Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many different companies have you worked for?

Seeing the thread questioning Defoe's loyalty...if I'm right he's played for four clubs: Charlton, West Ham, Spurs and Portsmouth, so four different employers in ten years as a pro.

I wonder how many different employers Lifers have had and I'm not counting paper-rounds, but proper jobs ie those since you left school/uni and entered full time employed life.

Comments

• Options
    For the record I'm onto my fourth employer in around 20 years post uni.
  • Options
    How bout Marcus Bent, 11 clubs in 13 years as a pro, now thats loyalty.........or just a sign of a lazy and overly shite player!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]How bout Marcus Bent, 11 clubs in 13 years as a pro, now thats loyalty.........or just a sign of a lazy and overly shite player!!!

The latter - not good enough for the Premiership, perhaps too good for the Championship.
  • Options
    2 employees in 13 years as a worker

I should have had a testimonial 2 years ago but they must have missed me

If I hang on for 25 years I get a free party and a tie!!
  • Options
    Three Employers in 21 years.

Football wise played for same saturday side for 11 years & same sunday side for 12 years, now playing my fourth season for same vets side, so I would call myself pretty loyal.
  • Options
    4 firms in 16 years
  • Options
    1 employer (The NHS) in last15 years, But at me 4th hospital Newham General (plaistow), King Georges (ilford), St Georges (tooting) and now Queen Elizabeth (woolwich)
  • Options
    since finishing college have worked for 4 different employers (only just started at number 4) that is about 11 1/2 years
  • Options
    Been working for 19 years - have had around twenty employers - though most of these were contracts (the heady days of the early noughties when IT bods jumped from one job to another every month). At one time or another I have been:
    Bin man
    Chippy
    Roofer
    Fishmonger
    Nightclub bar manager
    Trade Union Offical
    Librarian
    Database Admin
    Network Admin
    Project Manager
    Security Admin
    Infrastructure Architect

Pretty varied!
  • Options
    I have been since leaving college:

6 months Shop Work

1 year full time Fitness Instructor (They promised qualifications and paid an apprentice wage)

1 Year 2 Months Full time Pensions Admin

Since August been a Travel Claims call handler 6 month contract - I miss my fitness instructors job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hi Leroy

I know we chatted a bit about Netapp a while ago, Was wondering if I could email you as I am looking at using some for CIF's storage and would love to get some impartial advice from someone who uses them. It is basically for CIFS file sotrage rather than using an HP ISCSI solution with MSA's- the netapp is considerably more expensive but I understand there are alot of advantages
  • Options
    Erm yeah maybe a whisper so as not to frazzle brains ;o)
  • Options
    Since 1984 i've had 5 different jobs

OFFICE JUNIOR
    POSTMAN
    HYGIENE OPERATIVE IN A MEAT FACTORY
    CUSTOMER SERVICES
    MESSENGER/PORTER/POSTROOM BOD
  • Options
    Hmmm

Host at the Millennium Dome
    Civil Servant at the Home Office
    Worked for a Dot com
    Back to the Civil Service
    Set up a sports charity
    Back to the civil service
    and from Monday to a Trade Union
  • Options
    2 in the last 25 years, both proved in their own way I'm just a number. Equally I would show them the same Defore type loyalty.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nine companies since 1993, including a spell in self employment. I haven't stayed longer than two years with any of them.

Boredom sets in very, very quickly...
  • Options
    Two, one while I did my "A" levels - Asda and the same one for the last 25 years
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]Hi Leroy

I know we chatted a bit about Netapp a while ago, Was wondering if I could email you as I am looking at using some for CIF's storage and would love to get some impartial advice from someone who uses them. It is basically for CIFS file sotrage rather than using an HP ISCSI solution with MSA's- the netapp is considerably more expensive but I understand there are alot of advantages
    Of course. And, just to p*** Dazzler off, I won't bother whispering.

There are a number of advantages to using NetApp filers as opposed to 'just' an iSCSI solution. However, most of these have to do with performance for things like transactional processing on big ol' databases (what I use NetApp for) or for providing writable copies of LUNs (e.g. for training purposes, testing/staging systems etc). Without getting into the semantics of it all, if you're just looking for dumb CIFS then, IMHO, NetApp is a huge waste of money. Just get an MSA or similar in and run OpenFiler on a server - That way you're only paying for the hardware and don't even need to shell out for a Windows license for it. I've got OpenFiler running as my SAN for my ESX cluster at home - works fine and needs almost zero maintenance. Even if you do shell out for a Windows license it still works out oodles cheaper than a NetApp. TBH, I'm moving away from NetApps completely soon and putting our Oracle DB on an EqualLogic - they're cheaper (a brand new EQL 5000 PS series with dual controllers and a shelf load of 15K disks adding up to 2Tb of storage is cheaper than just the SHELF of a NetApp with the same disks in.)

All that said, the main benefits of NetApp are:
    Faster and more fault tolerant performance (RAID DP (double parity) gives you better performance than pretty much any RAID solution available, is more robust than RAID 5 and cheaper than RAID 50)
    WAFL file system - allowing snapshotting, faster recovery of data in the event of a crash and access from Windows and UNIX systems at the same time
    De-duplication algorithms that will search for and eliminate redundant copies of the same file on volumes
    SnapDrive - a windows mmc plugin that allows you to manage your LUNs - including snapshotting (bad sadly not cloning) from your windows servers without needing to resort to the arcane NetApp CLI
    Designed specifically for high throughput environments where reliability and availability are key

PM me if you need any more info
  • Options
    Me...3 in thirty three years of my working life
  • Options
    8 since 1980.
    No loyalty on my part anywhere.
    Employers pay for for my time and skills and use them for their ends.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    since I eft school 25 years ago I've had 7 different employers and as from next month will be self employed for the first time
  • Options
    Since i left school i have done 6mths as a suspended ceiling fitter (only got as far as his labourer)

then 15 years fulltime at Coca Cola and before that 12 months as an agency worker at Coca Cola

so 3 companies only 2 jobs
  • Options
    About to change jobs at the end of Jan, but on my second employer since I left University in 1992, 12 years and 11 months on the day I leave my current one!
  • Options
    1 employer in 16 years.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited January 2009
    10 in 21 years....blimey that's a lot really! Bloody mercenary
  • Options
    1 employer in 6 years since leavin college.
  • Options
    11 firms in 27 years, but some twice.

Just for the record, I don't think Defoe ever played for us. Pro football is a short career, very short for some. I don't begrudge any pro footballer anything.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]Hi Leroy

Of course. And, just to p*** Dazzler off, I won't bother whispering.

There are a number of advantages to using NetApp filers as opposed to 'just' an iSCSI solution. However, most of these have to do with performance for things like transactional processing on big ol' databases (what I use NetApp for) or for providing writable copies of LUNs (e.g. for training purposes, testing/staging systems etc). Without getting into the semantics of it all, if you're just looking for dumb CIFS then, IMHO, NetApp is a huge waste of money. Just get an MSA or similar in and run OpenFiler on a server - That way you're only paying for the hardware and don't even need to shell out for a Windows license for it. I've got OpenFiler running as my SAN for my ESX cluster at home - works fine and needs almost zero maintenance. Even if you do shell out for a Windows license it still works out oodles cheaper than a NetApp. TBH, I'm moving away from NetApps completely soon and putting our Oracle DB on an EqualLogic - they're cheaper (a brand new EQL 5000 PS series with dual controllers and a shelf load of 15K disks adding up to 2Tb of storage is cheaper than just the SHELF of a NetApp with the same disks in.)

All that said, the main benefits of NetApp are:
    Faster and more fault tolerant performance (RAID DP (double parity) gives you better performance than pretty much any RAID solution available, is more robust than RAID 5 and cheaper than RAID 50)
    WAFL file system - allowing snapshotting, faster recovery of data in the event of a crash and access from Windows and UNIX systems at the same time
    De-duplication algorithms that will search for and eliminate redundant copies of the same file on volumes
    SnapDrive - a windows mmc plugin that allows you to manage your LUNs - including snapshotting (bad sadly not cloning) from your windows servers without needing to resort to the arcane NetApp CLI
    Designed specifically for high throughput environments where reliability and availability are key

PM me if you need any more info

brain fried
  • Options
    Roofer for about 8 different companies
    Trainee sparks
    Shop assistant in next
    3 different chip shops
    Milk round
    Maintainence man
    Butler
    Slaughterman
    Cab driver
    Courier
    Painter and decorator
    Window fabricator
    Car cleaner
    Receptionist
    Blimey you do the maths but i think i'm worse than Defoe
  • Options
    Carpet-fitter for 30 years,
    but have worked for some "iffy" shops.............