Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hidden tourist gem

2»

Comments

• Options
    why not get a boat down as far as greenwich, then do the greenwich stuff ?
  • Options
    fan museum, greenwich
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I googled "unusual things to do in london" and found this: unusual : tour

Without wishing to state the obvious, London has a lot of buildings. A city of 9 million should have. But amidst the tower blocks and decaying factories there are some architectural gems which can be experienced via the wonderful bus and train network.

An early morning start has to be Battersea Power Station. How close you can get depends on how secure the site it, but being able to look upwards at the huge towers should fill you with enough awe to do without the hard hat. The best way to reach the Power Station is via Battersea Park Station (or take the 344 from Vauxhall) and, avoiding the heart wrenching yelps from the dogs home, try and get as close as possible for that up-chimney view with your Canon Sureshot. It's good to see it now in all its disused glory before money is ploughed into the area and the building is turned into a giant hotel (see www.londonlostandfound.com/art/artfeatures5.htm).

From Battersea take the 344 back to Vauxhall then take the 77A over the river (shudder) towards Embankment. This brings us to the most expensive part of the day. Take the river cruise down to Greenwich; with a valid travel card you can get a third off. In 70 minutes you get to see all the river-side staple buildings, though keep a look out for the pillars of the old Chatham railway bridge in-between Blackfriars and Southwark Bridge. They had to take the top off 20 odd years ago as it would have collapsed into the Thames. I learned this and other gems from the Greenwich born-and-bred guide who gave an excellent tour, topped off with whining about the Mayor’s congestion charge.

At Greenwich get off the boat, go past the Cutty Sark and the wonderful dome of the Greenwich foot tunnel (I would recommend walking to Island Gardens and back but it’s a bit smelly), grab some pie and mash from Goddard’s pie house then march up Greenwich Park towards the Observatory. You will find a fantastic old building housing loads of clocks, or alternatively look out at the top and spot some other architectural landmarks. Two white towers on your left are the Pepys Estate; a third concrete coloured block is being converted into luxury apartments after a protracted eviction struggle leaving, at one point, a clown as the sole resident.

Run down the hill without stopping (you’ll find it difficult not to) and get the 199 towards Canada Water. Amidst the tower blocks of the Pepys you’ll see some little naval cottages. They are out of context in the area now, but are the last remnants of the navy from a time when South East London was the centre of the empire. Or something.

The 199 takes you back to Canada Water and, dare I say it, a gateway to North of the river.

Other variations would have to include the Horniman Museum, Eltham Palace, City Hall on the river and, of course, Vinopolis. It’s an old building yes, but it’s also a chance to get very squiffy amongst people pretending to be rich.
  • Options
    you could also go to the city farms there are in london - at Mudchute, Surrey Quays (even in Charlton a 2 minute walk from the valley there are deer, sheep, pigs, goats and horses)

you could also go to the canal museum near kings cross station and take a ride on the regents canal into regents zoo.
  • Options
    oh and the docklands museum is also meant to be awesome. in canary wharf over the bridge by the bars and the west india quay odeon.
  • Options
    The Dutch, only people brave enough to sail down the Thames during the plague, hence the term "Dutch Courage"

I thought it came from the habit that the soldiers had of indulging in a tipple of gin before going into battle in the wars in the low countries around the 1790s.

If you are going to be around the London Bridge/Borough Market area then there is the George Inn on Borough Road, London's oldest galleried inn and a warm place to enjoy a drink on a cold day.
  • Options
    Jack The Ripper walk was one of the best things I ever did - especially the booze up in the Ten Bells afterwards

Currently reading From Hell - the comic book by Alan Moore - anyone familiar with this?
  • Options
    I'm bringing my running gear anyway, I want to run from from Tower Bridge to Westminster and back.
    If you do that you might be better off running along the south bank, there are fewer roads to cross ( in fact, from London Bridge onwards it's a clear run all the way to the houses of Parliament).

One of the places that I would recommend would be the John Sloane Museum (http://www.soane.org/). Sloane was an architect of great repute, designer of English country houses and estates. His house is now preserved as a museum and gives an insight into the life of the 18th century English gentleman. A real hidden London hidden gem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Jack The Ripper walk was one of the best things I ever did - especially the booze up in the Ten Bells afterwards

Currently reading From Hell - the comic book by Alan Moore - anyone familiar with this?

Not read the comic - but I think I may have attended the ten bells once. I was playing on a fruit machine and this girl tapped me on the shoulder - as I turned around i realised it was her ankle on my shoulder and she was not wearing any underwear. I didn't even know it was that sort of pub!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite]Sir John Soane's museum in holborn.

a real hidden gem and then a walk around The Temple and Lincoln Inn Fields. See where the Football Association was formed.

Brick Lane and Columbia Row markets.

THe Museum at St Thomas Hospital is good.

For stuff off the beaten track there is the Victorian Pumping station at Crossness near Abbey Wood or the dinosaurs at Crystal Palace park.

Dulwich Gallery and Dulwich Park and Village are worth a trip as well.

Just having a wander around the City of London is worthwhile. Every Church has a bit of history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tour of The Valley, London SE7 with Kevin Nolan and/or Ian Cartwright is a must.
  • Options
    back to the Dutch
    'Folorn Hope' is a phrase that comes from the Dutch 'Verloren Hoop', which was a suicide squad of Dutch Soldiers sent out on a diversionary or sacrificial mission in advance of an attack or battle with little chance of survival...or from wiki;

'In the days of muzzle-loading muskets it was most frequently used to refer to the first wave of soldiers attacking a breach in defences during a siege. It was likely that most members of the forlorn hope would be killed or wounded. The intention was that some would survive long enough to seize a foothold that could be reinforced, or at least that a second wave with better prospects could be sent in while the defenders were reloading or engaged in mopping up the remnants of the first wave.'

Dutch courage indeed.
    we have loads of interesting phrases relating to 'Dutch' e.g 'going Dutch', 'Double Dutch', Dutch Courage...and more...isn't it all about the Dutch navy attacking up the Medway in the 1600's or so, and winning?
  • Options
    I have been to Holland many years ago, and passed through, and I like it...a cool country, cool people...and good for cycling.
  • Options
    The Wallace Collection just off Oxford Street which is surprisingly untouristy and then a nice lunch in St Christopher's Place...Sofra come highly recommended.
  • Options
    The preserved steam pumping station at Chiswick is worth a look and not too far away are Fullers brewery and historic Sion house and yes I know I got into trouble before about trams but the one in the Covent Garden L.T Museum is worth seeing: its got 'via Charlton Athletic Football Ground' written on the side!
  • Options
    went to the clink museum at the weekend, good for kids as you can touch all the torture equipment and can pick up swords from the 1500 amazing how heavy they were, £7.50 for adults.
  • Options
    The Cartoon Museum, especially if they have an exhibition.
  • Options
    This is a really good, self-guided, walk:

http://www.walksoflondon.co.uk/29/london-walks-the-secret-c.shtml

I have done it a few times now and just love it. I simply 'copied and pasted' all pages of the guide onto a word doc and then printed it off to take as my guide. Also had a pocket A-Z as there are a couple of areas where the directions are a little confusing.

The accompanying 'detail' provided with the walk gives a great historical insight into each part of the walk, e.g:

Follow the alley as it bends right and at its end turn left along Cornhill where, in A Christmas Carol, Bob Cratchit ‘went down a slide… twenty times in honour of its being Christmas-eve’. Continue, passing on the left the Church of St Michael, after which take the second left into Ball Court, where the everyday noise of the traffic is reduced to a murmur. Continue, passing the traditional city eatery of Simpson’s, which has been expanding the midriffs of city gentlemen with its mutton chops and roast beef dinners since 1757. Hurry through the gloomy passageway to the left, out of which go left again.

It was within this maze of alleyways that Dickens placed the counting house of A Christmas Carol’s Ebenezer Scrooge. In this quaint, atmospheric backwater of twisting passageways and dark courtyards, time appears to have stood still, and it is not difficult to conjure up images of Scrooge’s neighbours ‘wheezing up and down, beating their hands on their breasts, and stamping their feet upon the pavement stones to warm them’.

Really enjoyable 2 hours or so with plenty of pubs en-route. Point to note, if you do it during the weekend it's really quiet as it's around the 'city'. Only catch is, a lot of said pubs will be closed!!
  • Options
    The Hendon RAF museum is excellent and free. You can see every type of aircraft ever flown from the early bi-planes to the Vulcan and Lancaster bomber and more!
    https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk
    You won't be disappointed
  • Options

I'm in London this Christmas for Charlton v QPR on Boxing Day and Lewes v Kettering Town on Sunday. In between there is enough time to do touristy things.

I know London quite well, so I'm looking for the hidden tourist gems where you won't see the ordinary Italian, Chinese or Japanese tourist. So no Big Ben, no Piccadilly Circus, no Covent Garden and no Millennium Wheel. Any ideas?

Enjoy Lewes...nice town.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A brilliant gem is the Foynes flying boat museum in Ireland.

https://www.flyingboatmuseum.com/

For a very brief golden age in the Thirties the fastest transatlantic travel was by flying boat, until WW2 came along and everything changed.
  • Options
    Get yourself a copy of this and there's 365 suggestions: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Tired-London-Life-One-Thing-Day-Do/0753540320
  • Options
    Plenty of gems in Hatton Garden.
  • Options
    Oakster said:
    Jack The Ripper walk was one of the best things I ever did - especially the booze up in the Ten Bells afterwards

Very familiar with From Hell, as I am most of Alan Moore's comics.  He's one of my favourite comic writers, along with Neil Gaiman, Terry Moore and pre-going-weird Dave Sim.  On top of that, he's a thoroughly nice person and entertaining company.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Very familiar with From Hell, as I am most of Alan Moore's comics.  He's one of my favourite comic writers, along with Neil Gaiman, Terry Moore and pre-going-weird Dave Sim.  On top of that, he's a thoroughly nice person and entertaining company.
    Loved a visit to the Ten Bells during lunch times when I worked in the City.