England internationals in the side.

There has been poor management and key decisions (Curbs replacement being the key one) we got wrong. Not happy about that or where we are now but not going to stop believing that the good times will come again some day. It seems a fecking long way off at the mo but Charlton till I die.

[cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]and for those recent good times i thank Sir Alan Curbishley for making it possible, i for one, have and will always appreciate the miracles he achieved for our team
    it may not have been exciting enough and too dull for the football purists that follow charlton but look where we are without him and ffs we're charlton not brazil 1970 you *****

But surely you must think that this run in the Championship is more excting Oohaah, new grounds to visits, new teams to lose to? : - )

While it had to come to an end sometime that doesn't mean he wasn't fantastic for us. I'd take a few ground out 0-0s and an end of season slump when we are already safe in the prem right now.

As the poet R J Mitchell said "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone. They paved paradise, put up a parking lot"
  • Options
    What ?
    They've knocked down Dog Kennell Hill ??
  • Options
    GH - I said as much to my stepson once. He became a Charlton supporter in '96 aged 12 and rode the crest of the recent wave. If we're into quotes I'd like to throw in - "You've never had it so good"
  • Options
    'There has been poor management and key decisions (Curbs replacement being the key one) we got wrong. '

That is the main reason why its gone belly up and boy arnt they paying for it.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]GH - I said as much to my stepson once. He became a Charlton supporter in '96 aged 12 and rode the crest of the recent wave. If we're into quotes I'd like to throw in - "You've never had it so good"[/quote]

"The favorite phrase of those who've always had it better"
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Henry Jnr. One of his best mates is QPR and he is going to get it at School. He's grown up on Prem football and now who knows what awaits him.

However he is Addickted. What have I done to him? ; - )

Dowie, Pardew, Parker, Zebeel, damn you all, damn you all to hell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]'There has been poor management and key decisions (Curbs replacement being the key one) we got wrong. '

If only we could get our hands on one of the Governments secret time machines and go back to May 06!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]'There has been poor management and key decisions (Curbs replacement being the key one) we got wrong. '

Should have dug their heels in and got the bloke at Colchester that they wanted in the first place.

Whatever happened to him? : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

If only we could get our hands on one of the Governments secret time machines and go back to May 06!

Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling are frantically searching for the keys as we speak!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Great post that game was the high point but the one that reminds me most of what we used to be was the 3-3 with man U. Robbo's equaliser is still with me.
  • Options
    'Should have dug their heels in and got the bloke at Colchester that they wanted in the first place.

Whatever happened to him? : - ) '

still would have been a bad move they went for cheap option/s. The amount they have paid out on severance fees on managers, coaches, backroom staff, the 15 million quid paid out of their own pockets into the club they could have given it to Capello to be our boss at the time !!!!! They didnt get lucky with the cheap option like they did with Curbishley they were lucky that he was a good manager and got them rewards in the form of premiership tv money. Sorry they are too blame for this mess but hey its their money and who else is there to take it on.
  • Options
    Bang on GH............will be great stories to tell the grandchildren.....
  • Options
    GH - I don't agree with many of your opinions but that is on the nail for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Should have dug their heels in and got the bloke at Colchester that they wanted in the first place.

Whatever happened to him? : - )

I was just thinking today how different our history might have been if the Colchester chairman had not blocked us talking to Parkinson back in May 2006. If we had spoken to him then he would clearly have been offered the job ahead of Dowie and who knows how things might have turned out.

He surely would not have bought the tripe that Dowie did and which has haunted us ever since.

The ridiculous thing is that Parkinson walked away from Colchester a couple of weeks later but we had already appointed Dowie by that stage.....
  • Options
    would he still have reed and robson as his coaching staff?
  • Options
    In responce to the starting points of the thread.

Yes a great memory, I had a Chelsea fan with me that Boxing day, how sweet it was to see him sitting on his seat most of the game while I was out of mine as the four goals went in. It was a great performance as much as the result. I couldn't take the smirky smile off my face as we sat having a drink after.

The Man U 3-3 was typical of us at that time never say die attitude. I remember telling everyone around me as we pulled it back to 2-3 we will get the equaliser now. Not really believing it but hoping. Of course there were strange looks and yeah ok. Then Robbo hitting it just inside the far post from the East stand angle. The place erupted.

You have to keep your belief that the seemingly impossible is possible. During the dark decades of the 60's & 70's (apart from the odd blip) we were dire but I always believed we would get back to our historical heydays.

Curbishley with the help of the board restored the pride in the name Charlton Athletic as much as gave us our best success since those times. At least now we have a board that care as much as all fans and a ground to be proud of. The good times will return eventually even though it might take many turbulent seasons to achieve.

The big factor is will the fans stay and support the club or drift away as they did from the late fifties and through the decades after, aiding the demise.