Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice

As some of you know we recently purchased a Staff Puppy, NLJR called him JJ after Jon Jo, we are now entering the 5th night of crying like a baby at night.

And those of you that have been there must know how hard it is to just inore those heart wrenching cries.

We dont like the idea of putting him in a cage at night so we have used baby gates in the galley part of the kitchen and he has his own bed.

can you please list what you did and what worked and how long the crying went on for and i will endeavor to work my way through your suggestions

many thanks

Comments

• Options
    cage mate is the way to go.I would imagine as you bought him from a breeder he was born and raised outside the house.When you go out you can put him in there,without the fear of him chewing everything to death.Also they like it when they want some piece and quiet they just go a lie in there.This was the advice we were given.
  • Options
    Just like human babies puppies are the same...i.e. no two are he same.
    You simply have to be firm and not give in(hard I know)...... it will stop eventualy.
    Giving him a small feed of some kind last thing may help, as once again, like a human, he may simply be waking up hungry.
  • Options
    FatRob said the same NSS but the breeder brought him up in the kitchen gated off like ours is now. It was their dogs first litter so they said they were very soft towards it all.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    do as me and Rob say mate he will get used to it especially if he is left in it during the day when nobody is in,which will then help at night.
  • Options
    Gas Mark 5 for about three hours.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Gas Mark 5 for about three hours.[/quote]

ha ha
  • Options
    get a big teddy or something similar, preferably something with your scent on it, or better yet with his mum's scent on it.

the cage is a good idea - its not cruel at all mate.
  • Options
    It's a common problem for puppies, they're sociable and suddenly they're on their own. Some folks have used a warm ( not hot) hot water bottle in the bedding as the warmth is meant to provide comfort in that it feels as though siblings are still there. Blanket with scent is a good idea as well. He will adjust once he understands that you will be there every morning. He's just young and lonely. Took my pup about two weeks but he would still sneak upstairs given half a chance. Is the kitchen cold at night and do you have a wrap around bed?
  • Options
    we just gave in and now our dog(who is about the size of a handbag) sleeps on the bed with us....
  • Options
    it is colder in the kitchen but not by much, he has a bed in there i am not sure if it is a wrap round bed. Put the hotish water bottle in the bed last night and that did calm him a bit but from 2am howwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wear ear plugs?

Sorry, I'm not experienced in this matter...
  • Options
    As it's 2am, he may be hungry cos he's used to little and often on demand off Mum. If you reduce the size of his other meals and put out some food before you go to bed, he may eat and go back to sleep. Bluddy kids!
  • Options
    cage all day long - they are crafty sods dogs especially Staffs as well. Plus in the cage he can't chew stuff which he will when he is bored.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Gas Mark 5 for about three hours.

lol you from Vietnam...

I found the little and often food choice works best.
    (we had a colly though so may be different with a staff)
  • Options
    When I had my staffy pup he was exactly the same. Tried the hot water bottle, cuddly toy and clock wrapped up in a towel (supposed to remind them of their mum's heartbeat). It did make him settle much more but until he realises you are going to come back he will fret. The best thing you can do is leave him for 10 mins at a time, then 20, then half an hour and so on until he realises then when you are out of sight doesn't mean you wont return. Obviously make a big fuss of him when you get back. He will settle down, it's just insecurity at the moment.
  • Options
    after SIX months of howling the mrs gave in and let ours upstairs, he now sleeps under the bed but jumps up into my place as soon as i get up each morning.

I would defo sit it out and eventualy the dog will get used to it, ours didnt but that was probably because the mrs was standing at the top of the stairs listening to him.

Good luck and NO SURRENDER !!!
  • Options
    Drop of warm milk before he goes to bed, and dont give into him or you will be making a rod for your back.

As someone who had to replace his kitchen because of a bored border collie, I can highly recommend going for the crate. Do it early so that he gets used to it as a puppy, more difficult to introduce the crate if he gets older and starts chewing.....