Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

State of the world today rant part 542

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]All Celtic fans do as well mate.

I don't but I'm a plastic Bhoy. Didn't even get the title right.

I wonder it that was the song Di Canio was meant to have sung?
  • Options
    Any businessman in town centres will tell you that exorbitant parking charges adversely affect trade. Indeed in an attempt to obviate this some will refund your parking charges if you spend over a certain amount. Deal in Kent is one place which does this.

There is massive anti motorist propaganda in the media so I am not surprised that people disagree with me. However hatred of the motor car should not get in the way of commercial facts.
  • Options
    Clever that AFKA i see what yu did there.
  • Options
    The internet is where it's at kids, and why Tesco are growing like a demented beast, huge online presence.

Of my Christmas shopping, nearly all 95% I would say, has been done on line.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The internet doesn't have a car park

It doesn't need one and many of the working class people Woolworths served are unable to afford internet access. They struggle to afford a rundown car because Public Transport is either too dangerous, too infrequent, too expensive or even unavailable to take them where and when they wish to travel.
  • Options
    at the weekend woolies were still selling dvds and games £10 more than most places on the high street and of course on-line, despite the closing down sale. i wonder what went wrong
  • Options
    If Woolworths were the great bastions of the working class (even though they were part of the multinational Kingfisher group), then they would not have sold goods that were more expensive there than everywhere else.

The working class closed Woolworths, because they are price sensitive.
  • Options
    I'm with Barts here, the stock in woolworths was always odd to say the least, too many stores as well and didn't open late enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]If Woolworths were the great bastions of the working class (even though they were part of the multinational Kingfisher group), then they would not have sold goods that were more expensive there than everywhere else.

The working class closed Woolworths, because they are price sensitive.

I wouldn't disagree with that as part of the explanation.

Pound shops and chains like Wilkinsons and Primark certainly creamed off a lot of Woolworth's core custom through being more competitive pricewise.

However it is also true that people avoid High Streets because of exorbitant Parking charges and that is also part of the explanation and something that local authorities and governments have some control over.

That was my original point.
  • Options
    As someone said on the radio. Woolies is where you went when you couldn't find something anywhere else.

What's a real shame is that some was willing to buy the whole chain for £1 and take on the debt. Would still have meant lots of closures but might have kept some stores and jobs.

A few months before someone offered £50m

Woolies owners turned it down but maybe they personally will do better getting 10p in the £ than just letting it go. That's the free market for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]As someone said on the radio. Woolies is where you went when you couldn't find something anywhere else.

What's a real shame is that some was willing to buy the whole chain for £1 and take on the debt. Would still have meant lots of closures but might have kept some stores and jobs.

A few months before someone offered £50m

Woolies owners turned it down but maybe they personally will do better getting 10p in the £ than just letting it go. That's the free market for you.

Will our directors do the same when we go down? :-)

I shouldn't joke it makes me shiver to even think about it!

Off-topic EDIT: Sorry!!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Last time i went into Woolies was a few months ago. The shop had a few pensioners and a couple of mothers with small kids in tow. To cater to this clientelle the guy who seemed to be in charge thought it would be a good idea to crank out drum at bass at ear bleeding levels. I've never forgotton the pained look on the face of one of those old dears. Companies that badly managed deserve their fate.
  • Options
    Hmm, mis-management, lack of customer satisfaction, little value for money, overpriced and poor products, lack of investment and little chance of being bailed out. Sounds familiar somehow. Should I be on the analogy thread?
  • Options
    Excellent debate, well thought out arguments on both sides and all done with no insults and in a very civilised manner. Well done team!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Any businessman in town centres will tell you that exorbitant parking charges adversely affect trade. Indeed in an attempt to obviate this some will refund your parking charges if you spend over a certain amount. Deal in Kent is one place which does this.

There is massive anti motorist propaganda in the media so I am not surprised that people disagree with me. However hatred of the motor car should not get in the way of commercial facts.[/quote]

What about shops in city/town centres and in shopping malls etc that prosper?

Woolworth's problem has been that traditionally a lot of the stuff they used to sell is now sold by the likes of Tescos, Asda, B&Q etc. Those outfits re-invented themselves for a different market, went out of town or adjusted the products they were selling. Woolwoth's kept to a business model that is no longer relevant to modern society.

Bear in mind that they also failed in America and in mainland Europe.