Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our Defence - I don't understand

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
If you look at our defence Cranie, Fortune, Hudson and McEvely/ Youga / Basey, its not a bad defence. I accept that I am not a great academic of the game, but they are not individually bad or am I wrong? Put them together and the facts state that they are cack! can anyone explain why? Is it that my initial individual assessment is wrong or that the midfield is not doing its defensive job (or attacking job) or is it just bad chemistry? can someone explain?

Comments

• Options
    I think PP is doing the best he can by picking a settled back 4 or at least a settled 2 centre backs. I would have hoped they would gel a lot quicker than they are.
  • Options
    If/when they leave they will all be decent players for other clubs, I don't think that back four is that bad, but all other areas of the team aren't good enough. Not sure about Weaver or Elliot at the moment, midfield isn't creative enough or strong enough at times, up front we're poor.
  • Options
    I'm no football nerd but IMO it seems to be the fact that not just our defence but our whole team is constantly being reshuffled, its all about team chemistry, learning to play together, reshuffling is the mistake Pards made, to win we r gonna have to keep the same team week in week out, unless injuries occur, it may start badly but as soon as that first win comes, which it will the team will feel more confident together and we may start putting a string of results together, however, that is only my opinion against the many others and how long it takes to get that first win remains to be seen!
  • Options
    its all about team chemistry, learning to play together

That's something we rarely seem to have, though most other Championship clubs do have.

That's a big reason why Hull and clubs like Reading in the past did so well in their first Premier League season. Not because they have 11 Premier League quality players. We used to be like that.
  • Options
    Could the syntax of the header on this thread be simplified to read "Our defence don't understand" ?
  • Options
    Most of the season, we have looked like a Sunday morning team, who show up outside the pub to find that they are 4-5 players short of a full team. Then after 20 mins of driving around we find some players, the only thing is that no ones know what position they play or even their names.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Most of the season, we have looked like a Sunday morning team, who show up outside the pub to find that they are 4-5 players short of a full team. Then after 20 mins of driving around we find some players, the only thing is that no ones know what position they play or even their names.

And three of the five are still drunk!
  • Options
    And which two are you suggesting are sober?
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And got no boots.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]And which two are you suggesting are sober?

I think they take it in turns.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that Hudson is on a mission for Simon Jordan- "Go to that Valley lot- let in lots of soft goals- get them relegated (make sure you have a clause in your contract that you'll be released if they get relegated) and come back to Palarse and we'll give you a bumper contract and Jordan has his revenge on us for relegating them from the premiership and then pinching their manager!

Thats the only reason I can think of for his lack of concentration at times and general defending at set pieces!!!!!
  • Options
    Crainey yet again got done for pace vs the blades and their guy was able to pick out his man with a cross for (1st?) goal, yet people maintain he is a good defender and Moo2 is rubbish.

The reason we are conceding is that we invite pressure by not moving out when the ball is cleared. It is worth trying a defence of Moo2 Fortune Youga McEverley, and have them push up to the hallf way line so we can play football in our opponents half. As it goes, the oppo do that and we have only Boazza up front with real pace to catch them out. When the football is always in our half we are bound to concede.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Crainey yet again got done for pace vs the blades and their guy was able to pick out his man with a cross for (1st?) goal, yet people maintain he is a good defender and Moo2 is rubbish.

The reason we are conceding is that we invite pressure by not moving out when the ball is cleared. It is worth trying a defence of Moo2 Fortune Youga McEverley, and have them push up to the hallf way line so we can play football in our opponents half. As it goes, the oppo do that and we have only Boazza up front with real pace to catch them out. When the football is always in our half we are bound to concede.

Strange as it seems we are missing Jerome Thomas!!!! Or someone like him anyway.

The defence had an "out" ball with him and he would invariably do a few stepovers or whatever, get fouled and win us a free kick. (How we wasted the free kick is another issue!).

We don't seem to have a midfielder or wide player who can play that role at the moment although I reckon Sam could do it.
  • Options
    I have it on good authority that Moo2 is really frustrated at being overlooked and really wants to play for the club but doesn't believe that the management, and Parky in particular, has faith in him. IMHO he deserves a decent crack of the whip given the chances given to other players, some of them not even belonging to us. Sadly, if Parky remains I can see him moving on in January.
  • Options
    I think it is very possible that we will not see Moots in a first team Charlton shirt again.
  • Options
    Thats fustrates me as I feel Moo2 is one of our best players, but like most lacks consistency, however, prefer him to Cranie,

Why don't we get Cafu in, Garforth Town or Charlton.............................Garforth probably

But seriously he probably lacks the pace, can't be as slow as Hudson surely, I would bow down to the man if he came but lets face facts Garforth is probably a much more attractive place to be than charlton at the moment and money is no issue for the man so I guess Fortune will have to do :(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If you look at our defence Cranie, Fortune, Hudson and McEvely/ Youga / Basey, its not a bad defence. I accept that I am not a great academic of the game, but they are not individually bad or am I wrong? Put them together and the facts state that they are cack! can anyone explain why? Is it that my initial individual assessment is wrong or that the midfield is not doing its defensive job (or attacking job) or is it just bad chemistry? can someone explain?

Same reason as England are cack 11 (or 16) great players together = Cack?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I think it is very possible that we will not see Moots in a first team Charlton shirt again.

Shame as he should go on and do well for another club.

Cranie's loan has finished, though I can see us getting him until the end of the season.

If we don't, we now have no right back apart from Chris Solly. Can't see Semedo playing there as Parkinson likes him as a midfielder.
  • Options
    I think Moutouakil will come back into the side as soon as Mceverley and Cranie go back.

Mainly as then we only have Solly as you say. you can only get better with games, he really bombs it down those wings and his crosses are better than most.
  • Options
    If you look at the defenders none of them is playing badly individually. But we constantly invite pressure by playing 2 wingers and 2 defensive midfielders, allowing the opposition midfield to push forward and we conceed free kicks etc just outside our box. Invite enough pressure and eventually they will get through. We need a more forward thinking midfielder, maybe Shelvey could do the job, although Parkinson seems reluctant to play him, and forgo a winger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mstoneaddick[/cite]If you look at the defenders none of them is playing badly individually. But we constantly invite pressure by playing 2 wingers and 2 defensive midfielders, allowing the opposition midfield to push forward and we conceed free kicks etc just outside our box. Invite enough pressure and eventually they will get through. We need a more forward thinking midfielder, maybe Shelvey could do the job, although Parkinson seems reluctant to play him, and forgo a winger.

Always worked for Curbishley, either one winger or even no wingers and a more narrow midfield. Not sure we have many players that can play like that though, we used to have Stuart, Kishishev, Konchesky etc that could play out wide but were decent enough defensively. Basey is probably the closest.
  • Options
    If you looked against QPR he played Waghorn deeper many times joining Semedo and Bailey in the middle. If we play 3 in the middle it does give Bouazza and Sam license to get forward. It worked for Bailey through the middle against QPR.