Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World War One - Storm of Steel

For the few on here that mentioned an interest in WWI I'm currently reading Storm of Steel by Earnst Junger. Very straight, unromantic account of the life of a German officer on the Western front. There's a new translation out in paperback now.

Comments

• Options
    I will give that a go Henry. Read a bit about WW1 and still can't get my head around the pointless slaughter................
  • Options
    There's one story about WW1 that really gets to me, and that's the one about soldiers in the trenches stopping war for one Christmas day, both sides came together, wished each other merry christmas, and then restarted fighting the following day. An amazing story but just can't picture it!
  • Options
    The one which gets me is where the generals, fully aware that the armitice had been signed, were still ordering attacks right up to 11.00. The German's couldnt understand why men were still going over the top and running at machine gun fire when to all intents and purposes the war was over.

They were desperate to finish the war with more land gained than lost and didn't care about the men they were using to bolster their egos.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sounds just like everyday for the previous 4 years.

Watched documentary recently on Gallipoli and the errors made.

Basically the 2nd landing was supposed to surround the Turks, giving the boys at the first landings and opportunity to push out, but despite landing in the middle of the night with total surprise the Generals just let the troops splash around on the beach whilst supplies were landed, instead of pushing on and taking the high ground, which meant the Turks could and then we couldnt get off the beach.... Exactly what had happened previously!

idiots!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]There's one story about WW1 that really gets to me, and that's the one about soldiers in the trenches stopping war for one Christmas day, both sides came together, wished each other merry christmas, and then restarted fighting the following day. An amazing story but just can't picture it!

Amazing demonstration of the futility of it all. They actually stopped and had a kickabout in no-mans land didn't they?

Have a listen to the words to Altogether Now by The Farm next time you hear it - written about just that.
  • Options
    It was the kick about that was the problem. The 2nd German goal was offside and the third was a blatant hand ball.

Actually in a a lot of sectors there was no fraternization.
  • Options
    War. What is it good for?
  • Options
    Absolutely nothing. Say it again.

Having said that went to see a new client today who produce intelligence and insight on weapons and warfare so some one makes a living out of it.
  • Options
    Jane's?
  • Options
    who else!