Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I am Dave, Destroyer of computers

BDLBDL
edited December 2008 in Not Sports Related
Sunday, dropped laptop, now it's kaput! Got to get it repaired.

Tonight, tried to install more memory into old PC to make it run better/faster - Computer won't even boot up, even when I put the old memory back in. Did the crucial memory check, checked Asrock website - bought the recommended module and hey presto it's fecked.

bugger bugger bugger

Comments

• plug in socket? switch on?

just checkin lol
  • What error message do you get - and does the computer POST (i.e. get past the 'BIOS' screen when you first turn it on)?
  • How many times does it beep?
  • BDLBDL
    edited December 2008
    Laptop - One long beep then two short ones. Can hear HDD turning. Doesn't get past BIOS

PC - Nothing at all - just power on, whirrs and bumps from the HDD and nothing. Again doesn't get past BIOS
  • If you have a look in your manuals (if you have them - or google your pc/laptop model) the beeps are actually messages.

One short beep is usually your normal "ok " POST (Power-On Self Test) message.
    4 beeps or 2 long ones can be RAM problems (dependant on machine)
    0 beeps is not good :o(

Sorry it's not more helpful, but it might point you in the right direction...
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Laptop - One long beep then two short ones. Can hear HDD turning. Doesn't get past BIOS

PC - Nothing at all - just power on, whirrs and bumps from the HDD and nothing. Again doesn't get past BIOS
    Dave - sounds stupid, but have you tried booting it with NO ram in there at all? You should at least then get a series of beeps (a POST error) indicating that the system can't find any memory - if you still get nothing then my guess would be that you didn't ground yourself properly when you put the RAM in and have blown something on the motherboard, or your PSU (power supply) is f***ed.
  • sounds very similar to my computer episode a month or so back. Bios problems and all that.

Got mine resolved through a mate who is shite hot with this. Give me shout if you want his details- top bloke, very reasonable- Catford based.

F-ing 'puters eh!
  • Stanmore, even if Dave doesn't want your mates details, I'd appreciate them. Save me having to do tech support for me Dad down the phone.
  • And they let him loose in a radio studio.....jesus wept