Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil Brown and Hull City yesterday.

Im sure most of you saw what Phil Brown and Hull City did at half time away at Man City yesterday. Anyone else think it was a bit of a cheek and could backfire?

That team has played out of its skin all season and consistently over performed and even after yesterday remained 7th in the Premiership table. Ok they were terrible yesterday to be 4-0 down at half time but Man City are a good side with some exceptional players, the richest club in the world and were due a result like that. I just felt it was a bit harsh to humiliate the players so publicly like that and I think it could backfire on him. I have seen his ego grow since last season and I felt like it was a bit of a publicity stunt for himself.

I still think Hull City have the 'new teams first season in Premiership syndrome' and will probably get relegated next season anyway ala Reading. Don't hear much about much about Steve Coppell anymore. He was on for the England job and manager of the year not so long ago and really reminds me of Hulls situation this season.

Comments

• what did they do at half time, didnt see it???
  • Sat them all down in front of their supporters and gave their half time rollicking on the pitch.
  • Agree with Frank. Seems that Brown is starting to believe the hype. Disrespectful to his players who have been brilliant. What a twat.
  • The players were all sat down in a circle on the pitch, staring at their feet.

Brown was prancing around gesturing and bollocking them.

None of the players appeared to be even listening.
  • Didn't Curbs do something similar AFTER a match once?

Was it Fulham away?
  • Off thread I know but has anyone heard how Henrys litt lun is. Sorry if I missed the info somewhere ?
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Off thread I know but has anyone heard how Henrys litt lun is. Sorry if I missed the info somewhere ?

Still in hospital....improving steadily...should be home soon I guess?
    He and Ben listened to the game yesterday on the radio.....pulse rate shot up dramaticly when QPR's 'winner' flew in.
  • Thanks SoundAs. Glad things are getting better.
  • i wonder what brown would do if one of the hull players goes public on how they think he (phil brown) got it tactically wrong for a match.
    imo, b*##ockings should take place and remain in the dressing room/training ground.
  • Wasn't Phil Brown the guy Andy Todd thumped shortly after throttling Graham Stuart and beforesmacking Deano or have I got the wrong bloke?
  • Sponsored links:

• Agreed. Totally disrespectful to those players. 7th in the prem should be beyond his wildest dreams.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i wonder what brown would do if one of the hull players goes public on how they think he (phil brown) got it tactically wrong for a match.
    imo, b*##ockings should take place and remain in the dressing room/training ground.

Totally agree.

These things should be done behind closed doors.

Damning for team spirit. It wouldn't motivate me if I was a player.
  • If my boss took it upon himself to bollock me in public when I had been performing well above my supposed capabilities for months then he would be extracting my resignation from a place where the sun don`t shine.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]7th in the prem should be beyond his wildest dreams.

you would certainly think that but it wasn't good/exciting enough for some of our grand delusional fans
  • lol .....splendid
  • i thought you'd like that SHG ;-)
  • I think most players would have got the arse with him over that and if results continue to be bad they will turn on him. I honestly think it was a cheap trick to boost his popularity with the fans and may backfire
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Didn't Curbs do something similar AFTER a match once?

Was it Fulham away?

Fulham away at the start of the championship season - we played like we were too good to be there and lost 2-1. It was more of a team meeting and a frank exchange of views than Browns theatrics yesterday - that looked like a bloke playing up to the fans for dramatic effect and probably earning nothing but contempt from the players. Brown was indeed the one who Andy Todd bashed up, which precipitated Todd's exit from Bolton. I heard various acconts of it from Bolton fans, think it happened at the end of a team building(!) day out.
  • edited December 2008
    They're grown men FFS not school kids. He made himself look a twat if you ask me.
  • If Hull go on a major loosing streak now, everyone will look back at that moment and say that's when the rot set in. Bit like Gallas at Birmingham last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• After the 'talking to' at Fulham, Curbs said he did it because he was so disappointed at losing a game that was there for the taking and that a display like that was not acceptable to him or the supporters. If I remember aright we then won 5 out of the next 6 and drew the other one. It'll be interesting to see if Brown's actions have the same effect.
  • sorry to disagree but i thought it was good man manegement skills and should the fans that at least HE cared what was happening during that 1st half.

would have loved to see the same kind of passion from Pardew or now from Parky - both have shown that they have no bottle, no guts and no passion for our club !!!!!
  • Sorry golfie but it looks like an ego trip to me.
  • rather that than the lifeless lot we've had recently..........pardew used to spend 90 mins with his arms folded all game and Parky i've not noticed he is so inaminate.
  • I thought that it was a matter of his judgment, and knowing his own team, and could very well have been entirely appropriate. It goes without saying that that lot has been playing far above their station, and I expect that he was reminding them that it has been little more than hard work that has gotten them to their position so far. Without that effort, they could easily find themselves drawn back into a remarkably tight bottom ten, and I imagine that he was impressing the importance of not mailing in any performances upon them. I have no doubt that his ego is growing, and that was probably a factor, but I think that he can completely justify what he did.

That said, a dangerous thing to do for all of the reasons said above...
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Parky i've not noticed he is so inaminate.

Explains why he got sent off yesterday....
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Sorry golfie but it looks like an ego trip to me.

Without knowing the man I don't think any of us can really know....as such I feel I can't comment on his actions or make a judgement on his character.
  • Well it was 1-1 in the second half so it sort of worked and the players would have surely gone on strike then and not for the rest of the season.
  • From the Independant:

Phil Brown lecturing his Hull players on the pitch at half-time of their defeat to Manchester City was not for his team's benefit, or the supporters they were told to applaud. It was for Phil Brown's benefit. It was designed to demonstrate what a maverick, off-the-wall manager he is – a little bit crazy, a little bit different, but, hey, what a guy.

You could see straight through it. So could Brown's players, no doubt. The artifice was embarrassing and to make matters worse Brown has started to talk about himself in the third person in post-match interviews. The Hull manager and his team have been an exciting, likeable addition to the Premier League. What a pity if Brown was to spoil it by trying too hard to demonstrate to us how clever he thinks he is.
  • I thought Brown had every right to do what he did, those players r gettin paid obscene amounts to do wat they love doing whilst the people who travel to away days lets face it will not be on a hundred times less than their salary and are probably in an dead end job which they hate but spend alot of money purchasing tickets to see a team that they love and expect to put in a performance in return for their loyalty, and following Hull's first half I think Brown had every right to sit them down in front of their fans and give em a right bollockin, yes it may hav been embarrising for the players, for wat they get paid I would do alot worse, fair play Phil Brown if only we had picked him up, but hey could be worse.......................................or could it?

Yes it may hav been for his benefit, a little bit crazy, it worked, as pickwick said it was 1-1 second half, so however much Brown did it for self benefit I think he had every right to do wat he did and however bizarre it was, it did seem to work!