Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Sports Commentators?

Watching the cricket last night I realised just how much I like Richie Benaud's voice & how it has always been there, in my 30 or so years of watching the game. I also enjoy listening to David Lloyd.

On the football side I was a big Barry Davies fan - to me the voice of football more than Motty. None of the current crop really do it for me.

A big shout for Ted Lowe as well - I don't watch snooker anymore, but during it's Hurricane Higgins heyday he had the best voice for that sport.

Comments

• Options
    Sid Waddell - legend!
  • Options
    Ditto Barry Davies, class
  • Options
    Emma Jones/suzisausage
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Brian Blessed would be the greatest commentator of them all.
  • Options
    Love Stuart Hall
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Love Stuart Hall

his round up at the weekend was a load of funny nonsense! funny though.
  • Options
    These islands have been blessed during the last forty years with the likes of Peter Aliss, Peter O'Sullevan, Harry Carpenter and John Arlott, but the absolute Daddy has to be Bill Mclaren.
  • Options
    Blowers. End of.
  • Options
    No one in the world could compete with Brian Johnston, the absolute best ever, I would stop whatever I was doing when his 20 min spell on TMS came on....what I liked about Brian Moore is that when a player messed up he would say something like 'Smith couldn't quite find Jones there' or 'Carter tried a volley but just failed to connect', a very generous commentator. harry carpenter was lauded, but Reg Gutteridge was far far superior (the BBC have a way of bigging up their own to make the ordinary sports fan think they're the best). Jonathan Pearce clearly loves his footie, and is very thorough and knowledgeable, Alan green off the wireless is shockingly bad....I mean shockingly.
  • Options
    Wolstenhome let the game speak for itself and should be remembered for more just that one sentence (inspired though it was)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yung thinks Curbs is best ;).

Me Stuart Hall. I know its not proper sport but watch some of the Its A Knockout stuff on YouTube. Him laughing will have you in tears....
  • Options
    Brian Moore, no doubt in my mind one of the best.
  • Options
    Arlott. Class of one.

As a boy in the early 60s, I also enjoyed Dennis Compton's close-of-play summaries, just because of who he was. I must have been a very naive little chap because I remember asking my dad once why the great Dennis was slurring his words.

Why on earth they gave him the 6.30 close of play summary I really cannot imagine. Arl liked a glass or two of good claret, too, and I think in his later years Test Match Special diplomatically never scheduled him after tea-time...
  • Options
    When i was a little kid I was given the softback 1976 Wisden Cricket Almanac as a Xmas Present, too cut a long story short - our dog, an Afghan Hound ate most of it.

I was devastated, but my dad wrote into TMS with the story & it was read out by Arlott, Johnners and all during a lunch break - something about the dog now having more cricket knowledge than Bill Frindall!!

I wish I hadn't lost the tape of the conversation - a priceless memory.
  • Options
    Brilliant story, Oakster. Especially the line about the dog knowing more statistics than the Bearded Wonder!
  • Options
    Bill McLaren for me stands out, and think Ian Darke is good with the boxing.
  • Options
    David Lloyd is hilarious but mine is the guy who commentated Man Utd yesterday I think it was Rob Hawthorne.
  • Options
    On the down side over here have to put up with this clown spoiling many, many matches on GolTV - if i hear is stupid voice I immediately turn it off, no matter who is on.

The Yanks havent heard of Sid Waddell hence how he gets away with it........

Ray "Friggin" Hudson
  • Options
    Ian Darke is the voice of four in the morning watching Lennox, Hamed, Hatton et al. Just does not sound right doing football but boxing is the man. Jim Watt is a pleb.

Bill McClaren for the Rugby

Barry Davies and Brian Moore for the football, Richie Benuad is a good shout for the cricket but I think Atherton is a rising commentary star especially when he is sat next to Michael Holding
  • Options
    You youngsters won't know him but in the 50's on BBC radio (there wasn't much sport, especially boxing,on T.V then) the inter-round summariser was a splendid character named W. Barrington Dalby whose rich tones and BBC pronunciation often distracfed you from the fact that the latest great British hope e.g.Don Cockle was laid out on the canvas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steve Rider, 'cos he's one of us!

Seriously (Sorry Steve) - Has to be Brian Moore, an absolute Gentleman of the first degree. Had the privilege of meeting him.

Cricket - Agnew and Brian "Stop it Aggers" Johnson - anyone got a link to that commentary?

Love Brundle on F1 - thank god he's going to the beeb.
  • Options
    "The batsman Holding ,the bowlers Willey". Fnar fnar.
  • Options
    Barry Davies - the consumate professional.
    Whether it is football,hockey,Ice Hockey,skating,gymnastics he always did a quality job.
    Seoul olymics - hockey final 'And where were the German defence, and quite frankly, who cares?' - showed he was a real British sports fan although I believe he later said he regretted that commentary as he was meant to be unbiased but the emotion got the better of him.
    How he was overlooked so often for the cup final/world cups etc for that idiot Motson I will never know.

Brian Moore was good but I always thought of hime as a jinx when it came to England team.
  • Options
    Richie benaud for Cricket.... "Morning, Everone...."

Dont like how the sky boys even Martin Tyler have to have the big annoucement before the adbreak... "And Its Live!!!" as they think we are watching playstation or somthing!!
  • Options
    For me one of my favourites was Peter Jones, he used to do the big matches on Radio 2, before the days of 5 Live, TalkSport. Wonderful Welsh tones. When you just had one match live on weekday or Saturday on the radio you appriciated it more.
    European Cup nights were great too, before the overkill of the CL.
    Another radio voice I enjoyed was Brian Butler.
    Also liked Brian Moore on ITV, too young to remember him on radio - he did '66 fo BBC radio- and Barry Davis on BBC.
    These days I like Mike Ingham and John Champion.
    CMJ for cricket for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    For me, Barry Davies. No one can touch him.
    The link below is probably my all time favourite of him, bearing in mind the importance of the goal to me and every Spurs fan will never forget his immortal words "is he gonna have a crack, I think he is you know!..."

Away from football, Richie Benaud commentating on the cricket and Whispering Ted Lowe on the snooker stand out for me. "There's three reds left...and he's snookered on both of them!" Snooker has never been the same since he retired in 1996.

Ian Darke is fantastic on the boxing and I agree it feels strange listening to him doing the football. I think Sky have just about got the perfect commentating team on the cricket now, Bumble being the pick of the lot "ooh, start the car!"

Of the current crop, it has to be the the Tyler/Gray combo for the football, the rest are mediocre in comparison.

Will be interesting to see who does the F1 on BBC next year...

Barry Davies at his very best
  • Options
    David Coleman, when he used to commentate on footy - ' Toshack, Keegan, one nil'
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As mentioned above re cricket Johnners, Arlott and Benaud were all very good in their own way. I used to like the comedy value of Fred Trueman though. The other commentators would big up a fast bowler and say what do you think Fred? We all knew (including the commentators) that Fred desperately wanted to say that he's not as good or as quick as I was but couldn't!

I'm not a particular fan of horse racing but even I could appreciate the qualities of the two Peters, O'Sullevan and Bromley. I used to like Eddie Waring commentating on the Rugby league but true afficionados of the game had mixed feelings as to his abilities. Footballwise Brian Moore and Kenneth Wolstenholme for me.

Of the current crop Geoff Boycott in cricket and Brian Moore in rugby. Footballwise anyone but Alan Green.

Forgot to mention Stuart Storey who commentates on athletics and coached our rugby team years ago. Decent bloke too.
  • Options
    no votes for Murray Walker? Complete motor racing enthusiast who never holds back (even when he should)

:)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Benaud, Davies, Moore, Murray Walker - all a resounding yes, but for me it's the late, great Peter Jones.

A radio 2 commentator when they used to be the main outlet for radio commentary in the years before 5 lIve came along. He along with Bryon Butler were the voice of midweek football for me. No pundits, no bias, opinion-free and they just captured the magic of midweek football in a way few have since. Peter was a proper commentator. His son Ron can be heard on 5Live and he sounds just like his father.

I'd also put up a shout for Harry Carpenter - his boxing commentaries on Sportsnight were brilliant.