Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky on Sam

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
The winger has suffered with inconsistency at times during his career and Parkinson said: "Lloyd was excellent against Derby County and he put in a terrific performance today. He's an exciting player, he can pick a pass in the final third and if you're a full-back you wouldn't want him running at you and twisting and turning and he's made three out of our last four goals.

"Lloyd isn't a young man anymore. He's got a responsibility and he has to turn in these performances week in, week out and there's no reason why he shouldn't. He has to decide where he wants to go in the game; does he want to play at the highest level or drift around and end up in the lower leagues? It could go either way but he's got the ability to play at the highest level, I have absolutely no doubt about it.”

Is this why Parky wants Dicko out, too much clowning around and distracting Sam?

Comments

• Options
    on he whole Sam is an awful player and how he is in the side week in week out amazes me.

I admit he is tricky on the ball but most of what he does is outside the box - if he got into the box on occaisons he may find he would draw a foul from a defender.

worse of all is his crossing - woeful being the word. Now know I wasn't there yesterrday , but generally his crosses hit the first defender or dont get off the ground and one of the main reasons Gray hasn't scored with his head from a Sam cross all season

also - why does he stand on the half way line when we start to attack instead of moving down the wing ?
  • Options
    He's all show and no substance, all very fine to get yoursefl on Soccer Am's showboat, but he cant deliver a sodding ball, very frustrated with him yesterday.
  • Options
    Big critic of Sam but be fair, yesterday he was excellent
  • Options
    I thought he played well yesterday, well any time he decided to get to the by-line and put it across. Why does he always seem to stop as he gets in line with the box? He can probably out pace any full back in this league so why not run at them all the time?
  • Options
    Maybe he is coming of age his last two home performances have been much improved. Lets hope it is not a false dawn.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Are there any other Lloyd Sam fans out there?

I think he is an excellent player, very skilful and can be very direct. IMO he has the ability to score at least 10-12 goals a season at this level. But what he really needs is a manager who beleives in him and tells him to stop checking back and just run at players. He has 100 times more skil than McLeod so should be winning plenty of pens / freekicks against the donkey defenders in this league. I just don't understand why everyone has this big downer on him. As well as wanting to see Charlton win (which is obviously No.1 priority-especially now) i want to be entertained and he is one of the few players in our squad capable of doing that. His first touch and control is the best in the squad. Give the boy some confidence, get a decent manager and and give him an appreciative crowd and he would be as good as anyone in this division.
  • Options
    I am not a fan but have def seen an improvement in recent games and he compares favourably with most of the wide men we have had in recent years, buit then thats not saying much
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Are there any other Lloyd Sam fans out there?

I think he is an excellent player, very skilful and can be very direct. IMO he has the ability to score at least 10-12 goals a season at this level. But what he really needs is a manager who beleives in him and tells him to stop checking back and just run at players. He has 100 times more skil than McLeod so should be winning plenty of pens / freekicks against the donkey defenders in this league. I just don't understand why everyone has this big downer on him. As well as wanting to see Charlton win (which is obviously No.1 priority-especially now) i want to be entertained and he is one of the few players in our squad capable of doing that. His first touch and control is the best in the squad. Give the boy some confidence, get a decent manager and and give him an appreciative crowd and he would be as good as anyone in this division.

Mmmm....I think you're over egging here a bit valleyman.
  • Options
    Reminds me of something similar Lennie Lawrence said about Mark Stuart years back, "It's Barcelona or Bromley for him".

I see our Lloyd as a Bromley man myself, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Said it on here before and I'll say it again.....if Sam was a racehorse he'd have been shot by now.

Hopeless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Said it on here before and I'll say it again.....if Sam was a racehorse he'd have been shot by now.

Hopeless.

But compared to recent wide men, can we honestly say he has delivered less than them and lived up to expectations less than them - Romm comes tomind
  • Options
    Whoever said he was hopeless is clueless , the last 2 home games he's been our only creative player he can be extremely frustrating at times but he's definately improved under Parky and hopefully it'll continue
  • Options
    Lloyd Sam has fantastic ability on the ball - and every so often we get a glimpse of it.

His biggest problem is hesitancy and indecision, if only he'd grab his game by the scruff of the neck.

Parky and Valleyman are not doubting his ability, just his consistancy.
    And that's what's meant by 'does he want to be playing at the highest level' - if he gets the mentality part of his game right. It's his choice.

I bet Sam is a worldbeater in training.
  • Options
    Spot on Oggy, it is all down to consistency. I honestly beleive he has the ability to be a very good player for us at this level & you have to remember that whilst he is not a teenager anymore he is still relatively inexperienced at first team football so he will get better and more consistent.

Remember when Ronaldo first got into the Man Utd side, he spent a year doing very tricky stuff but never getting anywhere then I guess Fergy & his backroom staff taught him how to be more effective and direct and look at the improvement now. Before anyone jumps on the comparison, Sam is clearly not in the same league as a player but could be a strong player at this level if the manager & coaching staff can coach him to become more direct as a player & take a game by the scruff of the neck.
  • Options
    Lloyd Sam.
    A winger who can't cross the ball.
  • Options
    He hasn't done so badly lately.

Created most of our chances in recent games, including 3 out of our last 4 goals scored.

Credit where it's due.
  • Options
    I get the feeling that Sam has been held back as Pards didn't employ him as a natural wideman and gave him too many defensive chores. I noticed on one occasion on Boxing day when we had a corner he was back on the halfway doing exactly that. Parky noticed this and called one of the other players back and sent Sam up, I think it is something the ultra defensive Pards has drilled into the team and now they forget to attack corners- who can forget when we were losing heavily to Sheff Utd in Pards last game and he made several players stay back at one corner instead of going for it. Sam seems to be growing in confidence again but needs a solid right back behind him to back him up- He always seems to link well with MOO2. Yes his crossing could be better but I think he has learned alot from Gillespies short time with us (Prehaps thats why Parky brought him in!)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    Gray hasn't scored with his head from a Sam cross all season

That's cause Gray don't bloody jump! and also dind't Bailey score a header from a sam cross on boxing day?? :)
  • Options
    Who else have we who can go past defenders or worry the opposition with the ball at his feet?
  • Options
    Some of the posts in this thread are just plain stupid. It's obvious Sam has bags of talent. And although he's not a youngster he's still prett inexperienced and is only going to get better. An improvement which we have seen over the past 3 games.

"awful player" - clueless.