Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our Next Manager must be Scottish

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
This list of Scottish Managers doesn't lie:

Bill Shankly
Dave Mackay
George Burley
Gordon Strachan
David Moyes
Billy McNeill
Jock Wallace
Alex McLeish
Tommy Docherty
Kenny Dalglish
Graeme Souness
Matt Busby
Jock Stein
Alex Ferguson
George Graham
Craig Brown
Walter Smith

Comments

• Options
    Or Italian ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Apart from Simon Jordan or Jamie Oliver I'd take anyone who could dig us out of this hole. Talking of Scots, what about the bloke who plays Burke on Taggart? He'd frighten a few of them into action.

Funny enough, the word was that Gordon Strachan was lined up when Curbs was being touted for the Spurs job a few years back. Somehow doubt we'd prise him away from Celtic now.
  • Options
    Not sure we could prise a muscle off a rock to be honest.
  • Options
    Don't give a fcuk if he is Martian if he sorts this lot out.

Still our Championship place to play for despite what some say....
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    "Don't give a fcuk if he is Martian ..."

We tried that Stanmore and we had to sack him after 15 games and give Uncle Les the job...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Stanmore wrote:

"Don't give a fcuk if he is Martian ..."

We tried that Stanmore and we had to sack him after 15 games and give Uncle Les the job...

pmsl
  • Options
    he wernt a martian

he was Mr Iiancredible
  • Options
    John Hughes is Scottish. Not that it should matter.
  • Options
    So is Rab Nesbitt.
  • Options
    What about that Jim jeffries guy from Kilmarnock he supposed to be good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paulo Mc Di Canio
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well Phil McParkinson still talking about buying new players in January and certainly not conceding that he's going to be moving on. Words from his post-match interview, which - perhaps significantly - were not included in the unusually short O/S report of his comments :

"I was given until January but it's a very difficult job to sort out in a few games and it's obvious we need to buy in reinforcements and some stronger characters during the transfer window. The board know I've had a difficult job. Nothing lifts the club like two, three or four new faces and I don't know what's available, but we need to do something rather than nothing."'
  • Options
    What about the Krankies?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Well Phil McParkinson still talking about buying new players in January and certainly not conceding that he's going to be moving on. Comments from his post-match interview, which - perhaps significantly - were not included in the unusually short O/S report of his comments :

"I was given until January but it's a very difficult job to sort out in a few games and it's obvious we need to buy in reinforcements and some stronger characters during the transfer window. The board know I've had a difficult job. Nothing lifts the club like two, three or four new faces and I don't know what's available, but we need to do something rather than nothing."'

If he is in charge by the Forest game I'll be seriously pissed off. He has done NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant getting the job. And a few games ? EIGHT you mug. I really am beginning to despair of those at the helm of the great club. Please prove me wrong this week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Well Phil McParkinson still talking about buying new players in January and certainly not conceding that he's going to be moving on. Comments from his post-match interview, which - perhaps significantly - were not included in the unusually short O/S report of his comments :

If he is in charge by the Forest game I'll be seriously pissed off. He has done NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant getting the job. And a few games ? EIGHT you mug. I really am beginning to despair of those at the helm of the great club. Please prove me wrong this week.

Who can we get in though at a price we can afford?
  • Options
    Len, going down is a price we cannot afford to pay.
  • Options
    the board were agonised to give parky the job 10 weeks ago so gave him an extension to formalise it,but all he needed to do was get a win.still,hey ho
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]the board were agonised to give parky the job 10 weeks ago so gave him an extension to formalise it,but all he needed to do was get a win.still,hey ho

let's extend his reign till the end of the season and he might get one, but I wouldn't bank on it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Len, going down is a price we cannot afford to pay.

Agreed but give me some affordable names who are better managers than Parky.

I don't think he is ideal by any means as the results tell their own story but I cannot come up with a realistic (in terms of finance and availability) name who would necessarily be any better...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Len, going down is a price we cannot afford to pay.

I don't think he is ideal by any means as the results tell their own story but I cannot come up with a realistic (in terms of finance and availability) name who would necessarily be any better...

Len, how much are we offering ? How much is Parky on ? Unless you know these answers the questions are hypothetical. Either way the answer is less than relegation would cost in lost season ticket sales, lost sponsorship, lost 5m from being in the Championship, lost burger sales etc etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a manager who could keep us up would be priceless really.so break the bank and get someone serious. now can you think of someone?
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Len wrote: "I cannot come up with a realistic (in terms of finance and availability) name who would necessarily be any better..."

Len, it is quite possble that we are now so beyond redemption that nobody could do any better. At 5 o'clock this afternoon I was so depressed that I was thinking Parky might as well stay as we're already down. That dark mood soon passed and I now think we have to give it one last throw of the dice with whomever we can get - even if it's mad, bad Paulo.

With Parky we are definitely going down (how many Championship games has he now gone without a win if you put his Hull fiasco and these last eight games for us together?) With someone else, we will probably still go down. But we might just have a chance if we find someone with some self-belief who can then transfer that belief to the players.
  • Options

Len, how much are we offering ? How much is Parky on ? Unless you know these answers the questions are hypothetical. Either way the answer is less than relegation would cost in lost season ticket sales, lost sponsorship, lost 5m from being in the Championship, lost burger sales etc etc

Yes the questions are hypothetical but we do know that we had to fork out £1.5 million to get rid of Pardew recently which equated to two years on his contract.

In our severely reduced circumstances we won't be able to afford anywhere near those kind of wages for a new manager and to get the supposed best which Pardew was that is what has to be paid. OK there is a credit crunch but even so the top guys are still way beyond us so we are down to the next level ie Parky and his ilk.
  • Options

Yes the questions are hypothetical but we do know that we had to fork out £1.5 million to get rid of Pardew recently which equated to two years on his contract.

In our severely reduced circumstances we won't be able to afford anywhere near those kind of wages for a new manager and to get the supposed best which Pardew was that is what has to be paid. OK there is a credit crunch but even so the top guys are still way beyond us so we are down to the next level ie Parky and his ilk.

well, I'd rather it was one of his ilk and not actually him.