Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone an electrician - advice required

all the downstairs appliances went out yesterday. Went to fuseboard but no fuses had tripped, ie had not switched to off as before. By testing each fuse discovered the one that had tripped. From running an extension cable from the garage then plugged each appliance into that until we discovered that the washing machine was not working. Replaced fuse in washing machine, put fuse in switchboard back to on and everything hunky dory. Until six hours later when everything went out again. This time it was the dishwasher that has blown. Is this too much of a coincidence ? Why hasn't the fuse in the fusebox tripped (switched off). What should I do next ? Is the fuse in the fuse box faulty ? Any assistance greatly apprecaited.

Comments

• Options
    Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
  • Options
    Paying your f'ing leckie bill might help Large!
  • Options
    fuses in the appliances will be rated at 13 amps but the one in the board will be 32 amps which should mean that anything with any kind of fault should generaly blow the fuses in the plug first . Coincidence I would say but other than overloading the washing machine which makes the motor struggle and causes the fuse to blow there must be some other fault on both the appliances
  • Options
    First a clarification. You speak of 'fuses' in the 'Fuseboard' Do you mean a modern consumer unit fitted with MCB's which trip and are reset-able? And if so does the Consumer unit also contain an RCD safety device?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]First a clarification. You speak of 'fuses' in the 'Fuseboard' Do you mean a modern consumer unit fitted with MCB's which trip and are reset-able? And if so does the Consumer unit also contain an RCD safety device?

yes, a modern consumer unit with MCB which normally trip and are resetable. I think it contains an RCD but not 100% on that.
  • Options
    The RCD takes up more space than an MCB (about 3-4 spaces) and has a red lever (usually) on the front. If this trips, the whole house loses power. Or in more recent installations all circuits go but lighting stays on.
    It doesn't sound like this has tripped.
    Two plug fuses going in such a short space of time is odd but not unknown. Assuming they were both 13A they may blow before the relevant MCB trips, but it's not guaranteed. Fuses, though much more accurate nowdays are not as sensitive as MCB's. In short circuit conditions the MCB will trip before a 13A fuse has time to blow.
    If everything is working, just monitor the situation. But make sure both plugs contain the manufacturers recommended rated fuse (probably 13A) and check the relevant MCB is rated at 32A assuming the appliances are fed from the kitchen ring circuit. All circuits in a consumer unit should be identified clearly. If they are not, spend some time to do so. It's for your own benefit.
  • Options
    I have an RCD but that hasn't tripped.

What I don't understand is that although the washing machine fuse went the MCB didn't trip (cut off) although all the other appliances on that circuit also went off.
  • Options
    If i take that last comment at face value, i would be concerned about the performance of that MCB and would replace it.
    Without seeing the problem for myself, i am working somewhat in the dark (no pun intended) Some older MCB's have push button reset and more modern ones have a small lever resets. I wouldn't be surprised if a button type did what you describe, but would be surprised if a lever type did it. Nonetheless if you're sure about it, change it.
  • Options
    it is a small lever type. Problem has now escalated in that a couple of plug sockets seem not to be working as if you plug those appliances, eg a lamp, in elsewhere the appliance works okay. Seems like an electrician is the only way to go now. Thanks for your help everyone.
  • Options
    yeah what daggs said :oP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This indicates a cable fault is the most likely explanation. Any work going on in the area?