Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My Take on Last Night

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
People (admittedly those that weren't there) have moaned about Gray and Waghorn last night. Let me tell you that these two put a real shift in up front, they both ran their socks off and many many times in especially the first half they were closing the QPR back 4 down really quickly forcing sliced clearances to the stands and rushed passes back to their keeper. This is something that other teams have done to us on numerous occasions both last season and this and we hadn't seem to be putting that sort of graft in.
I don't think too much will need to be changed Saturday. I thought Semedo and Racon were an awesome pairing in the middle and much as I like Bailey he's gonna have to really work to get back in the team in my opinion. I think Crainie also did ok, I can see the logic in playing him as he'd had a stint on loan at QPR previously and they obviously rated him highly.
The two most worrying things for me are Youga at left back, the guy just scares the hell out of me his passing always seems wayward and he seems to wear ice skates as he slips all over the place. I'd play Basey personally. The other thing that worries me is I actually quite like the pairing of Hudson and Primus as both are clearly good defenders, however the ease that opposition strikers seem to get acres of space in our penalty area is really alarming, both goals last night Blackstock was unmarked with no one within 5 yards of him. This simply has to stop. Fortune for Primus maybe?
Gillespie and Bouaza looked really dangerous last night and the talk of accomadating Varney on the wing is farcical in my opinion. I'd stick with these two as they're both different but also look like they'll make things happen. The pair of them played a big part in our goal last night.
We were clearly the better side and deserved at least a point if not all 3. QPR really didn't offer much and scored from their 2 meaningful attacks. It's probably why I'm still hurting this morning because we really went out there and fought. We looked a good team just lacking a little bit going forward maybe but I fear for us at home just because I think the team are terrified to play there at the moment, it's away I think we'll get our first win.

Comments

• Options
    good to know
  • Options
    Come on charlton...

good to here, even from the thread it seemed we played well... and were pushing for a winner......
  • Options
    Well I was definitely there (my feet have only just about warmed up) and I can tell you that if you think Gray put in an acceptable shift last night your standards are clearly that of somebody who is happy to support a League One team - he didn't win a single header or make a single run either in a channel or behind the defence or come towards Racon and Semedo when they had possession to help build an attack. Running around a bit and occasionally closing down a backpass to the keeper isn't really quite enough given the situation we're in.

However, I definitely agree that the centre-half pairing look really poor - you only have to look at the goals conceded tally.
    When was the last time we had a clean sheet?
    Fortune has to come in for one of them on Saturday and I think there's an argument for Cranie moving alongside him to replace the other one.
    Youga, I think we all agree, is a total disaster and should never be allowed to darken our famous shirt again.
  • Options
    Sound encouraging, especially on the wing.
  • Options
    I too thought Gray and Waggy run their socks off....The Cb's do look a bit shaky and well Youga...Im surprised that he was even in the squad.....Varney a run in the reserves as stated on another thread....bought nothing to the team
  • Options
    agree totally with you redarmy. thought we were extremely unlucky not to get anything out of last night, played well and fought hard.

I think the ball had gone out on their first goal, but as every 8 year old will tell you, you don't stop playing until the whistle is blown. it was a poor goal to give away but our goal was magic, we must have passed it around for 10/15 minutes, i counted maybe a hundred passes.

Overall, very encouraging. I just hope we can get something out of saturday - but more importantly, put in a similar performance. Play like that week in week out and we'll be fine.
  • Options
    RedArmySE7, that comment about our strikers "running their socks off" is so typical of most chalrton fans, and I am one by the way, although im struggling to be when I hear comments like that.

We have had some excellent players over the years, with great ability, that have received loads of abuse from most of our supporters. On the other hand, frankly useless players, with zero ability, are hero worshiped just coz they "put a shift in" lol. In that case, why not randomly pick some of us supporters to play instead, get our fitness levels up and we wont be far short of these players.

That is exactly the reason we are where we are, you all boo the better players we have, completely drain them of confidence, we are then left with the blokes who put a shift in, frankly poor players, if compared like to like with conference players, wouldnt be significantly better.
  • Options
    Cant agree with that comment Rufus, but respect your opinion mate...thats what forums are all about.
  • Options
    I don't think that's right. Apart from 15 mins in the middle of the second half where qpr had their best spell, gray held the ball up well, as well as putting their defenders under. The best players are the ones who put in the effort and have the skill, but i'd much rather an honest fighter than a sulky poncer (e.g jeffers) anyday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: rufus2005[/cite]RedArmySE7, that comment about our strikers "running their socks off" is so typical of most chalrton fans, and I am one by the way, although im struggling to be when I hear comments like that.

We have had some excellent players over the years, with great ability, that have received loads of abuse from most of our supporters. On the other hand, frankly useless players, with zero ability, are hero worshiped just coz they "put a shift in" lol. In that case, why not randomly pick some of us supporters to play instead, get our fitness levels up and we wont be far short of these players.

That is exactly the reason we are where we are, you all boo the better players we have, completely drain them of confidence, we are then left with the blokes who put a shift in, frankly poor players, if compared like to like with conference players, wouldnt be significantly better.

I think you've got me all wrong, I've always backed the likes of Zheng, Toddy, Ambrose, Jensen etc. (even Thomas) over recent times as they have the quality needed to unlock defences when others have branded them lazy good for nothings etc. If you are ever lucky enough to see me play you'll know why ;o)!
    My point is more that in recent games (the Barnsley game sticks out) we had much poorer players out working us especially the strikers and our defence really folded under pressure. Our attitude in these games has lacked real fight that excuse me if I'm wrong but when you're at the foot of any table you need!
    Last night we had fight right throughout the team and we defended from the front for the first time in ages. Seeing the strikers work hard to close down their defenders really pleased me.
    I'd love to be in a position where we could have 6 workers and 4 real quality players who were left to work their magic but when we're in the bottom 3 everyone has got to "work their socks off" to get us out of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Support was vocal, song of the night for me was 'we are charltons red and white army' liked that and it went on for a while................
    Gotta say qpr's support was shocking, both in numbers and vocally, only time both sets of fans really sang at each other was when they went 2-1 up and that only lasted 5 mins.
    Hard for me to say how many were there for us as i was right at the end of the stand, at a guess, 6-700?
    I do like the old school grounds though, getting few and far between now.
  • Options
    I think the main point regarding the strikers hasn't been mentioned so far. Andy Gray's strengths are that he plays with his back to goal like a lot of big old fashioned centre forwards. To be successful with that, you need to have the 2nd striker being one that is looking to get behind the defence. Waghorn looks a near little player, but him and Gray are not a good match because Wag is one who is looking to drop off into the hole and pick up the ball short, rather than get behind.

The net result is that we QPR could hold quite a solid and flat back line that is difficult to breakdown because there was no one really pushing them back or making runs behind.

Well apart from being gutted about losing a game it seemed impossible to lose, i had a real good night.

Good laugh in the pub beforehand, lesbian action on the tube, stood throughout and had a good old sing song, no real barracking of the team, couldn't fault one player for effort, and thought the midfield four was superb.

WE ARE CHARLTON'S RED N WHITE ARMY !
  • Options
    in hindsight, maybe my comments are more aimed at the time in the premiership rather than where we are now, where unfortunately you do need fighters as there is not much time on the ball to play.

Although I think in this league we can compare ourselves with Arsenal in the prem, when we beat them for example. We only really beat teams like Arsenal and the other top teams, by shear effort and energy. But the problem was, we would be mentally and emotionally drained by January, and then plummet. While the top teams would always improve consistently as they had players with much more "quality". Surely we can do likewise in this league, if the more talented players find their feet. but in order to do that they dont need booing everytime they try to dribble past someone and get tackled. Because the majority of times, even when someone like Cristano Ronaldo runs at someone, he ends up losing the ball, but when he does beat his man, goals or assists will follow.

But saying all of that, god almighty, this league is bloody hard aint it, you dont get more than 2 seconds on the ball before some donkey's trying to hack you down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]stood throughout and had a good old sing song, no real barracking of the team, couldn't fault one player for effort, and thought the midfield four was superb.

WE ARE CHARLTON'S RED N WHITE ARMY !

Only my second away game of the season last night and was very impressed with the support.
    If only we could get the crowd on Saturday to be half as good as last night it would be quality.

Loved the "Charlton give us a wave" aimed at the guy sat in the QPR end with CAFC shirt on.

Only negative for me was the total fecking moron sat a few rows back from me who just shouted a stream of negativity from start to finish.
    I honestly don't know why people like that go, I don't think there was any player on our team that escaped his barracking.
    He struck me as the kind of person that would almost be disappointed if we started winning, absolute plum.
  • Options
    Lesbian action on the tube?!
  • Options
    Yeah till we realised there dad was sitting opposite!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Lesbian action on the tube?!

LOL all the football stuff on this thread and you pick up that! Although the lesbian action was a highlight, until we realised one the girls' dad was sitting opposite!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Lesbian action on the tube?!

LOL all the football stuff on this thread and you pick up that! Although the lesbian action was a highlight, until we realised one the girls' dad was sitting opposite!
    Yeah, sorry about that, I have a radar for these sorts of things!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, sorry about that, I have a radar for these sorts of things![/quote]Don't worry, you're not the only one...after a while all the football talk just merges and the word LESBIAN is bound to stick out!!!
  • Options
    strange how differently people see the game.
    i left in a more positive mood last night than i have done for quite a while.
    first half was a bit scrappy, but with gillespie and waghorn new, and a new central midfield pairing, there was bound to be a period of getting used to one another.
    bad mistake for their goal, where we just watched the ball waiting for it to go out of play.
    the things that i was most pleased with were (especially in the second half)
    the high tempo we played.
    we seemed to have more possesion higher up the pitch.
    we were dragging their players all accross the pitch, switching play, at pace, between the wide men.
    racon and semedo looked comfortable.
    gillespie and especially bouazza looked a threat.
    gray/bouazza/waghorn/gillespie didn't let up when we didn't have possesion, causing qpr to make mistakes.

there are still many things need working on, but seeing that improvement over 3 days of parkies reign is imo encouraging.
    how much of this observation was down to the opposition we played, i don't know. but if we carry on playing as we did in the second half, with a bit of composure/luck in front of goal, i don't think it'll be long before we start climbing out of the relegation zone.

must be something to do with the hokey-cokey with kinsella at half time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought there were some positive signs but I think the key fact and the most worrying one was that QPR were in fact very poor themselves but we still didn't get anything out of the game.

This wasn't like going to a decent side like Wolves, Brum or Sheff Utd and not getting anything - they were a weak side who will be mid-table at best this season in my opinion.

And despite lots of positive signs from the midfield, the defence looked very dodgy and our strikers didn't really create anything.
  • Options
    After 3 days of Parky, you mean we didn't look like a promotion side?

;o)
  • Options
    The first goal came from a ball that was def. out of play, looked as though the defence pulled up because of that. But I got a lot of positives from the game especially Racon and Gillespie. No to Youga and Varney, working hard is admirable but we don't have the luxury of time to nurse players through bad patches, if that is what they are. Brilliant support.