Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scarfman

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
Oakster, Riscardo, Clem Side etc will love this.

There is a Charlton fan called Mark our group has always referred to as 'Scarfman'

Scarfman is legally blind with extremely limited vision, and has been seen over the years with an assortment of sticks, dogs, helpers and dark glasses. He is a lovely lad, who used to regularly turn up for our Charlton supporters games. We once let him come on as a sub for a game so he could take a throw on and it appeared the highlight of his year. He was also told once where our sunday team was playing the next day by a player called Kev (who wasn't even going to play), and he turned up at Dartford Heath not knowing which pitch to go to so just stood in the middle screaming 'KEV' for five minutes until i clocked him and led him to our pitch.

Anyway, i can't help thinking he has been playing us all these years !!

Last night at QPR Scarfman was sitting in the home end, proudly wearing his Charlton shirt. After about 10 minutes others clocked him and started seeing 'Charlton give us a wave'. I was trying to urge people to leave it out, that he is blind, won't know what's going on etc, whent the next thing you know Scarfman leaps to his feet and starts waving at the away end like a bloomin pop star !!

Comments

• Options
    Not deaf then : - )
  • Options
    lol - thats brilliant.
  • Options
    Myself, Plaaayer and heroin addick found this hillarious as AFKA had his serious face making us feel bad for singing! Then up the guy jumped waving away happy as larry!
  • Options
    I'm still fecking laughing about that now, just as you start telling everyone the bloke is blind he suddenly jumps up! Ha, ha!!!
  • Options
    did the QPR fans mind?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]did the QPR fans mind?

no, he was sitting in a pretty empty block
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]did the QPR fans mind?

They didn't bat an eyelid, there were about 4 rounds of "give us a wave" throughout the game and he happily obliged every time!
  • Options
    He took their end on his own. Seriously though fair play to him, had a good laugh when we he waved back!
  • Options
    I thought that was great. The guy was obviously loving it.

one of the highlights of my evening!
  • Options
    Fantastic!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I remember Scarfman actually playing at a CIFC tournament at Mottingham. Sounds like he's still a character.

I'm Spartacus.
  • Options
    Quality ... can't we play him at left back then ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    I'm Spartacus.

More like Sporticus...................maybe not (I know I can talk!)
  • Options
    Heart warming tale ..... brilliant!
  • Options
    That was bloody funny...........
    And i didnt know the story behind him, so its made it even better, i was right up the other end of the stand but remember thinking, "hows he getting away with sitting over there" now it all makes sence, quality.
  • Options
    i've sat next to / near 'scarfman' on a number of occassions - usually fully kitted out (inc shorts and socks) - top man ;-)
  • Options
    Quality story.

I clearly remember Scarfie after the Ipswich play-off win, standing outside the Rose of Denmark giving the w@nker sign to coach load upon coach load of Ipswich fans as they crawled along in the traffic.

He was dressed in full home kit, one of those comedy baseball caps with a pair of hands applauding, black work shoes & a rucksack with a home-made flag stuck in the back.

Those poor Ipswich fans couldn't have felt any more humiliated.
  • Options
    The bloke is a legend.

He can often be found sitting in the main stand at Welling hurling abuse at the opposition.

I actually think he is run very close in the "legend" stakes by Fantasy Island. Those of you who know me will know who I mean.

Will never forget him standing in the road outside the Oak with a tinfoil Premier League trophy. He chased the the Chelsea team coach up the road, cheered on by the drunken masses he then starts leaping around like an epilectic salmon. Not realising a scooter is heading his way........he promptly gets run down. I hasten to add he was ok, absolutely priceless.

I believe he was also on the front page of a local paper after claiming his car was stolen during a match. The paper in question ran a long story saying that it was a disgrace that a car with a blue badge in it could be stolen. It turns out he had forgotten where he parked it!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not deaf then : - )

LOL
  • Options
    Clem, re. Fantasy Island's car....

It was missing for around two months and had clocked up about £2k in parking tickets !!! All because it was parked 2 roads away from where he thought he parked it !

It is the most i have ever laughed reading a local paper. Must be in archives somewhere !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sums up the authorities though, a car is reported stolen and clocks up parking tickets surely at some stage a check is made on the owner!!
  • Options
    According to Kev, who gave him a lift home after one CIFC game, Scarfman is an excellent mimic and does a mean Eminem...

Remember him playing for CIFC up on Blackheath vs York in the early days, when we arranged for him to come on and score a goal right at the very end - I think he used that goal as his reasoning for us to play him at centre forward for our next few games....only a Charlton team would feature a blind centre forward....(insert own joke here).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Will never forget him standing in the road outside the Oak with a tinfoil Premier League trophy. He chased the the Chelsea team coach up the road, cheered on by the drunken masses he then starts leaping around like an epilectic salmon. Not realising a scooter is heading his way........he promptly gets run down. I hasten to add he was ok, absolutely priceless.

I believe he was also on the front page of a local paper after claiming his car was stolen during a match. The paper in question ran a long story saying that it was a disgrace that a car with a blue badge in it could be stolen. It turns out he had forgotten where he parked it!!!!!!

lololol. two very good stories Clem

Can i ask tho, how blind is he? driving a car?
  • Options
    oh shit... i've misread that completely!!!

fantasy island got knocked down and had his car stolen not the blind fella?!!!
  • Options
    Correct.