Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Waggott: Gamble was worth the risk

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
http://www.gravesendreporter.co.uk/content/Charlton_Football_Club/story.aspx?brand=GVSROnline&category=CharltonFootball&tBrand=GVSROnline&tCategory=CharltonFootball&itemid=WeED21%20Jan%202009%2016%3A20%3A51%3A137

Comments

• Options
    Why doesn't someone from the board apologize to the fans who spent their hard earned money on season tickets etc and are now watching this embarrassment of a club?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2009
    Why don't the players and management apologise to the board who have spent their hard earned money on wages, facilities and trips away and now making us an embarrassment of a football team?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Why doesn't someone from the board apologize to the fans who spent their hard earned money on season tickets etc and are now watching this embarrassment of a club?

Personally I think they should all commit suicide by jumping off the West Stand roof just before a game. I'm sure that will satisfy everyone
  • Options
    No. A simple apology will do!
  • Options
    "Personally I think they should all commit suicide by jumping off the West Stand roof just before a game. I'm sure that will satisfy everyone " said Henners.

As long as its after May 'cos they wont have the Parachute payments!!

Its OK I'm going.
  • Options
    Nice to know that the board were aiming for 10th spot this season,no wonder they offered a free season ticket if we went up, he has proven they had no intention of getting there.......
  • Options
    That was just plane funny, Bibbs - as we face the big drop
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes, I wondered about Steve Waggott's claim that at the start of the season the club expected to finish around tenth.

I seem to remember Richard Murray saying at the end of the previous season when we were eleventh that it simply wasn't good enough and that there had to be an improvement this season. Didn't realise the ambition was to finish just a single place higher...

At the start of the season, I confess my eyes were firmly set on a play-off place, or better. What about other people?
  • Options
    He says "We decided that - after seven years in the Premier League - we wanted to get straight back, so we went out and invested what we thought was needed.

Took in over £20M in sales, and spent about half of that on building up a dwindling squad, then told us it was good business selling Andy Reid when we were still in in a play off spot ...

What gamble?
  • Options
    "I think we were expecting to finish at least 10th, if not higher,"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As Charlton fans we have been spoilt, we had a top draw CEO in Varney, as my wife reminds every now and then you dont know what you got till its gone, i used to scratch my head and wonder why Celtic and Villa went after Varney it has now become apparent why. He had a structure, knew what he was doing, would not be bullied into things from the bigger clubs, was a fan, had the club at heart, and lets face it he knew it was all going bellie up and thats why he left when he did, and can we blame him?

For a CEO to turn round and say that the aim was to finish 10th is a disgrace, and if we stay, and notice the word if, it shows how much faith he has in the club, and players.
  • Options
    Waggott, though, says they remain a more than attractive proposition to prospective buyers.
    "We are free from the Premier League and any investor would be buying potential," he said.

So that's the master plan?...We're going to give prospective buyers more potential by getting relegated to League 1...
  • Options
    I think a lot of you are being unfair.

He is commenting on a period when he was not working at the club, we should remember that. We know full well the expectation last season was play-offs minimum, so ignore the bit in relation to tenth.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]He says "We decided that - after seven years in the Premier League - we wanted to get straight back, so we went out and invested what we thought was needed.

Took in over £20M in sales, and spent about half of that on building up a dwindling squad, then told us it was good business selling Andy Reid when we were still in in a play off spot ...

What gamble?

Joe, a little birdie told me that Pardew wanted to sell Reid. i.e the Board acted on his recommendation.
  • Options
    I tend to be in they "why bash Waggott" camp. He may be no Peter Varney but I'm sure he's working his a*se off try to make things happen when much of what has gone on was off his watch. It can't be easy.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Joe, a little birdie told me that Pardew wanted to sell Reid. i.e the Board acted on his recommendation.

That's a first...Manager approaches board and asks if he can sell his best player....
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Joe, a little birdie told me that Pardew wanted to sell Reid. i.e the Board acted on his recommendation.

That's a first...Manager approaches board and asks if he can sell his best player....

I'm not saying it in those terms, I heard from a pretty impeccable source that the Board would not have sold him unless this was what the manager wanted. So he clearly decided it was a gamble worth taking to get other players in in January, it wasn't the Board who gambled. We, of course know who they were. The main one was Gray!! Then Halford and some other loanees.

That is different position to what most believe that the Board forced Pardew to sell him.

Now maybe it was a case of

Pardew "I want to bring in some new players".
    Board "well you've got a big squad, therefore we will only agree to bring in new players if you sell somebody, who do you want to sell?"
    Pardew " Well Reids the one they're after"
    Board "Do you want to sell him then?"
    Pardew " Well only if there's no alternative"
    Board " There is no alternative but it's up to you, he can stay if you don't want to bring anybody else in"
    Pardew "OK lets sell Reid"

The point is Pardew had a big squad and he made the choice to add to it by selling Reid.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Now maybe it was a case of

Pardew "I don't want to sell Reid, but I do want to bring in some new players".
    Board "well you've got a big squad, therefore we will only agree to bring in new players if you sell somebody, who do you want to sell?"
    Pardew " Well Reids the one they're after"
    Board "Do you want to sell him then?"
    Pardew " Well only if there's no alternative"
    Board " There is no alternative but it's up to you, he can stay if you don't want to bring anybody else in"
    Pardew "OK lets sell Reid"

The point is Pardew had a big squad and he made the choice to add to it by selling Reid.
    That is very plausible Bing.
  • Options
    Not every consideration in the Reid sale has fully come to light, not that it matters now. Its gone, in the past, and whether it was the right or wrong thing to do will differ whoever you ask.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also read on here. from the last fans meeting with Murray, that Reid tripled his wages by leaving...
    If that was the case, they would never had matched it to keep him...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And didn't sunderland approach us,rather than us looking 4 a buyer/
  • Options
    It was widely understood that Reid had an agreement with Pardew that he could leave at the end of the 2007-8 season if we weren't promoted and a Premier club came in for him, but somehow the sale ended up getting brought forward several months when we were still in with a shout.

Pardew is on the record saying various things about the sale.

He has several times claimed that he tried to keep him (''I tried to make it clear Andy wasn't for sale, but it snowballed..." Feb 2008)

He was then reported on the OS in April 2008 regretting having to "move players on for financial reasons'' - and the two names he cited were Darren Bent and Andy Reid.

Then in his final press conference just before he was sacked this season, he seemed to blame Reid's departure for our failure to get promoted (‘The loss of Andy Reid midway through last season had an effect on the players and we missed out on the play-offs. This season we’ve not been able to strengthen as much as we would have liked.")

So if he was the one who initiated the Reid sale, as Bing suggests, he's got a bit of a nerve. But then I guess we knew that !
  • Options
    At the end of the day this was about the management of resources and Pardew had a big budget (for a Championship club). It may well be that Reid was offered a huge salary increase, it may well be that Pardew didn't really want to sell him but was faced with a dilemma? All I was saying is that from what I heard, it was he who made the judgement call for him to leave and not the Board. I'm sure the Board were happy to pocket the money for Reid (less the payouts) but I believe they would have waited until the summer had the manager not made that call.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but thi is utter bollox ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]I'm sorry but thi is utter bollox ...

What is?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]I'm sorry but thi is utter bollox ...

Yeah...what is....which post or posts are bollox?
  • Options
    You cant please all of the people all of the time.....people have complained that no info is coming out of the club at the moment and as soon as somebody does make any statements they get battered.....guys, what do we want.....stone wall silence or some explanantion as to whats happening?

This is a very testing time for us.....Its difficult to raise any subject on any of the forums thats going to unite us as fans......nothing like a battling performance and a few wins would anyway. I, like many of us, have been really digging deep to try and find a way to unite us and somehow will this team of frankly woeful players to get going. We seemingly make one mistake after another and I share eveyones frustration. Somehow, and I really cant put my finger on any workable solution, we as fans have to stick together and somehow collectively try and lift this dark cloud that is hovering over the Valley. Some have voiced direct action....guys....you know we arent that sort of club, and any demonstration outside the West Stand will be quite pitiful and ill attended, so if you want us to look even more pathetic, then go ahead. The only thing that I know at this moment in time is that we have a very important local Derby next week.....we need to make the Valley more intimidating than its been for years...forget the bullshit season we are enduring and all our missgivings with the board, management and playing staff....and get behind that shirt! Lets get some pride back...we are Charlton...lets not go out with a whimper.
  • Options
    Well said Tel. Too soon to throw in the towel. One good win could completely change things, and what better way to kick start our season than a win against Palarse.
  • Options
    Great post, Tel Said it much better than I could.

It's our game, our day to build up a humdinger intimidating atmosphere.
    If we choose.

It would help lift the black cloud, and we'd have a great night.
    You never know it might work in our favour - and we'd nick the result.

But if we concede first, you know the boos will ring out.
    The blame culture vultures will hunt their scapegoats.
    And our leaderless team's heads will drop.

And we'll be well beaten.

It all goes hand in hand.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Waggots not said anything wrong there really....he has a very hard job in following PV and I think in the current climate the knives are out for him even before we know much about him.
    He may or may not prove to be successful, let's give the guy a break FFS guys and gals, he's bound to say the odd thing here and there that's going to be somewhat controversial.... in all honesty he's inherited a pup....and be fair, the playing and coaching staff are making life very very difficult for everyone at The Valley at present.
    Speaking for myself I try not to take a lot of notice (well nowhere near as much as the playing side that is) of the admin staff unless it's something that they do which involves me personaly....and let's face it, that's what he really is (admin) despite his job description and albeit the one at the top of the tree.
    A tough tough tough time for ALL concerned with CAFC!