Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mike Flanagan wants to come back as first team coach

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Legend wants Charlton coaching role

CHARLTON legend Mike Flanagan has revealed that he would love to take up his old position as first-team coach at The Valley - and says he is confident he would help the Addicks beat the drop.

The 53-year-old - perhaps best known for being sent off for fighting with strike partner Derek Hales in an FA Cup clash with Maidstone in 1979 - believes he could make a difference if invited back to help the club in their hour of need.

“I want my old position back,” Flanagan told the South London Press. “I would love to go in there and help the club out. They need to stay in the Championship - I have played in the third tier and it is not somewhere they want to be.

“There are 18 games left of the season and there are plenty of points still to be won. I have seen them play this year and I know the side have much more potential than they are currently showing. It would be great to help Phil Parkinson try to sort things out."

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=2643&headline=Legend

I doubt we'll bring any new coaching staff in, can we afford to?

Comments

• Options
    Lets have a whip round....we need any help we can get
  • Options
    Player/Coach? we're a bit short up front! Probably still do as good a job as Burton even at 53.
  • Options
    he could help with the finishing.

although would prefer to get Sir Clive in then they could learn from the master
  • Options
    why not get him in

cant get any worse can it ?
  • Options
    Blimey, Flash is 53. Not that much older than me.
  • Options
    or me.....gulp
  • Options
    He seems to have lost a couple of years in age since he played for us!
  • Options
    Not more ex-Palace please ; - )
  • Options
    Make sure he keeps clear this time of local radio
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Make sure he keeps clear this time of local radio

I blame BDL for him leaving last time : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree Henry, he was stitched up there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Blimey, Flash is 53. Not that much older than me.

Don't .......!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not more ex-Palace please ; - )

Ex-Spud as well.

That's destroyed a leg end.

;o)
  • Options
    http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=23098&page=1#Item_7

I think he read this!
  • Options
    Not just ex Palace but ex Spurs as well.

Well head over heart, it would depend on what he had to offer, given his time out of the game.
    Heart over head, in the words of King Kev, "I'd love it!!"

As the other thread suggests, bring back Killer as well and see if these two can get our forwards to get a bit more punch into their game.....:o)
  • Options
    Didn't he manage the Jills too? Bloody rubbish, hasn't got an ounce of Charlton in his heart ;-)
  • Options
    I thought he was in the swimming pool business these days
  • Options
    He's fat he's round, he's not worht a pound
    Flannagan, Flannagan Remember singing that in Bradford one cold evening when he scored our second and winning goal in the old promotion season
  • Options
    If I remember rightly, he played well in a friendly against the spuds at shitehurst a couple of years after he retired and Lawrence wanted to sign him on. It didn't happen because he'd received an insurance payout when he got injured playing for Cambridge (I think)
  • Options
    i thought he was doing a very good job as coach,but then again i thought les reed was as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if he thinks he sees things he could help with, then why not ?
  • Options
    Anyone remember his hat-trick vs Chelsea in 77?
    As I remember, the Chelsea lunatics tore up the ground afterwards & set fires off in the covered end.

He was a terrific player - what we'd give for a forward of his quality just now....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]if he thinks he sees things he could help with, then why not ?
    I see things I could help with! Give me a go!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]Anyone remember his hat-trick vs Chelsea in 77?
    As I remember, the Chelsea lunatics tore up the ground afterwards & set fires off in the covered end.

He was a terrific player - what we'd give for a forward of his quality just now....

I thought his hat trick was the previous season in the 4-1 win over Spurs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]Anyone remember his hat-trick vs Chelsea in 77?

I thought his hat trick was the previous season in the 4-1 win over Spurs.

He got one in both of those games.
  • Options
    The reason I started following Charlton in 1978.
    He scored goals for fun for the New England Tea Men and was selected the North American Soccer League's Most Valuable Player over the likes of Beckenbauer, Chinaglia, Cruyff, Trevor Francis, Rodney Marsh etc ...
    Flash had Paddy Powell playing on a wing and another Addick, Lawrie Abrahams in the Tea Men side.

Their early departure to America nearly cost Charlton relegation, so may be he has something to make up for. At this point, I think everyone would settle for 'nearly relegation.'
  • Options
    AA, you should add that to the Why Charlton thread

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=4062&page=1
  • Options
    His four goals against Notts County are still etched clearly in my mind. The only time I have ever seen a Charlton player score four in one game and unlikely to see again in my lifetime.
  • Options
    I thought the word DRIVER was missed off that headline.