Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAT anyone noticed any change?

edited December 2008 in Not Sports Related
Anyone noticed any change

I have not in fact in 2 cases prices have gone up one the same

Looking at a perfume last week £29.99 wanted to make sure it was the correct one go online this morning now £34.65
Got a wii remote most places sell for £34.99 ordered one at £27.53 told a mate who said great get me one now up to £32.78

Looking for a phone for one of the kids was £69.99 now the VAT has been dropped still is £69.99

Also Currys last week saying VAT savings already in place everything looked the same

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it will be as simple as seeing prices go down 2%, for some businesses finding the going tough they probably won't reduce prices but the reduced tax will help their cashflow.Similarily for some small businesses.
    Elsewhere it's so competitive that the reduction will have an effect but prices are volatile anyway, so the VAT reduction will add downward pressure but it may not be obvious since it will be in conjuntion with larger prices rises/reductions.
  • Options
    I find it hilarious that some companies (like Curry's etc) have tv advertising campaigns that go "NOW WITH NEW REDUCED VAT PRICES!!"

And the TV has gone from £999 to £599 - do people think that we are really that naive to think that is due to the VAT cut?
  • Options
    Running a small retail business it has caused me no end of problems, they should have just cut fuel duty. It is costing small operations like me money to cope with the work involved in the reduction, any extra business generated is more than offset by the cost implications and hassle generated
  • Options
    Can't you just reprogramme the til to give a cut of 2% of 17.5% VAT.

I presume it's not as easy as that ...
  • Options
    Ah you would think so but due it all being heavily computerised we are having to pay our IT providers for the software (they are snowed under by such requests and until then we have to do it manually on a system that does not let you just enter any % discount).

Great thing about this is explaining to everyone staff included that it is not actually a reduction of 2.5% but of 2.13% and seeing the lost expressions on their faces even after the explanation.

It is workable but at this busy time it is an unwanted headache for us minnows who are already trying to balance longer working hours, family and a shite football team
  • Options
    IT providers should hang their heads in shame, if their software doesn't let you change the VAT rate with the click of a button. For small business with such software, I would imagine an option to pass on the benefits of the cut (if they wish to) is to keep most prices the same but reduce some products by more than 2%.
  • Options
    I've seen that on the TV as well. It's not a reduction of 2% as they seem to be telling everyone but a reduction of 2% from the 17.5% tax.

Oh well good luck with ya IT bods
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    it's a reduction of 2.5/117.5ths
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]IT providers should hang their heads in shame, if their software doesn't let you change the VAT rate with the click of a button.

Lucrative income stream from their software users. And the user is held hostage to pay or bust.
    That's the system.
  • Options
    Poundland1.jpg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Anyone noticed any change?
    John Lewis, B&Q, Peugot, Co-op and Amazon apparently amongst the companies that have passed on the rate cut in full.
  • Options
    Amazon

Sony phone same price now as it was 2 weeks ago

DVD box set up £3.25
  • Options
    I heard that the Amazon cut is applied at checkout.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Have matchday tickets at The Valley gone down?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Have matchday tickets at The Valley gone down?
    No, and they're not going to - Waggy said so last week.
  • Options
    Which of the 3 Waggies at Charlton said that ....?

;o)
  • Options
    The one that probably earns the least!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I heard that the Amazon cut is applied at checkout.[/quote]

ha ha will check that would be easier for them
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Anyone noticed any change?[/quote]
    John Lewis, B&Q, Peugot, Co-op and Amazon apparently amongst the companies that have passed on the rate cut in full.[/quote]

We saved £16 on a carpet at JL