Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We're doomed says Charlton legend

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
Killer tells it how it is to kent messenger:

We're doomed says Charlton legend
Derek Hales fears the worst for his former club
by Tony Hudd

Charlton legend Derek Hales has warned that Coca-Cola Championship relegation is a certainty next year – unless players start scrapping for survival.

In an outspoken condemnation of the Addicks’ failure to halt a downward spiral towards League 1 after 14 games without a win, he singled out the decision to sign seven players on loan for criticism.

Hales said: “What on earth are Charlton doing signing so many players on loan? Their loyalties are with their clubs, not Charlton. What do they care about Charlton?

“I would clear out the lot and give Charlton shirts to Charlton players. Right now, the club need a passionate response to their unacceptable position and you won’t get that from loan players.”

He admitted that Charlton’s present side are “ordinary”.

He added: “I go to games looking for players to roll up their sleeves ready to battle and scrap and I don’t see it. At the Burnley home game, it was 20 to 25 minutes before a player put in a tackle.

“We look a side that has already accepted their fate of League 1 football next season. That’s unacceptable to the club’s wonderful supporters and it’s unacceptable to me.”

Comments

• Options
    easy to say what fans want to hear - Hales is good at that
  • Options
    Bit harsh Ledge, maybe he is a fan, and is talking from the heart, better than being a club and giving it a load of old spin,
  • Options
    he isn't a fan though is he.
  • Options
    don't care if he is a fan or not, he's our record goalscorer, likely to never be beaten, and tells it how he sees it.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2008
    Devil's Advocate:

Other than the first quote about loan players if Parky/Pardew/Waggott etc said anything along those lines it would be seen as spin - not sure why Hales' quotes should be looked at anything else....
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]he isn't a fan though is he.
    Probably more of a fan than some of the johnny and jane come latelys who used to or still do go down there , atleast the guy cares, we are crying out for a modern killer, he wouldnt give up
  • Options
    It's a condemnation of the players and management... You can hardly call that spin.
  • Options
    Chunes as i said he is not giving it spin, we have been used to a load of crap from people within the club for a long time, when we can clearly see the club is in big trouble, a legend of a player is voicing his opinion and maybe with this in mind the board may take notice although i wouldnt hold your breath.
  • Options
    I'm not having a go at Hales just saying it's easy to say what he said - he knows how to get the fans on his side that's all - calm down -
  • Options
    I agree with what he says.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never mind that Derek - what bet are you doing in association with Paddy Power on Boxing Day?
  • Options
    Bet he still has us down for a win this week on the OS. ;-)
  • Options
    if he took notice of how he sees it when putting his charity bet on, then the charity may actually benefit.
    i don't think he has predicted us to lose in the last 5-6 games.
  • Options
    lol @ carly and pbs
  • Options
    Jeez ........ don't knock him. Make him manager!

At least he seems to have more idea of what's required to escape relegation.
  • Options
    He aint a fan. But cant see anything he says is not correct.
  • Options
    I'll believe him when he goes for Charlton to get beaten 3-0 at home one week!