Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just been hit by the credit crunch

DA9DA9
edited December 2008 in Not Sports Related
Had our overtime cut, lose about £140 a month, still, at least I still have a job.

Pint half full, and hopefully its only temporary

Comments

• Ditto mate - got used to getting a more or less guaranteed bonus of around 25% of my salary split over quarterly payments for the past 5 years.

All but gone now to around 0%-5% max. Still, as you say - got a job and i'm thankful for that in these times.
  • edited December 2008
    I get our Institute mag sent twice a month. The last 8 pages are full off jobs, now alot of those may be 1/4 page job profiles. It helps me see whats happening and what rates are out and about. The last one had 1/2 page just two jobs. OK its Crimbo but i cant remember seeing it that bad.

time to sit tight DA9 fella chin up etc.

me looks like im lucky that im at least ok for first 1/4 2009
  • Hanging in there mate, its not desperate, but not good what with the big day in 2010 to save for, but hey ho, still employed, which is more than can be said for a lot of people at the moment, and the guvnor did say if things pick up etc, (I'm working on some stuff at the moment marketing wise)
  • Same here we have a load of work to do cant get it done in teh normal day cleaning up the system, but overtime stopped to cleanse wont happen
  • I got promoted to a grade where you can't claim overtime - nut you also don't get a rise!

Apparently there are bonuses but I'm yet to see one so far - something about no money in "the pot"

Still at least the contractor that does exactly the same role as me on 4 times my salary is ok for another year......grrrrrrrr
  • As you have pointed out DA9 you do still have a job, we have put a cap on all salarys for 2009, it has to be done, companies now need to run a very tight ship as things are going to get a lot worse, especially in the first 1/4 of 2009
  • can't complain if you have a tracker mortgage - mine has fallen by 50% since October and now paying peanuts.
  • My dosh gets cut in mid jan, hopefully a win might soften the blow, then again.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I got promoted to a grade where you can't claim overtime - nut you also don't get a rise!

Apparently there are bonuses but I'm yet to see one so far - something about no money in "the pot"

Still at least the contractor that does exactly the same role as me on 4 times my salary is ok for another year......grrrrrrrr

Civil Servant?
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I got promoted to a grade where you can't claim overtime - nut you also don't get a rise!

Civil Servant?

Ha ha, I wondered exactly the same thing. There's always overpaid contractors in my office as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2008
    yep over paid contractors who dont get holiday pay , sick leave, pension etc etc that pay their own tax and NI cons, that will work 20 hours a day or 35 without a break or do jobs that "real workers" wont do ------------------------------------ love it please keep it up, thats what paid my mortgage off and keeps my phone ringing.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]yep over paid contractors who dont get holiday pay , sick leave, pension etc etc that pay their own tax and NI cons, that will work 20 hours a day or 35 without a break or do jobs that "real workers" wont do
    love it please keep it up, thats what paid my mortgage off and keeps my phone ringing.

Woman does exactly the same as me but gets over £750 a day
    If you take a day off sick she says "I never take a sick day" nor would I if I got paid that kind of money. I'd come in and do bugger all.

We have contractors on that money who are worth it but I can't see she is worth 13k a month!

Wouldn't mind if she was a nice person but she is an odious bitch who loves flaunting her Amex black card (incidentally it's made of titanium now) so don't even bother thinking I am jealous

And no, not a civil servant - oracle financials support and inplementations for an insurance company
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]yep over paid contractors who dont get holiday pay , sick leave, pension etc etc that pay their own tax and NI cons, that will work 20 hours a day or 35 without a break or do jobs that "real workers" wont do
    love it please keep it up, thats what paid my mortgage off and keeps my phone ringing.

Blimey mate, do you sleep? You work 20 hours a day and spend the rest on here!!!
  • Off now VM which i dont get paid for .
  • I work in the public sector and yes, even we are being hit hard. Luckily my employers weren't stupid enough to invest monies in Iceland unlike Kent (£50m!!!!! FFS!!!!!).

We are under orders to end all contractor placements by the end of the FY. No agency staff unless they are authorised by the Chief Exec. We've cut back on advertising jobs, only using our website. And we still expect there to be natural wastage, though hopefully no compulsory redundancies yet.
  • It really seems to be hitting the UK hard - I think the economy out here has slowed a bit, but in Canada we are cushioned by a weak Canadian dollar against the US dollar which means our manufacturing sector is doing comparatively OK. I don't see much evidence of the crunch...although I notice my local papers which were advertising page after page of jobs last year, are down to just a few at the moment.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]And no, not a civil servant - oracle financials support and inplementations for an insurance company
    LOL - Oracle Financials? License to print money right there. Used to work with a bloke who knew f*** all except Oracle - he was crap at that too BTW - he was on 900 quid a day and trousered nearly all of it because of 'creative accounting'. I'd forgotten more about IT than this tool would ever learn yet he was earning more than twice what I was (signficantly more seeing as his thieving shyster accountants managed to extricate all his ill-gotten gains off to foreign climes unmolested).

Hey-ho - part of the job in IT is working with people you can't stand, don't respect and 'earn' more than you despite having the social skills of a toadstool and intelligence of a woodlouse
  • Public sector is full of idle assholes - FACT.
  • We had a tosser at work last week claim that the credit crunch wasn't as bad as everyone was talking about as it had not caused him any problems.

He is 53, single, lives with mummy and daddy, is a job that it bloody hard to get kicked out of, works a lot of overtime, and gets a new car every year!

He was called a few names!
  • He must have a massive garage if he gets a new car every year