Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Million Dollar Traders

DA9DA9
edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
Really enjoyed it last night, anyone else think they are over egging the pudding and the drama and anxiety, if they think reading newspapers and placing phone calls is stressful, god help us.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, watched it last night and thought they were really playing on it but hey, I don't know.

The poor old guy was so out of his depth.

"Can I buy 800 please"

"Done"

"Oh no, I meant sell"

"Too late now you have bought them"

"Can I sell 1600 then please"

"You sure?"

"Yes"

Poor sod.
  • Options
    so he had to either sell or buy and he got it wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f**k me sounds like a real banker
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Any wonder the banking industry is going down the pan?
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited January 2009
    Seemed some of them were getting paid to sit around and read papers, the ex army guy did bugger all, then when he did he acted as though he was a pro and he knew the "buzz" words, and then made a cock up.

Colin, the old guy, seriously out of his comfort zone, and as for Cleo, gives it the large one about being an independent, strong woman blah blah blah, girl power, then starts crying..lol
  • Options
    didnt watch it closely, wasn't real money was it?
  • Options
    does anyone know when its repeated ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]didnt watch it closely, wasn't real money was it?

It was real money, some top trader who is a multi millionaire etc, but no doubt the BBC and licence payers are covering any losses.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]does anyone know when its repeated ?

Its a series, you can watch online on BBCi player MDT
  • Options
    hmm how much was the pot then? the bosses seemed very fake to me..
  • Options
    its kosher the guy was on radio last night talking about it. it is one guys wedge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Initially they got £25k each to invest
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]hmm how much was the pot then? the bosses seemed very fake to me..
    It was £200,000 between them initially with maximum spend limited to £5,000 i think.

They are however getting £1,000,000 to spend between them later in the series and then bag a bonus depending on how they do. The fella (Lex Van Dam) is putting the cash up.
  • Options
    cripes...
  • Options
    nice exposition on how speculation makes our system so unstable
  • Options
    It just came across as gambling and hunches to me.
  • Options
    It does show that you do have to know something about shares and martkets in general.

I watched it avidly as I have been in the financial industry all my working life and would love to have had the chance to "gamble" with somebody's else's money.

Old guy spent ages reading the FT and so on and decided to buy B Gas shares at around 1230p - only to see them fall straighaway to around 1150p..........only doownside for me was that there was a sop-loss mrker in place & ther automatically sold his position to cutr his losses. It would have made great telly to see it keep falling.

Also the tw*ts all decided to get into banks at the same time as they thought with the government bail out all the shares would go up and didn't hedge agaisnt some going down
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]

Also the tw*ts all decided to get into banks at the same time as they thought with the government bail out all the shares would go up and didn't hedge agaisnt some going down

That would be an each way bet then, see.....its like gambling lol
  • Options
    And this is where Bing comes in and explains the difference between gambling and risk
  • Options
    But the term hedging must come from hedging your bets surely?
  • Options
    I was in shock that the guy thats helping them retired at 26 because he was already a millionaire!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back on tonight people, 9PM BBC2, must see TV
  • Options
    I liked the Dutch (or SA) guy

Sho, one has the shit for brainsh and anosher is crying? Great!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I liked the Dutch (or SA) guy

Sho, one has the shit for brainsh and anosher is crying? Great!

Sounded like a Steve Mclaren interview!
  • Options
    Does anyone know what happended to this programme ? I thought it was a 6 week series or something but not seen it on for the last few weeks
  • Options
    only a 3 week series

to sum up though - nobody did particularly well and none of them have continued with it