Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greedy Bankers

Heard Ian Hollaway on the radio yesterday, reporting on the Man Utd game. He said football was in real trouble because of the financial crisis and blamed everything on all the 'Greedy Bankers'. I almost pissed myself laughing. Football really is in fantasy land, average Prem players like Wayne Bridge on £90K per week, Sunday League Park players like Christensen on £5K pw, over the hill players like Beckham on £250K pw, foreign owners spending money hand over fist on useless no hopers, but all footballs problems are down to greedy bankers. Don't know if he applied for the Charlton job but all of a sudden I was glad we have Parky when people of that calibre were the other supposed candidates!

Comments

• Options
    Excellent !! food for thought Valleyman.
  • Options
    For once, I think the bankers can be relatively free of blame for the absurd state that football has gotten itself into.

Sheer,unmitigated greed and avarice have delivered the game to this point.

Amazing, isn't it, that the most pro-market country in the world, the USA, has salary caps in place in all their sports to ensure a level playing field and the financial viability of their clubs whilst we have nothing at all.

Even here in Oz there as salary caps in NRL and AFL although a salary cap in Europe would be meaningless because Berlusconi and Madrid would completely ignore it.
  • Options
    Ian Holloway was amusing once- 22nd Feb 1998 I think it was. The bloke is an absolute tool and plays the country bumpkin thing too much these days. Funny how only the BBC give him an outlet these days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]For once, I think the bankers can be relatively free of blame for the absurd state that football has gotten itself into.

Sheer,unmitigated greed and avarice have delivered the game to this point.

Amazing, isn't it, that the most pro-market country in the world, the USA, has salary caps in place in all their sports to ensure a level playing field and the financial viability of their clubs whilst we have nothing at all.

Even here in Oz there as salary caps in NRL and AFL although a salary cap in Europe would be meaningless because Berlusconi and Madrid would completely ignore it.

There isn't a salary cap in baseball. The Yankees spend millions more than anyone else does. But what they do have is a tax system whereby teams can spend as much as they want, but will have to pay up if they go over a certain amount every year. Never going to happen in football though because the big clubs would never allow it.
  • Options
    The same Ian Holloway that walked out on a promising Plymouth side to stick the last couple of nails in doomed Leicester's coffin, for a few quid? A man lacking in irony, I'd say.
  • Options
    The luxury tax is a good if flawed approach. Rarely do teams in baseball win the World Series with the biggest wage bill anyway. But if teams do over spend the luxury tax goes into a central pool for the whole of the league.

Although it'll never be allowed to happen a central FA school like La Fontaine could allow a draft pick of it's players for the top two divs. Admittedly we wouldn't get that next year, but any clubs in the second tier could immediately exchange rights with better teams to gain access to their pool of talent. If players had come originally from clubs there could be attached some rights to original clubs. Part ownership of players is rife on the continent and the FA's arbitary rule against this is not based on any evidence or research; not a surprise regarding the patheticness of the FA's approach to corruption compared to that of French, Italian and Spanish judicial systems correct and agressive approach to sport corruption. Maybe part ownership might have earnt us a proper profit on Luke Young.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Ian Holloway was amusing once- 22nd Feb 1998 I think it was. The bloke is an absolute tool and plays the country bumpkin thing too much these days. Funny how only the BBC give him an outlet these days.

Saw him on Setanta as well recently.
  • Options
    There isn't a salary cap in baseball. The Yankees spend millions more than anyone else does. But what they do have is a tax system whereby teams can spend as much as they want, but will have to pay up if they go over a certain amount every year. Never going to happen in football though because the big clubs would never allow it.[/quote]

Yes, you are correct about baseball, apologies.

Wasn't it the fact that the owners were trying to bring in a salary cap a few years back which caused that players strike which meant they had to call off the World Series?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Ian Holloway was amusing once- 22nd Feb 1998 I think it was. The bloke is an absolute tool and plays the country bumpkin thing too much these days. Funny how only the BBC give him an outlet these days.

Saw him on Setanta as well recently.

You and the other 4 subscribers! Says it all really.