Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interest Rate cut

DA9DA9
edited December 2008 in Not Sports Related
Down 1% to 2%

good news for those on tracker mortgages

Comments

• Options
    bad news for those of us who messed up and currently stuck on ridiculously high variable rates :-(
  • Options
    Will that effect Charltons' "friendly loans"?
  • Options
    Will the Northern Wreck pass on the interest cut to their standard variable rate mortgages?

If the government bank does, then the pressure is on the private sector to follow suit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MIDLANDS ADDICK[/cite]Will that effect Charltons' "friendly loans"?

Or even their 7 player loans ...?

;o)
  • Options
    AFKA - it might well be worth paying the penalty and switching to a lower rate, worth investigating anyway
  • Options
    AFKA - If it helps my mortgage (which I took iout last September) went from £1083 back then to now being £815.94 - and thats before todays announcement

I would think its worth taking the hit mate
  • Options
    Won't make a blind bit of difference- what about income tax breaks?

That might-just- encourage people to spend in these times.
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder why I bother living within my means. I might as well spend up everything I have and wait for the government to bail me out. There certainly doesn't seem to be much point in having any savings at the moment.
  • Options
    Can someone explain to me please just how an interest only mortgage works in layman terms please.

I understand you only pay the intrest(DOH!) but what about the rest of the debt.
    Cheers
  • Options
    NR variable isn't too far off my fixed rates at the moment, assuming the government forces them to follow this it may well drop below.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Down 1% to 2%

good news for those on tracker mortgages

I'm on a tracker but my Mortgage lender won't be passing on the cut because the interest has gone below 3%. Evidently, it's in the small print. Not a happy bunny
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Can someone explain to me please just how an interest only mortgage works in layman terms please.

I understand you only pay the intrest(DOH!) but what about the rest of the debt.
    Cheers

You are supposed to save it and pay in a lump at the end. I think they ask you do an endowment or something...
    Can't say I have looked into it but I am considering it. It would give me lots of spare cash for now...and I stand to inherit a fair sum within the next 20 years

Alternatively you could do a Reggie Perrin.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

You are supposed to save it and pay in a lump at the end. I think they ask you do an endowment or something...

Cheers Swis.That's what i thought.And from what i know about endowments sounds best to steer well clear.
  • Options
    This is a right result for me.

Now paying 2.94%. Tracker at 0.94% above base rate for full term of my mortgage. Long may the low rates continue!!!
  • Options
    Just so you know- those worried about the "small print collar"

Halifax have confirmed that they will pass on the latest cut in full to their tracker rate customers......
  • Options
    Halifax last week offered us 5% rate as their standard variable for us when our fixed rate ends at the end of december. does this mean it will be lower than 5% because of the cuts today?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Just so you know- those worried about the "small print collar"

Halifax have confirmed that they will pass on the latest cut in full to their tracker rate customers......

Cheers Stanmore, that's made my day
  • Options
    Not neccasarily suze- allthough i'd expect them to cut it- standard variable isn't a tracker.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

Cheers Swis.That's what i thought.And from what i know about endowments sounds best to steer well clear.

Isn't the endowment part some sort of insurance to pay off the debt at the end?
  • Options
    In theory and if it generates enough sum - but no guarantees.

Many with interest only mortgages use it to get on the property ladder because they can then afford to borrow a higher sum than a repayment mortgage - intending to trade the property when they've increased the equity. Well that WAS the theory!

Often interest only is popular with the self-employed - because again they may need to self-certificate their status, not having the luxury of a 'guaranteed' salary paid monthly.

'Interest only' obviously has no repayment element and £ for £, is therefore cheaper to borrow - those self-employed on variable incomes then have a lower threshold of mortgage payment to find each month, so less risk that they could be re-posessed. Of course, they always pray their business will take off in the near future and then can trade up or whatever!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you borrow on an interest only mortgage, eg £200000, at the end of the specified term, or when you pay off the mortgage, from a house sale , inheritance etc. you will still owe the full £200000.

All the time you pay at least the interest on a mortgage, the bank will not repossess your home.

If anybody has any specific mortgage questions, feel free to whisper me.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Can someone explain to me please just how an interest only mortgage works in layman terms please.

Cheers[/quote]

Can't say I have looked into it but I am considering it. It would give me lots of spare cash for now...and I stand to inherit a fair sum within the next 20 years

Alternatively you could do a Reggie Perrin.....[/quote]

Stick to a straight repayment mortgage. I'm in the business and would not touch an endowment!!
  • Options
    A quick one CafcBrowm.

Does the Abbey ( if my memory serves me right, you work for them) have a collar on their trackers-

i can't find it anywhere in their T&C's or on any offers for my clients so isuspect not- but an insiders insight would be really helpful as i can't get hold of my rep at the moment..

Cheers

Stanmore
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Can someone explain to me please just how an interest only mortgage works in layman terms please.

Cheers

Alternatively you could do a Reggie Perrin.....

Well, over the last 30-odd years house prices have doubled every 7 years on average. So if buy a £200,000 house today on a 30 year mortgage, then at the end of the 30 years the house would be worth £3.2million, you sell up at that stage, pay off the £200,000 and pocket the rest.

Now house prices aren't going to keep going up over the next 30 years the way they have done, but they are going to at least treble of that period, so as long as you can downsize at that time then saving isn't necessary. Of course, if there is a prolonged global economic downturn (i.e 5-10 years rather than 1-3 years) then all bets are off, but in that situation savings still may not help as skint banks can't give you your money back and the government don't guarantee that sorts of sums you'd need to pay off a house.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]A quick one CafcBrowm.

Does the Abbey ( if my memory serves me right, you work for them) have a collar on their trackers-

i can't find it anywhere in their T&C's or on any offers for my clients so isuspect not- but an insiders insight would be really helpful as i can't get hold of my rep at the moment..

Cheers

Stanmore

I'm pleased to tell you Stanmore, that the Abbey have no collar on their BofE tracker - your new rate should therefore be 2.75%.

With my current overpayments I'm on track to be mortgage free by April :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Like i've said on here before, anyone who's still got their money in sterling is stupid enough to deserve everything that they get.
  • Options
    suspected so- wasn't for myself, just clarification for my clients as this collar is a big talking point.

Cheers Addickted.....

As a reality check for those out there about what will happen to interest payments over the next month or so...

£100,000 mortgage Interest at 5.75% = £5750pa.... £479pm

£100,000 mortgage interest at 2.75%- £2750pa. £229 pm.
  • Options
    'Like i've said on here before, anyone who's still got their money in sterling is stupid enough to deserve everything that they get.'

Hence why you shouldn't be suprised why the U.K wil sign up to the Euro in the coming years, if not months.

Otherwise we'll see the first £100 and £200 notes as hyper-inflation sets in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StoneChurchGremlin[/cite]'Like i've said on here before, anyone who's still got their money in sterling is stupid enough to deserve everything that they get.'

Hence why you shouldn't be suprised why the U.K wil sign up to the Euro in the coming years, if not months.

Otherwise we'll see the first £100 and £200 notes as hyper-inflation sets in.

1) I've got my money in sterling because I live, work and spend in the UK.

2) I would be very surprised if any Government moved us into the Euro Zone without first asking the electorate. I'm still not convinced what benefit if gives us other than to protect us from speculators. The Euro will suffer in the next few months as well, as attention is drawn to its current strength.

3) I've had a £100 note already. Who cares how many noughts there are at the end of the pound sign. Do you miss the ha'penny?

4) How much is hyper inflation - I remember inflation running at about 15% nearly 30 years ago - that was frightening. We just devalued.
  • Options
    Tracking at 0.49% above base rate, but haven't got such a huge mortgage.

Hyper inflation looks incredibly unlikely - deflation looks a darn sight more likely - like Japan in the 1990's