Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No Confidence Vote -- for Parky, or for the Board?

Comments

• Options
    i think you sum it up well Daggsthe constant refrences to new investors at a time when we all should be 100% focused on the pitch is a huge concern to me
  • Options
    Would agree with the majority of what Daggs said.

With the transfer window only a day and a bit away we should have a Manager in place simple as that. If the Board think Parky is the man (personally I don’t) then they should appoint him to the end of the season. This waiting is simply doing us no good and the league position underlines that.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Daggs is right - the board have done an astonishing job, but have lost their sure-footedness and are looking for the exit door themselves. There's not really much point in this constant criticism.

What is American_Addick's agenda here? He goes to see Derek Chappell at Bromley, hears his answers without complaint, then spends his days logging on here to coat the man off, insinuating there's boardroom trouble (or maybe hoping to start some?).

I'm sorry, but stating the obvious over 250 words when "we're in the shit - what are the board going to do next?" will do is not a brilliant piece of analysis. If American_Addick has any solutions, perhaps he should offer them rather than trying to stir up trouble.
  • Options
    From the quotes Parkinson made yesterday regarding potential signings in the January window I get the impression that he will get the job until the end of the season. Like others I would prefer to see a new management team in place (Paul Ince would be nice but I can't see it). Either way the board need to take there heads out of the sand and make a decision. I agree with the comments made by others that the waiting is not doing the club any good and as each day goes by without any appointment being made (or confirmed) our chances of staying up are getting slimming by the minute.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]
    I'm sorry, but stating the obvious over 250 words when "we're in the shit - what are the board going to do next?" will do is not a brilliant piece of analysis. If American_Addick has any solutions, perhaps he should offer them rather than trying to stir up trouble.

Jeez mate, the guy is offering his opinion, just like everyone else on here, and everyone else in the blogging community.

What is the problem with that ?

Or is it that you wrongly and others wrongly suspect that it is not his opinion ?
  • Options
    Of course he's entitled to his opinion. I really don't want to get involved in the politics of those I don't know very well - if I was, I'd be swimming with the mailing list nutjobs - but I can't help thinking there's an ulterior motive to his postings. Because he doesn't offer much that's new, just a drip-drip-drip of criticism of Chappell.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but be suspicious.
  • Options
    Inspector, I stand by my (own) words.
    I am sure that Derek Chappell will stand by his words, as well.
  • Options
    you dont seem suspicious inspector it is bordering on paranoia

I think Chappell deserves his criticism as do all of the bboard no one is being rude or derogatory just plan un happy
  • Options
    Well I think that the board really do need to appoint Parky or get rid pretty damn quick. I suspect even those who disagree with whatever that is will feel a lot happier that we know where we stand. Mr Chappell needs to say something very soon and until he does the critisism will undoubtedly continue.
  • Options
    All this talk of ulterior motives and hidden agendas and suspicion of this or that poster because they're friends with this or that other party is doing my head in!

I don't know any of the politics behind it and I don't want to...we are all seeking a Charlton revival, aren't we? And we all are entitled to an opinion on the best way to bring about that comonly desired outcome. And Charlton Life was set up as a forum for just such discussions. Wasn't it?

So what's the problem?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We don't win matches anymore, Nigel. That's the problem.

;o)
  • Options
    nail on head oggster if we were winning all would be fine
  • Options
    whats winning ?
  • Options
    Yeah, there is that Oggster!

But all we're trying to do on here is discuss why and debate the best way forward. Dunno why some people seem to want to curtail what seems like a rather important discussion...
  • Options
    i think what AA posts has a lot of relevance,

i find it a diferent view than my own on some issues and the same as my own on others.

To be fair and i dont want to drag up issues that caused pain on here but the thread that kicked it all off with some members was exactly what this debate needed it got out of hand unfortunately

some i find it plausable in many ways and it provokes a thought change but maybe not the same answer as AA.

surely as adults we can read what we want, say what we want (within reason on here for AFKA and the gangs sake) think what we want,
  • Options
    I'm with American Addick. I was at the Bromley meeting and it seemed pretty clear to me that Mr Chappell wanted Parky to remain in situ. As I have previously stated, I questioned him after about an hour re the fact, that he had said nothing, to give me any confidence that we were going to stay up. His strategy was that he "hoped" Parkinson would turn things round and that appeared to be all there was. I gave him the opportunity to give some further optimism, but he simply repeated that he "hoped" Parky would turn it round.
    I felt somewhat disillusioned, but felt out on a limb as I get the distinct impression that few at the Bromley meetings like any serious meaningful questions. Preferring to talk about how our kids in Africa are doing etc, which is all well and good, but not as important as our current league position.
  • Options
    Parky himself is a bit evasive in his OS interviews.

Much reference to, " If I'm to stay, I have to get results", and, "If I have to leave, I know I'll be able to leave with my head held high", and other stuff of that ilk. So to me, I feel he's fearing the worst.

However, the Board evidently seem impressed with Parky in everything except results.
    But surely they wont just let things run, cross their fingers and hope for the best, will they?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Parky himself is a bit evasive in his OS interviews.

Much reference to, " If I'm to stay, I have to get results", and, "If I have to leave, I know I'll be able to leave with my head held high", and other stuff of that ilk. So to me, I feel he's fearing the worst.

However, the Board evidently seem impressed with Parky in everything except results.
    But surely they wont just let things run, cross their fingers and hope for the best, will they?

Any prospective Manager willl have to not only accept the position we're in (which he good view as either a poisoned challice or a no lose situation) but, moreover, he will have next to nothing monetary wise to bring new signings in and very little time to do anything about it.

The Board, by giving the vote of confidence to Parky, effectively lost the opportunity for someone new to get an overview of where the squad's deficiencies are and who to target in January. Let's face it, we're not the only ones looking to bring players in in January but the difference is that other teams will know who they want and will have already put the "feelers" out.
  • Options
    I too was at the Bromley meeting. I think its fair to say it was a fairly subdued meeting.

Not least becuase Chappell had been unwell for five days previously including missing the Derby game the night before when he was ill in bed with flu. He looked very unwell on the night of the meeting although I am told he looks that way most of the time.

I feel he has been unnecessarily slated regarding the Matrix which is probably just a method of getting some order to how you spend the budgetted payroll.

I think there may be some essence in the Boardroom split theory but that would not be uncommon on most boards including footy ones. They are successful and powerful men (normally).

But the one statement from DC that stuck in mind was that this is a results driven business and that would be the ultimate factor in determining Parkys future. He obviously wouldnt be drawn what was the necessary target.

Well on that basis it has self evidently not been a success and I cannot see any basis on which DC retains any credibility now if Parky stays. I am sorry and wish it was different.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    OK so if the board is so carefree with their money, you tell me why first Les Reed was allowed to manage our club (which make no mistake sent us down) and why Phil Parkinson is still in charge now?? In both cases (Reed and Parkinson) we have needed and experienced manager to come in and save us and in both cases we got the cheapest alternative. Bag me all you want, you guys only believe what you want to believe, you wanted Pardew hanged yet won't hear a bad word said about the board?It reminds of those times Chris Powell was costing us goals but no one was allowed to say a bad thing about him true or not. You guys have got blinkers on, time to take them off realise just why and how we got into this mess. We sold Bent for 16 mill, where did that money go? We also got money for dropping out of the EPL (was it 12mill?) what the feck happened to that? we certainly didn't spend 10 mill on players let alone 26 mill.

In 3 years we'll be in the conference and still it will be YOU GUYS making the asses out of yourselves saying the board can't be blamed. Honestly, time to get a clue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2008
    This is yet another thread, started I believe with the honorable intention of provoking thoughtful debate yet seems to have taken on a kind of paranoia of it's own.

The following is merely my opinion having read a number of posts, some from those "in the know" and I am prepared to be shot down for putting it forward.

For what it's worth I believe there is a schism at the heart of our clubs Board which is why we have reached this unsatisfactory position. I believe that a number of Board members wanted Pardew removed at the end of last season due to a manifest failure to meet even the minimum objective of a play off spot, but that view did not prevail. In hindsight that looks to have been a bad decision. I believe that the financial implications of the clubs position after the Dowie and then Pardew proflagacy failures plus the general economic downturn left a dilemna for a disunited Board: specifically do they let things take their course with Pardew at the helm knowing the costs of removing him, or do they bite the bullet, take the hit, get rid of him and start afresh. Each way lay risks but I believe those who now head up the PLC took the line of least resistance and kept him on. I feel that that same position is driving the dither and delay over appointing a permanent successor with a currently prevailing view that to save additional expenditure, Parky should be given a real go.

My own view is that at most, he should have been given four games to see if he could bring about a change of fortune. He has manifestly failed and they now have to face the decision that should have been taken weeks ago. I believe there is still a significant pull towards saving costs by keeping Parky on. I think this is a mistake (although I freely acknowledge that it aint my money). There are several external candidates out there with far greater track records than Phil.

I am not one to criticise the club lightly or the directors who have bankrolled the club. I have great respect for the Board, especially Richard Murray. I will never forget that he, along with Martin Simmons and one or two others kept the club afloat and helped pave the way for the Premiership years. Despite mistakes that Murray has made, I am willing to forgive him pretty much anything. We are however in a deep hole, dug largely by bad appointments and decisions made. We must though send a clear message to them that we respect all they have done for the club, but now it is time to get their heads together, pull together for the clubs future and ensure that everything that is within their power to achieve is done to halt the decline which, I need not point out, has seen us go a record equalling 16 games without a win. In my opinion a new broom is required and without further delay.
  • Options
    Very pertinent Bing and I am in accord with what you say. But, from the board's perspective, if the 'problem' as it perceives it, is that we have poor players plus had too many loanees, then it makes sense from this viewpoint to change the players, and it would seem that this is the course of action it will pursue. It is a huge gamble with what little money we may have left and one that I do not personally believe will work. How then do we send a clear message to the board, surely it already knows what we think?
  • Options
    It is the managers job to get the best out of the players. I can't escape the view that over the past two seasons we have had enough playing resources not to be in the predicament we now find ourselves. Ultimately the manager's job is to fashion players into a winning team. Pardew failed to do this and Parky has not changed things enough. Personally, I don't believe we have a squad which is as bad as our league position.

As for sending a message well I think that many, indeed the majority of us (including me) voted on here at the end of last season for Pards to be given at least another season. There were significant votes for giving him until November but also for him being outed before the start of the season. We did not convey an overwhelming feeling that he should go. I think now is time for us to speak with as much unity as possible and send that clear unequivocal message that a change is needed now.
  • Options
    This makes no sense to me, the manager is the problem and what we have spent on loanees and players wages far exceeds any managerial bill, how much do you think Parkinson is on not more than £250K surely??? We need to get a new manager in and let them determine the playing staff, from what is said above RM or Chappell are in charge of the playing squad.

If not maybe Parkinson talks as good a game as Dowie.
  • Options
    A decision. Any decision on Parkinson needs to be done VERY soon.
  • Options
    I simply don't understand why a new manager and HIS team are not being sought, or are they?
    as fans few of us really know the truth but if Parkies job is dependent on results, thanks for trying.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]OK so if the board is so carefree with their money, you tell me why first Les Reed was allowed to manage our club (which make no mistake sent us down) and why Phil Parkinson is still in charge now?? In both cases (Reed and Parkinson) we have needed and experienced manager to come in and save us and in both cases we got the cheapest alternative. Bag me all you want, you guys only believe what you want to believe, you wanted Pardew hanged yet won't hear a bad word said about the board?It reminds of those times Chris Powell was costing us goals but no one was allowed to say a bad thing about him true or not. You guys have got blinkers on, time to take them off realise just why and how we got into this mess. We sold Bent for 16 mill, where did that money go? We also got money for dropping out of the EPL (was it 12mill?) what the feck happened to that? we certainly didn't spend 10 mill on players let alone 26 mill.

In 3 years we'll be in the conference and still it will be YOU GUYS making the asses out of yourselves saying the board can't be blamed. Honestly, time to get a clue.

There's not a poster on this board that doesn't realise the board have made some horrendous mistakes you numbskull.
    The difference between them and you though is that you want to slag them off for it with statements like being unwilling to put any more money in...they are all to a man fellow Addicks...we've had some great times with them and most of us and they are loyal by nature....it's one of the things that keeps this club hanging on by it's finger nails to a great extent....they are not faceless individuals.
    It's not the case of 'not having a bad word said about them' as you try to insinuate.....they and we know it's mostly their fault we are in this situation...they and we are not fools pal....don't you think the responsibility and dissapointment must be overwhelming for them....you talk like they don't give a shyte, whereas we ALL know they do.
    However there's a 'big' difference between our board members and many other clubs in that they are true fans, true Addicks and 'that's why' they still get our support(though don't confuse that with 'unconditional' support) and not aimless fist shaking and slagging off...after your ridiculous post yesterday you think you'd have enough sense to pipe down.
    For the record ANY Addick can approach just about any of our board members look then straight in the face and tell 'em they've screwed up so why not do that...they'll not avoid you or your opinion or skulk off in the back of a chauffer driven limo or sneak out the side entrance surrounded by security guards...mistakes or no mistakes I'll still treat them as fellow Addicks.
    Thus far you've not come up with 'anything' that they or we don't already know...you're just going over old ground in order to make mischeif for some reason....we need to look forward now (though that's hard as hell I know), not back, and you're comments are intentionaly insulting.
    Lastly your poster name is quite ironic when you think of it...what 'mouni' have YOU put in sunshine?
    What's your remit?
  • Options
    People have to understand that the board changes, people are appointed in different roles and things as a whole change due to different people making different decisions..

4 years back, our board could do no wrong, noticed as one of the best in Europe for its work in the community and small club blah blah no money work...

Now people have to understand alot has changed in the last 2 years.

The board have proved they don't know what to do and panic in our current situation.

The cool heads that used to prove vital (Murray ect) (pains me to say it) have made some bad mistakes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]
    The cool heads that used to prove vital (Murray ect) (pains me to say it) have made some bad mistakes.

But is it them making the decisions though ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]People have to understand that the board changes, people are appointed in different roles and things as a whole change due to different people making different decisions..

4 years back, our board could do no wrong, noticed as one of the best in Europe for its work in the community and small club blah blah no money work...

Now people have to understand alot has changed in the last 2 years.

The board have proved they don't know what to do and panic in our current situation.

Exactly Andy...that's positive criticism and honesty.....whereas Mounis comments are meant to be demeaning and spiteful...IMHO that is.....others may disagree.