Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So to summarise...

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
Whilst I had a hope that Pardew had turned a corner after seeing the performances against Plymouth and Birmingham it was apparent that he should have walked at half time vs Sheff Utd to save himself from a lot of aggro. He had lost the crowd, players and and management. His half hearted clap to the North Stand was a sad end to his tenure after so much initial promise. I truly believed afterthumping West Ham that we would stay in the premiership but draws against Sheff Utd and Reading put an end to that. Last season we let oursleves down by only taking 2 from 12 vs Colchester and Scunthorpe, two relegated sides.

However I believe it was right that he was moved on and that Phil Parkinson takes the helm. The thing that cheers me is that he does not come with any historic 'Charlton' baggage and he is not a 'new wave' manager ala Dowie full of text book BS. Let's give the guy a chance he has made some sensible moves. I don't want Curbishley or any ex premiership manager they don't have a nous for thsi level IMHO.

Youga and Mooty are poor full backs, Youga is so unsure and indecisive, Mooty leaves sheds load of room. Both allow crosses to come in too easily stretching our centre backs. Cranie playing a disciplined role at RB, the new lad at LB from Derby plus the return of JF gives us hope. I reckon Mooty would make a good right side midfielder but what do I know. What is clear is that we need to shut up shop at the back, as I have said previously defend from the front attack from the back.

Sam has been all huff and puff all season, Gillespie's experience should help steady the ship.

Varney has tried hard and genuinely given his all, but has frustratingly fallen short at times in front of goal. He may well go on and do a 'Lisbie'. Good luck to him.

Racon and Semedo should seek to cement the midfield slots

Weaver is a good keeper overall. Any mistakes by a goal keeper are magnified. On balance he has saved us more often than let us down. He made for eg a stunning save at Sheff Wed away last season... world class

Finally our crowd... yes a minority of nausea enducing whingers my hope is that they put their effort into supporting rather than alienating their team.

So having got that lot off my chest I am looking forward to Saturday. My dad (81) and Ms Lat are coming to the game and we are looking forward to a new hroizon. The past two years has been very painful for club and supporter, it is critical now that we do not desert our club and give ourselves every opportunity to get a run of results together and climb the table. Leeds and Leicester... please no, Come on you Reds!

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant post.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]

Youga and Mooty are poor full backs, Youga is so unsure and indecisive, Mooty leaves sheds load of room. Both allow crosses to come in too easily stretching our centre backs. Cranie playing a disciplined role at RB, the new lad at LB from Derby plus the return of JF gives us hope. I reckon Mooty would make a good right side midfielder but what do I know. What is clear is that we need to shut up shop at the back, as I have said previously defend from the front attack from the back.

!

You're right to concentrate on the defense. We've scored 2,2,2,1 in our last four games so there's not really a problem in attack. With a decent defense we'd have got 7-ish points.
  • Options
    Lovely post Lats, we're in the minority but it's nice to see some positive outlooks on here today :-)
  • Options
    **BUMP**

good post
  • Options
    Great post Lats.
  • Options
    Great post apart from the silly "nous" word. That belongs to Pardew and it should stay with him!
  • Options
    We really need to get someone in to oversee and do something about our defensive frailties, cut out the mistakes and you reduce the number of goals conceded. Perhaps the best thing that Parky can do is bring in a defensive coach.
  • Options
    Never a truer word said Mr Latimer. Sums up my views completely I'd say.
  • Options
    With you lats
  • Options
    as for defence, Primus and Hudson must be the slowest centre-half pairing in the division so JF will surely be in for Primus and Jay Thingy can but be a big improvement on Youga, it is a shame for Basey but we keep getting caught out at the back and we need some quicker legs at the moment.

So we should be much improved tomorrow - as for right back, Semedo is the best but more important to have him in midfield, Cranie and Moots both have their faults - probably agree with choosing Cranie as the more able defender for the moment, even though I like to see Moots - hopefully we can see a lot more of him once we have got our act together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WIth such a short midfield I think that PP will go for as much height as possible in the back four.
  • Options
    Good work Lats ;
    What about Bailey ?
  • Options
    Bailey's gone off the boil, he'll come good again for now Parky's pairing of Semedo and Racon seems the right way to go.
  • Options
    How many of our (7) loanies will be at the club come January ?
    Just what we need -
    more consistancy !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]How many of our (7) loanies will be at the club come January ?
    Just what we need -
    more consistancy !

Well 5, I expect .......

People like Gillespie and Burton, if they settle and want to sign will be free transfers with permanent contracts.

Primus ....... maybe he gets his loan extended, too slow for the Prem, I would think.
    Cranie and Buzz, season long but can be recalled in Jan.

If Waggy fits, he'll stay for 3 months ..... can they get hs loan extended/renewed like Josh Wright at Barnet last year?
  • Options
    Who says we like Burton?!

He ain't played a game yet - I'm neither for nor against it - but I'd still rather have Varney
  • Options
    Lol, Supa ...... you got me there - I can see now that what I wrote can read 2 different ways!

I didn't mean we the people like them, but that loan players, for instance, like Gillespie and Burton will be signed permanently.
  • Options
    Very well set out post Lats, and a view i currently agree with wholeheartedly*

*Whilst reserving the right to completely change my mind tomorrow !
  • Options
    Good post Lats, as usual. Only thing I disagree on slightly as Mootookil, I don't think he's that bad a full back, certainly more attacking than defensive and needs to tighten up but you can't put him in the same bracket as Youga who, for me, is finished in The Shirt.
  • Options
    Like that post Lats, said what I didn't know I was thinking till I read it! :0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]We really need to get someone in to oversee and do something about our defensive frailties, cut out the mistakes and you reduce the number of goals conceded. Perhaps the best thing that Parky can do is bring in a defensive coach.

He has, BFR - it's Phil Chapple :-(

Sorry, I must try harder to resist such comments.

That's a great post, Lats. I don't agree with all of it, but do support the sentiment. Listening on Tues it did sound like we had turned a corner, but I'm just hoping their late goal didn't put paid to that. I can't help but be concerned when we replace Varney with a very poor man's Marcus Bent, and when I hear that Dicko still isn't likely to get a look-in. I hoped Pardew going would have created a huge swell of relief and wave of optimism, but the consequences of the baggage he has left us with (and all the rest from the past 2.5 years) won't go away that easily, unfortunately.

Do give Parky and the lads a big shout for me on Sat - I hope you, old Mr Lat and young Ms Lat have lots and lots to enjoy, but above all, that we get three points somehow or other!
  • Options
    WHAT LATS SAID
  • Options
    I think Semedo is needed at fullback personally, Racon and Bailey way to go, with moo2 right back, Hud & Fortune middle - sorted.
  • Options
    A lot of good sense there Lats. There are bits I disagree with but the overall thrust is spot on.
  • Options
    Thrust ....? That's a good sounding word.
  • Options
    Not sure about McEveley, Derby are loaning him out for a reason. The Derby fans on their forum didn't rate him, and were laughing at Parkinson calling him athletic and consistent.

Can see him being like Halford. No ridiculous mistakes like Youga, but still not the answer.
  • Options
    If he helps stem the tide of laughable errors and conceding soft goals, then he's doing his job.
  • Options
    worst case scenario 3 nil down at half time.... in the words of the late great David Coleman... "Errr What Happens Next Emlynn..."
  • Options
    I agree with the main post.

In particular I agree with the comments on the full backs - they are both awful defensively. Moo2 reminds me of someone who started as a right-winger in his earlier days but was pushed down the pecking order to 3rd/4th choice due to more senior players ahead of him, until one day his coach/manager at the time decides to play him at right-back, due to the regular full-back being injured. He has a great game and thus, his new full-back position is born! As for Youga, well, don't know what he used to be, or indeed what he is now!!!!