Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old fashioned record shops

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Used to have Cruisin and OK records in Welling.

TW records (Don't forget to ask for your 10% discount) in Plumstead, Erith and Bexleyheath.

There used to be a record shop in Woolwich in Thomas Street where the Afro hairdressers are now (well they were 5 years ago!)

Just don't get the same buzz when browsing Play or HMV online - Nothing like flicking through hundreds of LP's just to see if there really is a gem amongst all the crap.
    Crusin is still there. I remember Ajax which went on to be OK Records. We bought our first games console at Ajax - the old orange and black Binatone effort that had the mono 'pong' type games!!

I used to have one of those, with the Gun as well - Saw one in a store window in Camden Passage (Islington) last - £500!!!! Mint!!! Going to raid my Mum's loft at the weekend!
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]No mention of Mobi Deques (sp?) in Charlton Village? For shame.

Essential Music in Greenwich is missed, as is Morps in Lewisham.

Mobi-Deques - Blimey - I forgot about them. Used to work in Charlton House, so it was a regular haunt each week.
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]That was it TW records just up past Georgie Lambs next to theat old cafe with huge steam machine.............good days still one down in Gravesend.......

Where???????
  • Options
    Glad Miserbale-old mentioned Bonapartes in Bromley Market Square. Anne Clarke used to work there...

walked past it today. Now it's a Supasnaps shop..
  • Options
    I also used to work at Bonapartes in Bromley,also worked at Bonapartes in King's cross.

Record shops are becoming harder to find in the u.k.,i now buy most of my vinyl and cd's from japan.
  • Options
    At the risk of showing my age, there used to be a shop in Bexleyheath broadway called Coles. You could stand in a booth with headphones on, and listen to a record you were thinking of buying. Early sixties i reckon.
  • Options
    What is this "rec-ord" item you talk about ?
  • Options
    Greenwich market is a good place for old vinyl in good condition.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite]Riscardo, are you trying to tell me the name of the school I went to... ? Comprehensive tell 1972 . It was an exceedingly crap school, hence a record shop giving a far superior education !
    Actually yes ;)

Erith School was a secondary modern up until the mid 70's then became a bilateral school.

A comprehensive school does not select children on the basis of academic achievement or aptitude. However Bexley had the 11 plus so they do ...

But anyway you cant beat the sound of the vinyl
  • Options
    "Erith School was a secondary modern up until the mid 70's then became a bilateral school."

Does that mean they teach in two languages then!
  • Options
    Talking of vinyl, has anyone on here got a copy of "The Red Red Robin" by 70s teddy boy band, Vernon and the G.I.s?
  • Options
    [
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]That was it TW records just up past Georgie Lambs next to theat old cafe with huge steam machine.............good days still one down in Gravesend.......

Where???????[/quote]

I think he means the steam machine is still there, TW's never had a shop in Gravesend. They had one in Longfield for a while and finally closed their doors in Plumstead and Erith 4-5 years ago.

As for the Erith school conundrum, in the beginning there was Brook st (secondary modern) and Avenue Rd (Erith Grammar) which merged in 1972 to become Erith school which was a comprehensive. It was spread across the two sites until about 10 years ago when they put houses on the Brook St site. They haven't got round to putting a statue of me up yet, I suspect Jimmy Bullard would get the plinth now. Keith Peacock went to the Grammar school, he used to pop in and say hello to a few people he knew in the office there when I was there years later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]I used to have one of those, with the Gun as well - Saw one in a store window in Camden Passage (Islington) last - £500!!!! Mint!!! Going to raid my Mum's loft at the weekend!
    Jeez how much?!!!! We never had the gun - you lucky sod!
  • Options
    Spoke to her last night and she chucked it out a couple of years ago!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gutted! As was a bloke who works with me who had the little wheel/accelerator type control
  • Options
    Algarve;
    Yep, somewhere.
    I'll look for it later.
    Why ?
  • Options
    V. Rare apparently P. According to the aforementioned Steve at Rollin Records sells from £150 to £200 in Europe!
  • Options
    Touch !!
  • Options
    Yeah, apparently the dodgy French teds (the ones who look like cartoon characters) love a bit of old Vern. Stick it on e-bay and see what happens, or contact Steve and see if he knows anyone who is after it?
  • Options
    Berwick Street & Soho in general were great places to get music, & at cheaper prices!

I think Selectadisc is still Selectadisc. I was up there 6-7 months ago & it was the same as it had always been. Sister Ray was still at its location(next to the Record & Tape Exchange) but had closed down.
    Mr Cd, another ace, all-be-it CD only-duurr:-) music shop on Berwick Street, the aforementioned R&T Exchange, Reckless + a fair few other odd little ones, dotted up & down that street over the years, have provided me with some great music & memories! They, or most will all be gone soon, if not already, sadly. :-(

The very same with the Croydon shops, Beanos, from its little old location on Surrey Street, to its multi-floored/fronted empire round the corner. They had some great characters working in there!
    101 Records was another. From its location next to ye olde East Croydon St'n, to its move to the back of the Drummond Centre.
    Shatterproof Records occupied the derelict looking area around Reeves Corner & provided ace Underground UK, US & global 'Punk', 'Hardcore', 'Post-Hardcore', 'Noise', 'Lo-Fi' & 'Emo' genres of music. ('Emo' back then was purely a term for a punk genre derivative, not fashion, fashionable & certainly not the faux-goth cobblers that its presented as today.)

Other sources of music in Croydon were in the 'In-Shops', which had an indoor Arcade/Market shop format & a great source of computer games, videos, music, sweets, clothes, jewellery & knock-off aftershaves, & you could trade your things too! Another shop(forget the name) that sat between the main stretch of Croydon High Street & the back of the Drummond Centre was another for a few years, & a big shop called 'Thats Entertainment' which sat at the end of Surrey St' Market.

I also frequented (& briefly worked) in a 'CD Warehouse' shop in Wimbledon, that was good for musical bargains. Used to be pretty, to very busy most days, but that died a year or so back now.

Grand memories! I love having the different old formats. Online music is handy, & cheap, but lacks the 'art' that goes into the whole package of music & visual elements as a presentation of a band. Generation to Generation, this will change though as the online world takes over.

Not a big fan of the Ipod shuffle though, encourages people to go for 'choonz' instead of listening to albums. I say that as a massive music lover, & also as I'm in a band & we are recording an album.:-)

I will certainly miss it when the shops cease to trade.