Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just back from Bramall Lane

Great performance first half. Best I've seen of the season, but we lost all spirit after the second goal. Most disappointing thing for me was the management team waiting for them to take the lead before making any changes. They came out all over us after the break, equalised, and then we waited for them to get another one before bringing off Sam for Gray.

Parky was in the stands, and Kins seemed to be calling the shots. We've given them enough time, performances have improved, but unfortunately they've had no luck, and, for me, have been tactically naive (should have made changes in QPR games and Sheff Utd long before they did).

24000 turned up, around 250/300 of us. Decent ground, but not much atmosphere.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2008
    The atmosphere was shite by both sets of fans, I tried starting songs, just got people turning around giving me odd looks.

A steward also tried to have my flag away, the fugger.

I promised myself after Man City I'd never get a Charlton coach to an away day again, after today I'm sticking to it, the extra money on the train is well worth it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]The atmosphere was shite by both sets of fans, I tried starting songs, just got people turning around giving me odd looks.

A steward also tried to have my flag away, the fugger.

I promised myself after Man City I'd never get a Charlton coach to an away day again, after today I'm sticking to it, the extra money on the train is well worth it.

were you second to back row? was sitting behind some people trying to get the chants going, but no-one was that interested.

Ratings done on the way back with my bro:

Elliot 5: Doesn't give me any confidence. Can't kick, doesn't command area, and should have done better for first goal. Good to be seen him given a chance, but I think we need Weaver back.
    Cranie 6: Sound performance. Most of their danger was on the right, so not that involved.
    Hudson 5: Him and Forts great in first half. Fell asleep for goals though
    Fortune 6: Some good clearences.
    McEverly 6: Looks like a good player. One of the loanies we should keep hold of. Useful going forward, although Dyer did give him the run around in Second half.
    Sam 6: Got more confident in recent games. Looks dangerous at times. Unlucky to be subsituted.
    Holland 7: Good comeback. Commanded midfield in first half. Faded in second.
    Bailey 7: Got stuck in. Almost scored a wonder volley in first half.
    Basey 5: Hasn't got enough pace to be LM. OK set plays, but caught in possesion too much.
    Bouazza 8: Well taken goal. Dangerous throughout. Looked interested. Different player to that against QPR. Playing off the striker seems to suit him.
    Burton 4: Please send him back! Don't see what he offers. Got booked, and then final warning whilst we were 1-0 up. Meant that he couldn't challange for any ball after (not that he was doing in often before). Could not believe they waited an extra 20 mins to take him off.

Waggy, Gray: Not given enough time to make impressions
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: rufusisadogsname[/cite]were you second to back row? was sitting behind some people trying to get the chants going, but no-one was that interested.

Was very back row, to the very right hand side.

I put all my effort into an 'Oh south london' and was told there was no need to shout so loud.... some people.....
  • Options
    Burton 4: Please send him back! Don't see what he offers. Got booked, and then final warning whilst we were 1-0 up. Meant that he couldn't challange for any ball after (not that he was doing in often before). Could not believe they waited an extra 20 mins to take him off.

sounds like pardew was in charge again
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: rufusisadogsname[/cite]were you second to back row? was sitting behind some people trying to get the chants going, but no-one was that interested.

I put all my effort into an 'Oh south london' and was told there was no need to shout so loud.... some people.....

Rite. I think my brother was sitting next to you! We were back row, with our old man in the middle.
  • Options
    I had an older guy next to me, with a guy who was on the coach who didnt sit down all game next to him.

That was the ONLY saving grace from today, not being told to sit down every 5mins.
  • Options
    rite wasn't me no. ONLY saving grace bit harsh no?

I thought we played great. only wish i left at half time!
  • Options
    We are officially now a music hall joke. No, I really mean it, we really are. Took my boy to Catford theatre to see the panto today, and one scene went like this- I can't stay with my Mum.
    Why?
    she beats me.
    So live with your Dad.
    He beats me too.
    So who will you live with?
    Charlton Athletic, they never beat anyone!
    I was not amused to be reminded by a prick dressed in multicoloured dungarees on a stage how low my team has sunk.
  • Options
    We get stupid jokes like that even when we're winning. And in bloody Catford - full of Millwall scum.
  • Options
    Elliot was poor today, should have done better for the first goal and come out for some of their corners - he was lucky none of them went in. Can't blame him (this time) for the free kick. Can't understand why we don't put someone on the post.

Problem is I don't like weaver either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite][quote aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: rufusisadogsname[/cite]were you second to back row? was sitting behind some people trying to get the chants going, but no-one was that interested.[/quote]

I put all my effort into an 'Oh south london' and was told there was no need to shout so loud.... some people.....[/quote]

Oh Dear

what can you say

It amazes me
  • Options
    what was burton like ...will he ever score a goal from open play??
  • Options
    Maybe in January, Parky will be gone for a Burton.

Poor old Parky. If he was to be manager, he needed a close season to get things sorted his way behind the scenes.
    And he hasn't had much luck.

But 3 points out of 24 isn't typically a sequence to win a permanant appointment.

So thanks, mate ..... and good luck in your new job at your new club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]what was burton like ...will he ever score a goal from open play??

no, send him back, he's cack. I'd rather see our own cack (Dickson, Izzy, Fleetwood) if that is what they are. Who knows ?
  • Options
    Agreed again, Large.

Dickson, Izzy, Fleetwood ....who knows?
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]

Tell them if they want to ponder in silence maybe an art gallery would be more to their taste. I sit in the NW quad at the Valley, and often get looks like murder when I shout, I don't care, just carry on, it's football ffs, not a church or library!
  • Options
    Burton is going no-where, it's a done deal, always was.
  • Options
    I felt that Elliot did ok, gathering the high balls and coming out of the box to collect, yes his kicking was woeful. The whole defence was very jittery. A few challenges that the forwards and midfielders bottled out of had big repurcussions, Sam (who generally had a good game and was looking sharp) bottled out of a challenge outside the Sheffield box which then led to their second goal. Their forwards really hassled our defence in the second half causing inept back passes from us. We miss a Varney or a Euell continually putting defences with posession under pressure. Boazza put in a good shift and looked dangerous.The communication and passing from defence to midfield was sadly lacking, Hudson though a big presence gave the ball away far to easily the same, could be said for Bailey. Basey looked ponderous.However, I do feel this team with a few changes and a dose of confidence could do enough to stay up.
    Cheers to Maglor and isawlearburnscore for drinks and putting up with my woeful singing !
    Sheffied Wednesday are also on a big low, with another deranged handful of us cheering the addicks on ,three points is just around the corner !
  • Options
    Agree that in the first half the team churned out a performance of a standard I have not seen for a long time.
    We had lots of chances to make it at least 2-0 at half time. Knew it would not last as we fell apart as soon as we let in their equaliser.

To be honest I was not that livid after the final whistle - it just confirms that we are not good enough for the league.

There is plenty to play for between now and May though.
  • Options
    The best thing about the game for me was the Balti pie...still, I was back in Greenwich by 9pm and had forgotten about it by the time I woke up this morning...

I don't think we were that great in the first half, we did 'ok' and did looked fairly threatening when we broke, mainly through Bouazza...but still looked very very jittery when they attacked down their right...Basey and McEverly had to double up and still he got away from them more often then not...

Still don't know what happened in the second half, we could not cope with a team who wanted it more and we ended up panicking and giving the ball away very, very cheaply. You could see it coming a mile off - our players visibly shrank...

Re: our crowd, I was halfway down on the aisle on our left and thought that the lads at the back (Stu?) gave it a good go...a few choruses of VFR etc, but on the whole not a lot to sing about. Lots of 'families' there breaking out the Thermos' - altho to be fair it was chuffing cold...

League 1 here we come - I simply don't see a way to escape it with the (forward) players and management that we have at the moment...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesnt sound pretty.....gawd help us if the management/coaching staff isnt cleared out soon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: rufusisadogsname[/cite]Parky was in the stands, and Kins seemed to be calling the shots.

To be fair to parkinson the reason he was in the stands was because he got sent off against qpr. Everything else we can blame him for except that.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    he was on the touchline.