Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Jewell quits Derby - what now for Varney?

Given that Jewell has now left Derby does that mean that Varney's move is in jeopardy? Varney has hardly been great for them and their new boss, whoever that might be, may not fancy paying out 1 million quid on such a mediocre player.

Oh dear, looks like our January rescue funds might be less than we hoped.

I also see Ambrose has now been demoted to being an unused sub for Ipswich.

If you did not laugh you would cry....

Comments

• Options
    Ormy i was not Varneys biggest fan, nor Ambrose but i would bring all loanees back and send all Loanees away, the only deal i would try to do is Mcevelvy for Varney in some way shape or form.

i think the issue could be that we are stuck with Burton.

I think a new boss should be given a full squad of our own players to do what the feck he wants with, who knows what we have may be good enough it just hasnt had the right leader
  • Options
    We're sold him for £850K rising to £1.5M, he won't be coming back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]We're sold him for £850K rising to £1.5M, he won't be coming back.

Yes, but I am not sure that deal can be "officially" confirmed or signed until January 1st.

Derby are not exactly flush with cash so I can't see why they would pursue a deal for a bloke who they have already dropped to the subs bench - especially if the new boss does not rate him.

Its a bizarre situation, but what if Pearson (the Derby chairman) says to the new boss "Right, you've only got 3 million to spend in the window."

The new guy is quite likely to want to generate more money and might try and junk the Varney deal in order to spend that 850,000 on a player HE wants.

Same goes for Ambrose, Magilton has already made it clear that Sharon has been well below his expectations and now that he can't even get off the bench for them you have to ask why they would want him permanently, and even if they did it would probably be a short-term deal until the end of the season so he can prove himself to them.

I think we are going to see some crazy comings and goings in the window and I think there are no players that you can be CERTAIN to be at Charlton in February.

Even Hudson could go if they can find someone to pay his hefty wages.
  • Options
    Perhaps there'll be a silver lining. We get them both back; they both realise what side their bread is buttered on and double their efforts (easy for Ambrose, but quite a challenge for Varney, I think). Both show the sort of form that we've previously had promised but very rarely seen and suddenly we've a big improvement in the team. Well, I can dream can't I.
  • Options
    For all the other failings in the transfer market, getting up to £1.5m for Varney will be a good bit of business if/when it is signed and sealed.

As for Ambrose, he's out of contract in the summer, so it's probably a case of getting what we can for him now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]For all the other failings in the transfer market, getting up to £1.5m for Varney will be a good bit of business if/when it is signed and sealed.

As for Ambrose, he's out of contract in the summer, so it's probably a case of getting what we can for him now.

I agree about getting the dough for Varney, that's why I'll be gutted if that deal collapses because I can't see anyone else paying that sort of money for him.

As for Sharon, the fact that he's already been benched by Ipswich suggests that they are unlikely to offer him a permanent deal on anything like the money he is on with us so my bet is he'll come back and pick up his Premiership size wages until June 30th and then move on an FT to another CCC or maybe Premiership newcomer.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sounds like an honourable man, Mr Jewell. This is what his chairman said about hm : "It was probably one result too far for Paul. He came to see me after the game and said that he felt it just wasn't working out and didn't want the club to suffer as a result. He feels that the club needs a fresh impetus and a new direction. So we agreed a deal to go our separate ways."

Contrast with the behaviour of our recently departed one.

Possible scenario: Jewell applies for the Charlton job and wants to bring Varney back with him? In which case, should the board tell him 'no thanks, anyone who thinks Varney is worth £1.5 m should not be running our club' ?
  • Options
    We should get Jewell in. He saw the worst team in Premeir League history to get relegated, he should come and get the worst team in Championship history get relegated.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Possible scenario: Jewell applies for the Charlton job and wants to bring Varney back with him? In which case, should the board tell him 'no thanks, anyone who thinks Varney is worth £1.5 m should not be running our club' ?
    Once the Board start getting involved in telling the manager who or who should not be in the squad or team is when I start to question them. And they wouldnt do it.
  • Options
    The deal was signed when the loan was done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After his less than charming comments post match against Derby and his general lack of things you associate with strikers (not that we have a lot now tbh)wouldn't want him (or Sharon) back.
  • Options
    Varney is a permanent signing and he won't be coming back. The emergency loan thing was done only because Derby wanted to play Varney immediately rather than having him kick his heels unto January.

Maybe our Burton thing is exactly the same type of deal .... ?
  • Options
    Burton it just said it's with a view to a free transfer. So I guess it depends if Parkinson is still here and he thinks Burton has done enough.