Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Petersen Quits as Captain of England Ketman!

MCSMCS
edited January 2009 in Other Football and Sports
Breaking news!! What is going on!!??

Comments

• Options
    Doesn't deserve to be captain anyway. He is NOT English.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Doesn't deserve to be captain anyway. He is NOT English.
    Well Strauss will get the captaincy and neither is he...
  • Options
    Oh brother - English cricket implodes just as we have the best chance in years to give the convicts a good shoeing.
  • Options
    Bad news, Moores has to go, then get Ford in and hopefully persuade KP to play again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Doesn't deserve to be captain anyway. He is NOT English.

Give it back to Flintoff B-)

Really enjoyed watching the England test matches on Channel 4. The ECB really ballsed it up by giving everything to Sky.
  • Options
    Nor were Tony Gregg or Mike Dennes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Give it back to Flintoff B-)

Really enjoyed watching the England test matches on Channel 4. The ECB really ballsed it up by giving everything to Sky.

The fact that Sky don't cut away half way through a session to go to horse racing is enough of a reason to move it off Channel 4
  • Options
    rob key as captain
  • Options
    Bit harsh on Strauss, he is much more English than KP.

Anyway, this news is unconfirmed from what I can see.
  • Options
    It is ormy, sky sports website!! I heard it as breaking news on the radio news on xfm!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parky for Skipper?
  • Options
    Listening to Mike Parry & Jack Bannister arguing about it this morning on the Radio was actually more entertaining than watching the National Team :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Great batsman but good riddance to him as skipper. What would happen if Hudson demanded the removal of Parky as manager? He (Hudson) would be sacked, not Parky - and quite rightly so. When a manager/coach loses the dressing room, it is time to go, but the captain cannot issue ultimatums like that, especally when they become public knowledge.

KP has an appalling track record and never should have been made England captain in the first place. He walked out on South Africa because he didn't lke their selection policy, which was trying to create a level playing field for non-white players (and has since paid dividends with the emergence of Ashwell Prince, Duminy, Amla etc). He fell out badly with everyone at his first English county, Notts, because of his uncontrollable ego. And now this. Plus, as he proved in December in the two Test seres v India, he is a tactically inept captain.

We need his runs, batting at number four. But we do not need him as captain , so a good news day for English cricket in my book. And I hope Moores keeps the job (although suspect he will end up going as well...)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Bad news, Moores has to go, then get Ford in and hopefully persuade KP to play again.

He's resigned as captain, surely that doesn't mean he's retired from international cricket? He'd be the first name on the team sheet
  • Options
    Still not confirmed on the BBC or ECB websites....

If he has resigned then that is a major feck-up on his behalf because he can then never be the skipper again.
  • Options
    The team has played better under KP, but he is a gobshite (as most people brought up in South Africa are) and he lost the battle with the blazers.

Still the most talented batsman to play in a England shirt for 20 years
  • Options
    As long as he's still playing I'm all for it, not a good record as a captain.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hard to see how the team has played better under KP, Rothko. We've just lost a Test seres in India and we lost the one day series there 5-0 !

And I wouldn't see KP's downfall as captain as a battle with ''the blazers'' , either. Those days are gone in English cricket. Moores is very much a track suit, not a blazer and although there's still a slightly patrician air to Giles Clarke at the ECB, he's more of a hard-headed business suit than a blazer...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Bad news, Moores has to go, then get Ford in and hopefully persuade KP to play again.

He's resigned as captain, surely that doesn't mean he's retired from international cricket? He'd be the first name on the team sheet

He strikes me as the kind of player to have a sulk up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    "He strikes me as the kind of player to have a sulk up."

CHG, that is now the real issue because he's a great batsman but a bad egg and if Strauss takes over as captain , he's going to have to work very hard at stopping a poisonous attitude from KP infecting the rest of the team.

Don't think it wll affect KP's batting: he's so bloody-minded he'll probably pile up even more runs than ever, just to show we can't do without him. What it does to team spirit is another matter.
  • Options
    According to the ECB a large number of the players sided with Moores over the situation. By all accounts we can include Flintoff and Harmy in that camp.

So, the job of the new Captain will be to re-unite the team and as Strauss is pretty damn neutral in that respect I suspect he will be the one appointed. The only issue will be if he has a dramatic loss of form (as he has done before) but, as long as he's averaging mid to late 30's and is "Brearleyesque" in his tactics he'll do OK.
  • Options
    Moores has quit as well.
  • Options
    lol - and we think we have issues at the top!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Andy Flower as interim coach and Strauss 2/1 on Fav to be new England Captain.
  • Options
    I dont know poop all about cricket but i have watched and Listend to KP with an open mind and no biase towards or agin him and imo he makes a sound captain and is extreemly talented as a cricketer.

I dont often agree with Parry but that was hillarious this morning, and there is an elemant of truth in the ECB and reporters of cricket all being a bit to Stiff and stale and couldnt handle KP which is why we will alweays be Poop at cricket
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited January 2009
    I am glad Moores has gone, get Ford in, he has a very good relationship with KP, we need to get the best out of our key players and we need everybody to be unified.
  • Options
    But speaking purely selfishly here as a Kent member, we need Graham Ford at Canterbury!
  • Options
    I thought the performances in the tests under KP have been good, we're just shite at one day stuff.

He's the best player we've got, but if he gets a cob on for the summer, and decides to smash the convicts all over the country for the ashes, then get KP in a sulk
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ''if he gets a cob on for the summer, and decides to smash the convicts all over the country for the ashes, then get KP in a sulk'' - I like that, Rothko! And from everything we know about his character, it's very possible. A KP wth his pride wounded quite probably scores even more runs than when he's top rooster, just to stick it in everybody's faces. And as, you say, if those faces belong to Ricky Ponting's convicts,so much the better!