Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

people who applied for managers post

edited January 2009 in Rumours
heard ince di canio and robson were on it,that appointment is saddest since ken craggs,theres a touch of the bumpkin billionaires to this club!

Comments

• Robson - worse than Parkinson, or Pardew for that matter.
    Ince - Ego the size of Greenland, we have just had one of those, it didn't work out well.
    Di Canio - Who knows?
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Ince - Ego the size of Greenland, we have just had one of those, it didn't work out well.

On what basis do you say that? Because as a 20 year old he made the mistake of wearing a Man Utd shirt while still at West Ham. I'm sure he regrets that and it had a lot to do with his agent looking for a nice cut. Because Ferguson called him a big-time Charlie, but recently said that was one of the biggest regrets of his career that he said that, and it was more out of dissapointment that Ince was leaving.

Working at Macclesfield, Swindon and MK Dons doesn't look like someone who thought he should walk straight into a big-time job. Even if he does have a big ego, don't think that always matters, Mourinho, Ferguson, Clough all had big egos, problem with Paardew was he ended up being shite and fecked our club up. If Ince was interested in coming here I think they have missed an opportunity.

Quote from 4-4-2 magazine by Ince.

"I spoke to Alex Ferguson and the deal was close to being done. I then went on holiday, and my agent at the time, Ambrose Mendy, said it wasn't worth me coming back to do a picture in a United shirt when the deal was completed, so I should do one before I left, and it would be released when the deal was announced. Lawrence Luster of the Daily Star took the picture and put in the library. Soon after, their sister paper, the Daily Express, were looking for a picture of me playing for West Ham, and found the one of me in the United shirt in the pile. They published it and all hell broke loose.

"I came back from holiday to discover West Ham fans were going mad. It wasn't really my fault. I was only a kid, I did what my agent told me to do, then took all the crap for it."
  • I think it's fair to say that DiCanio doesn't suffer from a shrinking ego either, but at least you feel he would have had Charlton in his heart.
    Relieved that Robson or Ince didn't get it.
  • Which Robson? And more importantly Nolly, does your source have any credibility or are they just repeating what they heard from someone else?
  • I think it's fair to say that DiCanio doesn't suffer from a shrinking ego either, but at least you feel he would have had Charlton in his heart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved Paolo as a player at the Valley, but cannot forget the fact that one week after signing a new one year contract he wanted out after Lazio came calling. I could have seen him doing the same thing again if he became manager and West Ham wanted him.

What a player tho. Gave his all for the club whilst he was with us.
  • I loved Paolo as a player at the Valley, but cannot forget the fact that one week after signing a new one year contract he wanted out after Lazio came calling. I could have seen him doing the same thing again if he became manager and West Ham wanted him.

I thought the club agreed to let him go to finish his career with his boyhood club, so it doesn't really count as disloyalty, i would hav loved to have seen him get the post, must be able to do better than 4 from 27?
  • Appointing Paolo would have been a huge gamble considering he has never managed a club before. Then again another manager at MK Dons is do very well at the moment considering it's his first position in management........
  • i think appointing parky is a massive gamble considering he amassed 3 out of 24 points.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Ince - Ego the size of Greenland, we have just had one of those, it didn't work out well.

On what basis do you say that? Because as a 20 year old he made the mistake of wearing a Man Utd shirt while still at West Ham. I'm sure he regrets that and it had a lot to do with his agent looking for a nice cut. Because Ferguson called him a big-time Charlie, but recently said that was one of the biggest regrets of his career that he said that, and it was more out of dissapointment that Ince was leaving.

Working at Macclesfield, Swindon and MK Dons doesn't look like someone who thought he should walk straight into a big-time job. Even if he does have a big ego, don't think that always matters, Mourinho, Ferguson, Clough all had big egos, problem with Paardew was he ended up being shite and fecked our club up. If Ince was interested in coming here I think they have missed an opportunity.

Quote from 4-4-2 magazine by Ince.

"I spoke to Alex Ferguson and the deal was close to being done. I then went on holiday, and my agent at the time, Ambrose Mendy, said it wasn't worth me coming back to do a picture in a United shirt when the deal was completed, so I should do one before I left, and it would be released when the deal was announced. Lawrence Luster of the Daily Star took the picture and put in the library. Soon after, their sister paper, the Daily Express, were looking for a picture of me playing for West Ham, and found the one of me in the United shirt in the pile. They published it and all hell broke loose.

"I came back from holiday to discover West Ham fans were going mad. It wasn't really my fault. I was only a kid, I did what my agent told me to do, then took all the crap for it."

A couple of points there Nug.

1] I have not met Ince personally so I admit my comments about his ego come from second-hand information that I have read and heard elsewhere. In particular, one of my best mates in the UK is a footie reporter on a big regional paper and he says that Ince and Harry Kewell are two of the most obnoxious people he has ever met in football - and this from a bloke who covered Leeds under Dennis Wise!!!

2] If you believe that story about Ince innocently appearing in the Man United shirt whilst still a West Ham player then I have some high quality real estate on the Ferrier Estate you may be interested in!!! I remember that transfer clear as a bell, a lot of my mates were Spammers, and Mendy/Ince engineered the whole thing through the press.

3] You are right that he has "done his time" in the lower leagues, and fair play to him for that, but his record at Blackburn was poor with what looks like a reasonable side - certainly not relegation fodder - and there was a lot of talk about him clashing personally with the players. Don't know if that's true or not. If Allardyce keeps Blackburn up then it will make Ince look bad.

4] We don't know if he was interested or applied for the job but if he was interested would he still have been so after learning we are 20 million in debt and are paying out 100% of revenues as wages and have no money to spend? I seriously doubt it.

5] I really believe that Charlton, especially over the last 20 years, have demonstrated they are a special club that needs a certain type of manager, not just any old off the shelf character from the merry go round. I think that you really have to KNOW Charlton to manage the club properly which is why I wanted a Peacock/Kinsella team appointed when Curbs left. We got Dowie.
  • i think appointing parky is a massive gamble considering he amassed 3 out of 24 points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could not agree more with you
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Amos on the wing[/cite]Appointing Paolo would have been a huge gamble considering he has never managed a club before. Then again another manager at MK Dons is do very well at the moment considering it's his first position in management........

Speak to as many Hull fans as I do and they will tell you appointing Parky was damn right stupidity.
  • [cite]Posted By: Amos on the wing[/cite]i think appointing parky is a massive gamble considering he amassed 3 out of 24 points.

Could not agree more with you

I think the fact we are apparently paying 100% of our revenues as wages tells you exactly why Parkinson got the job.
  • Speak to as many Hull fans as I do and they will tell you appointing Parky was damn right stupidity.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe but I'm sure that there are many Colchester fans who will say he did good things for there club. Personally I don't agree with Parkinson being appointed and I agree that the board have made the wrong choice.
  • ive just read that thread,and now it all makes perfect sense,how the hell has it come to this.I have read the e-mail list today and prague addick whats some answers and is considering a campaign to get some answers,when he decides which action to take,it could be exciting valley party re-visited.
  • It doesn't matter what Colchester or Hull fans think - his record is good at one and bad at the other - what matters is his record at Charlton .... No wins in 9 games, just three league draws against poor opposition and a downward spiral to bottom of the table

That's ALL that matters
  • but the wages to revenue secenario says it doesn't matter what his record is we are skint
  • [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]It doesn't matter what Colchester or Hull fans think - his record is good at one and bad at the other - what matters is his record at Charlton .... No wins in 9 games, just three league draws against poor opposition and a downward spiral to bottom of the table

That's ALL that matters
    No, supaclive, all that matters is his record between now & the end of the season. We can't change the past but we CAN support him from now & help him to achieve what we all want for our club. THAT'S all that matters.
  • Pete - he IS getting support - however, it's not the fans that will change the results or performances on the pitch ....

Stop blaming US for this mess!
  • edited January 2009
    FFS Supaclive how many times do we have to say this?
    We are not blaming the fans.
    WE ARE NOT BLAMING THE FANS!
    WE ARE NOT BLAMING THE FANS!!

What we are saying is that positive support can help the players to perform better, influence the officials and intimidate the opposition. That's partly why they have the concept of home advantage in cup competitions.
  • Nobody's blaming us FFS. All I'm saying that we must have a better chance as a club if we all get behind the manager, who WILL now be here for the rest of the season. No guarantees of course but we'll have a far better chance than if we all stand around moaning about the manager!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Ali/Pete - who's NOT supporting Parkinson?
  • [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Will the Parkinson Out thread do?

I want him out.

I think it wasa stupid decision to appoint him

I'll still get behind the team 100% at games, and for me that's all that matters.
  • And I respect you for that Stu, I really do. I can't say I was particularly overwhelmed by the outcome of the "strategic review" either, but I think it's pretty clear he is all we can afford.
  • edited January 2009
    Ali wrote : "can't say I was particularly overwhelmed by the outcome of the "strategic review" either, but I think it's pretty clear he is all we can afford."

It's becoming increasingly evident that we can't afford anything or anybody so whoever applied or was interested in the job is irrelevant.

We appointed Parky, because he costs us precisely nothing. The word is that he's on the same assistant manager's salary that he was on before and no new assistant has been appointed. If the board keep this no-addtional-cost arrangement in place for the next 18 months , it has effectively cost them nothing to get rid of Pardew - in financial terms, at least. It may well be to the ruination of the club. But that's another matter.

NSS - can you tell us more about the campaign Prague Addick and the e-mail list guys are planning/contemplating? Because I've been thinking increasingly over the last couple of days about how we might recapture the power and passion of the Valley Party days. It was the fans together with people like Roger Alwen and Richard Murray that saved our club back then. May be we have to try to do it all over again...
  • Nolly, welcome back. There was no list.
  • I have seen some names that applied for the job and you would be flabergasted at some of them......current managers of championship clubs, names already mentioned on this thread and ex-captains of national sides as well.

looking at the list all I can say is that the directors must have had money on Parky when he was at 7-1 with the bookies and cleaned up as their is no other reason - its like owning a f1 team and turning down Lewis Hamilton, Damon Hill etc to drive for you and employing one of the pit crew........cheap, but ain't going to win you a race, let alone the title !!
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I have seen some names that applied for the job and you would be flabergasted at some of them......current managers of championship clubs, names already mentioned on this thread and ex-captains of national sides as well.

looking at the list all I can say is that the directors must have had money on Parky when he was at 7-1 with the bookies and cleaned up as their is no other reason - its like owning a f1 team and turning down Lewis Hamilton, Damon Hill etc to drive for you and employing one of the pit crew........cheap, but ain't going to win you a race, let alone the title !!

With the greatest possible respect, where have you "seen some names that applied for the job"? What's your source for that claim?

Chirpy Red said back in December that there was NO list and that PP was nailed on....
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Ali wrote : "can't say I was particularly overwhelmed by the outcome of the "strategic review" either, but I think it's pretty clear he is all we can afford."

It's becoming increasingly evident that we can't afford anything or anybody so whoever applied or was interested in the job is irrelevant.

We appointed Parky, because he costs us precisely nothing. The word is that he's on the same assistant manager's salary that he was on before and no new assistant has been appointed. If the board keep this no-addtional-cost arrangement in place for the next 18 months , it has effectively cost them nothing to get rid of Pardew - in financial terms, at least. It may well be to the ruination of the club. But that's another matter.

NSS - can you tell us more about the campaign Prague Addick and the e-mail list guys are planning/contemplating? Because I've been thinking increasingly over the last couple of days about how we might recapture the power and passion of the Valley Party days. It was the fans together with people like Roger Alwen and Richard Murray that saved our club back then. May be we have to try to do it all over again...

when i read more details I will let you know,Prague Addicks was a integral part of the valley party,and I would imagine will give it a lot of thought before doing anything.
  • I have it on good authority from a fellow ADU member that Ince did not apply and wasnt approached