Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have Springsteen and Obama nicked our national anthem?

Watching the inauguration, did anyone else think that song 'The Rising' seems to bear a very strong resemblance in places to 'God Save the Queen'?

Comments

• Options
    Same tune, been around for years.
  • Options
    The Rising is nothing like God save the Queen. You are thinkiing of another song the yankies sang
  • Options
    if you were watching bbc news at 6.30 they said it was The Boss but it was in fact aretha franklin!
  • Options
    There was one point in the speech where I wondered why he was talking about prune juice. Then I realised he was actually saying 'prudent use' !
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: kentred2[/cite]if you were watching bbc news at 6.30 they said it was The Boss but it was in fact aretha franklin!

Easy mix up to make. Not.

The Colonials sing the following to the same tune

My country,' tis of thee,
    sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing;
    land where my fathers died,
    land of the pilgrims' pride,
    from every mountainside
    let freedom ring
  • Options
    I thought they'd nicked the tune to GSTQ.
  • Options
    The Queen nicked the tune to God Save the King, don't yer know .... ?

;o)
  • Options
    I think there are several versions in use around the world, I think Lichtenstein also use the same tune, but obviously have different words.
  • Options
    Also Norway...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kentred2[/cite]if you were watching bbc news at 6.30 they said it was The Boss but it was in fact aretha franklin!

I think they said it was a Springsteen song.

Maybe he wrote the words...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Decidedly not a Springsteen tune! Aretha sang "My Country 'tis of Thee" as noted by Henry above, and you'll see that it was in fact "derived from" God Save the Queen in (I think) the 1830s. A particularly appropriate choice, given its prominent citation in Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech...

And Springsteen sang the Rising at the Lincoln Memorial a night or two ago, rather than today.
  • Options
    Sounds revolutionary ...