Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recommend / short review a sports book

Comments

• Options
    Robbo - Bryan Robson

An ok read, much of it more a journal of going through the seasons. Speaks highly of everyone, and doesn't really dish any dirt. Appeared to get on better with Atkinson than Ferguson. Said the first time Ferguson ripped into the players at half-time he had never ever seen anything like it in his life before. Very bitter about all the accusations of being a boozer etc.

There's Plenty of Bubbly in Brazil - Alan Brazil

Having listened to the breakfast show on Talksport for years, i was really looking forward to reading this. Very, very disappointed. Brazil comes across as nothing more than an unmanagable, egotistical drunk. Throwout his playing and broadcasting career, everyone always seemed to be someone elses thought. Gave the impression he lives virtually on champagne alone, and some of the quantities that appeared to get drunk were quite frightening. Belittles Parry throughout. Funny story when at Palace and an autocation with Jordan's brother though.
  • Options
    Funny story when at Palace and an autocation with Jordan's brother though.

Spill the beans...
  • Options
    They were invited to speak at the Palace player of the year do. Brazil got up and spoke about playing against Palace etc. The Parry got up and light-heartedly took the pish a bit, singing songs about Jordan making fun of him. Five mins later, a few heavies in suits and shades tell them they are wanted in the boardroom. THey say they'll go later, but the heavies insist they go there now.

They go up there and sitting in there on his own is Jordans brother. He starts effing and blinding at them and giving it the old 'this is my home', 'i invite you into my home and this is how you repay me'. They laugh and ask for a drink, he says they're aren't any so they get up walk over to the fridge and crack open a couple of beers. Jordan's brother then spends the next ten minutes ranting and threatening them, and acting like he is The Godfather, while they just laugh at him. In the end he demands they are thrown out by the heavies, when they get outside the main heavy apologises, says that Jordan's brother has seen too many gangster films and has ideas above his station. He then offers them a lift back to London.
  • Options
    Just finished Sir Alf by Leo McKinstry, borrowed from a bloke at work.

Real eye-opener about how football used to be, and how badly Alf Ramsey was treated by the establishment. Incredible to think that after winning the world cup he was only on about 7k a year.

Sad tale from 66 onwards, a long slow decline.

Highly recommended
  • Options
    On holiday last week read Ian Holloway's autobiography Ollie - and Adrian Chiles' We Don't Know What We're Doing

Ollie - Jokes on the first page that he couldn't believe anyone would want to read his story as he is hardly Ferguson or Mourinho, and that it will probably end up in the bargain bucket. He'll be pleased to know i picked up a copy in the 99p shop !

Really enjoyable read and come across exactly as i thought he would. A great, honest guy who loves the game, doesn't believe in anything over than the collective team effort and fiercely loyal to his players, but probably lacking in the thinking side of things. Appeared to have been badly bullied as a player at Wimbledon, when his wife had leukemia, people like Wally Downes come across as absolute scum. Has had a hell of an impressive line of 'finds', mostly strikers, but i think a lot of this was due to his right hand man Gary Penrice having an excellent eye for your talent. Finished it feeling sad he is not currently in football, but still not sure he would be the right man to take my club on.

We don't know what we're doing - Adrian Chiles following West Brom through a season, i think it was 05/06. Very enjoyable read, he tries at every game to live it through different eyes and meets all types of different fans (the vicar, someone who has seen 750 consecutive games, the singers, the various supporters groups etc). Lots of tales of characters that you can easily relate to at the Valley, and proving that Charlton fans are not the most negative group in the world. Good read.
  • Options
    Football Babylon has a few laughs. Jan Molby rolling a car, nuns going mental and kicking germans in the head, fans arrested for sticking a hotdog up a police horse's ass. The story about Mick Harford vs 8 builders was one of the funniest/most disturbing football books I've seen.
  • Options
    The Bromley Boys.
  • Options
    Starting "away days" tonight in time for the films release erm - this week.
  • Options
    dont forget taverns in line for the book next. or should we see film first?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yeah, sorry, forgot i promised it him.

book if he can wait (it's only a short read). but film is limited release so probably not on for long.
  • Options
    I was flicking through Matthew Hoggard's autobiography in Waterstone's yesterday. I'd be interested to know if it's any good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Starting "away days" tonight in time for the films release erm - this week.

Excellent book ... as are all Kevin Sampson's books
  • Options
    Is Rock Specticle mentioned in Adrian Chiles book AFKA ?
    ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]dont forget taverns in line for the book next. or should we see film first?

i'll read it and bring it saturday!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]The Bromley Boys.

Read that. Excellent stuff.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]The Bromley Boys.

Read that. Excellent stuff.

Yes, I wasn't convinced before starting it but it is a particularly good book.
  • Options
    about being a fan of a rather poor side so doubt anyone on here would empathise.
  • Options
    No Substitute- Keith Peacock.
  • Options
    The Goalkeepers Revenge.
    Best book at school - FACT !!!
    Had about 10 different short stories in it, from motor racing, to football, to homemade go karts. Might have to go and get it now (if still around)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morbo by Phil Ball is a good read about spanish football and On Penalties by Andrew Anthony
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The two best football books I can think of are both associated with Millwall. Eamon Dunphy's Only a Game was written in 1976 and has been in print ever since, deservedly so. It was supposed to be a diary of a season but stops when he gets transferred to Charlton in November. "It is funny, but I've never liked Charlton. There has never seemed any soul there, no guts, no atmosphere. As a team they always seemed like a nice load of nancy boys". (Younger readers may not know about Garry Nelson's Left Foot Forward, same principle and very good, but the Dunphy is the original and best).

Second football book to read is Cascarino's autobiography.

For boxing, turn to "This bloody mary is the last thing I own" by journalist Jonathan Rendall. Tells a couple of stories about his involvement with Colin McMillan, a former boxer Jack Berg and other stuff. Very well written.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It pains me to say it but the Glory Game by Hunter Thompson about a season at Spurs in the early 70's, well written and examines the club through various peoples eyes, always a fascinating read. One of the few club specific books that are of a quality to be enjoyed by anyone who appreciates decent writing. Read the Dunphy one felt it was ok but must say I enjoyed Garry Nelsons book more.
  • Options
    Er, I think it's Hunter Davies, mate: as it happens I've just re-read The Glory Game and enjoyed it as much as I did 35 years ago. I'm sure many of the things he wrote about still apply, it's the money involved that's the main difference. Interesting that Alan Mullery at the time said he'd have nothing to do with club management! After that the Damned United and the two Nelson books are up there!
  • Options
    Provided You Don't Kiss Me is a really good read, enjoyed that and The Damned United.

Am on The Glory Game at the moment, also very good so far.
  • Options
    Read 'No Substitute' by Keith Peacock whilst in Mexico on holiday a week or so ago. I enjoyed it a lot. Makes you realise what a true Charlton man he is and what a shame it was that he never got to play in Division One (thanks to Palace). If he hadn't been so loyal to us perhaps he may have been able to.

Peculiarly I enjoyed the USA, Gillingham and Maidstone chapters the most.
  • Options
    The Damned United - brilliant book with very clever writing and by far the best sports related book I've read. Roy Keane's book was a good read as well as Gary Nelsons Left Foot Forward.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    England,Their England', no not a book about yobs abroad but a fascinating history of foreign footballers playing in the Football League. From the first (a Canadian) in the late 1800s through to the modern day and the Premiereship. It describes the problems Bert Trautmann and other Germans had after both wars as well as Ardiles and Villa's triumphs and troubles. Charlton's South Africans get a good mention along with Simonsen's all too brief stay. An interesting and educational read.
  • Options
    Ditto to Provided You Don't Kiss Me. An unsensationalised account by the sports reporter who was around Cloughie for 20 years. He draws out the complexity of the Brian Clough character whilst maintaining a quite neutral style.
    Decided to then read Hillsborough - The Truth. I had assumed that, by and large, I knew what had happened and was a bit puzzled as to exactly why the relatives of the dead were still pressing for more inquiries. The book isn't a comfortable read, the relatives own stories are quite harrowing. It exposes the many failures of the various legal processes and the appalling treatment metered out to the victims relatives. Justice is well and truly put under the spotlight and whilst it wasn't my wisest choice of a book as a holiday read, I am pleased that I did read it.
  • Options
    Jeff Stellings new book 'Jellyman's Thrown a Wobbly' is a good read and pretty funny if you watch Soccer Saturday
    Ollie by Ian Holloway is also worth a read
    Finally needless to say Curbs book Valley of Dreams is also quite interesting