Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kris Boyd

I know there's a few Rangers fans on here so wondered what the views were on the reports he's about to sign for Birmingham.

There are 3 points for me:

1. I can't believe Rangers would want to sell him
2. I know Scottish football isn't that great but surely the most prolific scorer up there in the past few years can do better than Birmingham
3. It surely means the end of any Rangers title hopes

Comments

• Options
    Knows the Birmingham manager, played under him for Scotland.

Thinks he has a decent chance of playing in the Prem next season.
  • Options
    Brum now have a surplus of strikers, Bent to return ?? Would be decent in League 1.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Brum now have a surplus of strikers, Bent to return ?? Would be decent in League 1.[/quote]

nnooo, dont think he'll take a drop in wages to 500 quid a week anyway
  • Options
    Bent.....?

Can only score in a brothel.
    Stinking attitude. No
  • Options
    Who was it on here that pretty much guaranteed M Bent was worth 20 goals a season in this division?
  • Options
    He's not commanded a regular place because he's a striker that both his club and international manager reckon his overall game isn't good enough, despite his presence and ability to consistently hit the back of the net. In both cases the alternatives have failed to match is strike rate. Doesn't seem logical, but it's a similar situation to Dickson, at a lower level.

Suspect it is more a case of

1. Good player not playing as often as you'd thing
    2. Former manager in a club with money to spend
    3. Not as much transfer speculation as the papers would hope for
    4. 2 + 2 = 5

It's a bit like when Bryan Robson washed up at Sheff U. The papers speculated that he'd be in for Koumas, but they'd not actually bothered to research the fact that they'd had a massive falling out at WBA and he'd been put on the transfer list by Robson, so it was unlikely that he'd be the first name in his shopping list. I think that although McLeish signed him they weren't at Ibrox together for long and he's got a lot of expensive strikers at his disposal at the moment, so I reckon there's not much to this.
  • Options
    rangers are up shit creek money wise and every player has been made available for sale - got sod all to do with Boyd's ability - if it was he'd be staying because he is a goal machine and will smash in loads in this league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]He's not commanded a regular place because he's a striker that both his club and international manager reckon his overall game isn't good enough, despite his presence and ability to consistently hit the back of the net. In both cases the alternatives have failed to match is strike rate. Doesn't seem logical, but it's a similar situation to Dickson, at a lower level.

Suspect it is more a case of

1. Good player not playing as often as you'd thing
    2. Former manager in a club with money to spend
    3. Not as much transfer speculation as the papers would hope for
    4. 2 + 2 = 5

It's a bit like when Bryan Robson washed up at Sheff U. The papers speculated that he'd be in for Koumas, but they'd not actually bothered to research the fact that they'd had a massive falling out at WBA and he'd been put on the transfer list by Robson, so it was unlikely that he'd be the first name in his shopping list. I think that although McLeish signed him they weren't at Ibrox together for long and he's got a lot of expensive strikers at his disposal at the moment, so I reckon there's not much to this.

He has been a regular this season though. Of Rangers 21 league games, he's started 18 and scored 19 goals. In 96 league games he's got 70 goals for them. I know it's Scotland but thats a great record at any level.

And it is definitely true.
    Ibrox chairman Sir David Murray told BBC Scotland: "Birmingham have made an enquiry. We talked about money but we haven't agreed a fee and no business will be done today. We rejected a bid of around £3million but if they improve it, we'll allow them to speak to Kris Boyd"

I'm absolutely amazed they're selling him.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Rangers are up shit creek money wise and every player has been made available for sale - got sod all to do with Boyd's ability - if it was he'd be staying because he is a goal machine and will smash in loads in this league.

Agree with Ledge, think it is a money thing. Bougheera is being touted around as well. One thing that did suprise me was Colchester trailing Hibs' Rob Jones. Apparently one of the best centre-half's in the SPL on his way to League 1.
  • Options
    Must be the cash, Chris. I guess their model isn't sustainable without Europe.

That was a shitload of typing for a completely incorrect theory.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Fact that Rangers & Celtic have been signing the equivalent of Championship players for the last couple of years tells it's own story. The lack of TV money for the Scottish clubs is on a par with the Championship Clubs, despite both Celtic & Rangers getting 60,000 & 50,000 respectively week in week out they are as skint as Charlton & Palace are. Celtic have generated a bit of money through Champions League but always go out first round anyway. Rangers got to the Uefa Final last season & made a loss in Europe which is incredible. meanwhile great European teams like Fulham & wigan get £40M plus per season in the Premier League which is staggering.
  • Options
    would celtic and rangers compete in the prem? i few years ago i would have said yes but as Kets said i think they would be championship top 8 club at best..
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] Rangers got to the Uefa Final last season & made a loss in Europe which is incredible.

Seriously? Surely through a sell out at every home game they'd make money, tv showing their games in later rounds, prize money. How can you lose money?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Rangers got to the Uefa Final last season & made a loss in Europe which is incredible.

Seriously? Surely through a sell out at every home game they'd make money, tv showing their games in later rounds, prize money. How can you lose money?

Heard it through someone who used to play for them & is in touch with Staff at Rangers, TV Money is derisory if that's the correct term. They make more money through Shirt Sales per season than TV rights.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]would celtic and rangers compete in the prem? i few years ago i would have said yes but as Kets said i think they would be championship top 8 club at best..

In the Prem they would get an extra £30m before a ball was kicked, all their sponsorship deals would go up as well. They wouldn't be in Europe every year but after a few years of Prem money they would compete no problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Who was it on here that pretty much guaranteed M Bent was worth 20 goals a season in this division?

i think you may be referring to me, not one of my better predictions though in no way did i guarauntee it.
    in fact straight after i posted it, you posted that "pace is the key. watch luke varney score 15-20 goals this season"

this seasons record's are bent 2 goals in 11 starts, varney 3 goals in 22 starts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]In the Prem they would get an extra £30m before a ball was kicked, all their sponsorship deals would go up as well. They wouldn't be in Europe every year but after a few years of Prem money they would compete no problem.

i was thinking as they are now H, not with the 30mil prem cash, christ even we would do ok with that sort of wedge.. chuckled me when celtic signed players like Paul Telfer.. celtic are close to my heart so have a keen interest in them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]would celtic and rangers compete in the prem? i few years ago i would have said yes but as Kets said i think they would be championship top 8 club at best..

Yeah, Championship clubs regularly get to the UEFA cup final....
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Rangers got to the Uefa Final last season & made a loss in Europe which is incredible.

Heard it through someone who used to play for them & is in touch with Staff at Rangers, TV Money is derisory if that's the correct term. They make more money through Shirt Sales per season than TV rights.

Yeah i've no doubt the TV money each season for the Scottish league is derisory but we're talking about Europe so anything they make from European matchdays, tv money they will have got and prize money for making the final is all extra to the league campaign.
    I fail to see how they'd make a loss unless their players had a ridiculous bonus scheme for going that far in the competition.
  • Options
    Barry Ferguson also going, going...