Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Countdown to South Africa..

520 days till the 2010 world cup tournamanet kicks off in South Africa, at least we wont have to be up late to watch the matches. Any thoughts on dark horses or who will be in the england 23??

887039_medium.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Anyone thinking of going? I went to Italia 90, France 98 and Germany 06. This one is tempting too, though not sure what the situation will be re tickets and travel.
  • Options
    Me and Miss Sausage have been saving for this for the since July 2005. Not a large sum a month but enough that should pay flights and accommodation for the tournament.

Whether we will go or not is another thing but am collecting points with my englandfans membership.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Me and Miss Sausage have been saving for this for the since July 2005. Not a large sum a month but enough that should pay flights and accommodation for the tournament.

Whether we will go or not is another thing but am collecting points with my englandfans membership.

See you there then!

We normally try and get tickets through the general ballot before the draw has been made, and take pot luck on which matches. Saw England v Argentina in 98 and Brazil v Japan in 06 on the positive side. Have also paid rather a lot for tickets to see the likes of Togo, Austria, Czech Republic, USA, Iran etc etc in the past!
  • Options
    Considering it but all depends on having got myself lined up for a job by September-time... far more likely to get to Euro 2012
  • Options
    Never seen England Abroad & but must admit going to South Africa does nothing for me, unless some Corporate Freebies become available ahem Dad are you on here ? :-)
  • Options
    does it not ketman? South Africa is a country I've always wanted to see but not got round to. So always thought it would be a good opportunity to double it up with a world cup and also hoping that it would be a safer time to travel.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've been to South Africa before -some friends got married in Cape Town a few years ago. It is very beautiful, and in some ways feels more like the States in the more developed/ touristy parts. Then you scratch the surface, and it is definitely Africa! When we were there it seemed very safe. However, politically it's a lot more wobbly now, unfortunately. In fact, I met a South African a few months ago who reckoned it could quickly descend into civil war when Nelsan Mandela dies. I despair for that continent sometimes...
  • Options
    if we dont get out of the grouop stage we can feed the players and Cappelo to the great white sharks..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]does it not ketman? South Africa is a country I've always wanted to see but not got round to. So always thought it would be a good opportunity to double it up with a world cup and also hoping that it would be a safer time to travel.

We think we have it bad with Knives here, over there you just get shot. Some parts are fairly safe according to my Saffy mate who lives there, most is not sadly. I would imagine the Wildlife parks would be amazing if you like that sort of thing, but it's the World Cup, thought England fans went abroad to get loaded, mess around with brasses & have punch ups oh & watch the games :-)
  • Options
    I should be going, will probably give Jberg a miss though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would love to go but sadly i will not be stepping into south africa until they finally release Nelson Mandela. the poor guy must be nearly 90 now and you never see him on the news or read about him in the press, its a disgrace. shame on south africa for forgetting about such a wonderful man...

5.jpg
  • Options
    Recently saw a TV documentry about gang violence and street robbery etc in South Africa...truly frightening stuff of the very highest order...if you think we have trouble here in The UK it's 'nothing' compaired to them...anyone who wants to go out there is without doubt taking something of a highly calculated risk.
    Because of the unparalelled and out of control violence I never thought it was the right place at this moment in time anyway and that documentry simply renforced my major misgivings....I would love to go and indeed almost certainly would have, but these gangs are licking their lips in antisipation at what they will see as easy pickings from the legions of naive and gullible football fans from all corners of the globe...... of that I can assure you.
  • Options
    Yes will be giving jburg a large swerve - well it will be interesting to see what happens when the groups are made. I know nothing re where the matches will be played. In an ideal world i would like to rent a house in Cape Town with a group of friends and use that as a base but may well have to go in with the groups as im sure the englandfans travel will advise.

having said all this we got to qualify first and see if i have to spend my money on other things next year.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Posted By: adamtheaddick:I would love to go but sadly i will not be stepping into south africa until they finally release Nelson Mandela. the poor guy must be nearly 90 now and you never see him on the news or read about him in the press, its a disgrace. shame on south africa for forgetting about such a wonderful man...

Eerrr this is a wind up right, he was released in 1990 and was on stage last year at a pop concert in London.
  • Options
    15 rand to the pound at the moment - it's the one currency that is even weaker than the pound

you can get a top quality meal and wine in Cape Town for about £30 - magic!

off in the summer for honeymoon and hopefully a bit of Lions action
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]Eerrr this is a wind up right, he was released in 1990 and was on stage last year at a pop concert in London.

Dear oh Dear:

tartan-paint.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]15 rand to the pound at the moment - it's the one currency that is even weaker than the pound

you can get a top quality meal and wine in Cape Town for about £30 - magic!

off in the summer for honeymoon and hopefully a bit of Lions action

30 pence for a beer isnt it?? id love to get to cape town all my friends who've been said its beautiful.
  • Options
    Mine & 12th Man's matey has moved back out to Cape Town............guess where we're lining up to go in 2010?????????

Not bothered who I see, just wanna see a game
  • Options
    and here's hoping ROI qualify too... that would be magic eh sis!
  • Options
    two old mates of mine are as Orish as shamrocks and they follow England all over the place Curb-It. I went to Switzerland /Hungary and Norway with em donkeys years ago.

Re RSA be very very careful its like Iraq on a very bad day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Yes will be giving jburg a large swerve - well it will be interesting to see what happens when the groups are made. I know nothing re where the matches will be played.

You might find it difficult to give Joburg a wide berth as there's a total of 15 games being played there between 2 different grounds , every group plays at least one game there . Otherwise its Cape Town , Durban or Nelson Mandela Bay for the next most popular cities for games .

As you say see what the draw brings up though in December
  • Options
    but i would hope to try and not stay in jburg... just fly in and out for a game?

well anyway its a dream i have but whether it turns reality is another thing. See how the year pans out.
  • Options
    Just read that one of the organising committee members has been ambushed and shot dead outside his house in the north of the country. Rumoured to be in connection with corruption concerning the building of a new stadium for the competition. Authorities say there will be 200,000 police available during the competition together with a special new type of water cannon!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]Eerrr this is a wind up right, he was released in 1990 and was on stage last year at a pop concert in London.

Dear oh Dear:

tartan-paint.jpg

I once asked a hotelier for a tartan room. "Sorry mate" he replied, "but we've only got the room".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Just read that one of the organising committee members has been ambushed and shot dead outside his house in the north of the country. Rumoured to be in connection with corruption concerning the building of a new stadium for the competition. Authorities say there will be 200,000 police available during the competition together with a special new type of water cannon!

Well that's fine if you can somehow follow the water cannon around 24/7............yeah great idea that!!