Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The "Questions for the Fans Forum" Thread

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
I thought it would be helpful that if people over time do have any specific questions to raise for FF members, it could all be housed in the one thread. Easier for them, and others to follow.

I'll start:

As we have seen on here and other websites, groups, pub talk etc

Supporter's viewpoints of what should be done in terms of protest / support, direction, views towards the board etc vary hugely. Some want direct action, some see it as interference, some want to back the board, some want to hold them to task etc. That surely is likely to be evident amongst the fledgling forum (particularly with the couple of members i know).

* How are you determining what stance you take as a collective when you as individuals will have vastly differing standpoints ?
* Are all members getting involved on every issue, or are certain subjects being split out ?
* Who out the forum is 'taking the lead' ?

To spell it, this is no way intended as knocking the forum, i'm generally interested in how the structure is being formed as i don't think publicly anything has been said on these points, and i think it would be beneficial if others knew more about the structure.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Let me get the ball rolling, AFKA.

Good questions - and thanks for providing the opportunity.

* How are you determining what stance you take as a collective when you as individuals will have vastly differing standpoints ?

We are very much trying to make our role one of representation, rather than let personal views dominate. Each of the reps is receiving direct contact from fans and we are all monitoring the various websites, blogs etc. We then share our views and are looking for the common themes (not hard in the current climate). Our output is then designed to reflect this.

I think the test is the feedback we have been receiving. Pretty much whenever Tel or Gary Davenport or myself have posted stuff, we have had a good response in terms of the accuracy of the issues we are trying to address.

* Are all members getting involved on every issue, or are certain subjects being split out ?

In truth, we haven't been operating fully as a team until now. Last night's meeting at The Oak was excellent, with only Sacha from the UK being unable to attend. I feel very much that we have a good collective spirit now, especially as we arrived at a series of actions built around extracting a 'Statement of Intent' from the Club (see other threads). We are allocating individuals to certain topics, but that is really to carve up the workload or to ensure that those individuals with a particular stength of feeling on a topic get to deal with it. Even then, that individual is acting as our representative - not simply operating from a personal perspective. In general I would say that we are all involved in everything.

* Who out the forum is 'taking the lead' ?

I guess that's for others to say. Smiles self-consciously.
  • Options
    Dan

I did do a lengthy reply to this earlier, but it seems to have been swallowed up in the ether.

I think that all our fans have differing standpoints, the difficulty will be in identifying which points are valid and worthy of follow through. The way I saw things develop last night, it was proposed that we would discuss what proposals were forwarded as a collective, albeit some people will feel stronger than others in certain topics...I think that will help give a balanced feel to this project.

No, on certain issues, some members will carry the flag individually. Gary Davenport for instance will be at the Target 40k AGM, as he has done some research in this area already. Lars from Sweden also came up with some very interesting stats that Im sure will prove useful. We will however be available in a support capacity. Thats the nice thing about this group from what I see, we all have differing strengths and weaknesses, which again will give us a better chance of being succesful.

I dont think anybody is effectively taking a lead. I think inevitably we will have to have somebody take the chair for our unnoficial meetings. Possibly with each member taking a turn.

These are purely my views, and Im sure the other members will want to contribute their own feelings and opinions.

Tel
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. It doesn't count for anything, but from my point of view, you are going about things exactly the right way so far.
  • Options
    A question for the fans forum or the AGM I guess.

In the annual accounts it seems clear that members of the board receive interest on their loans to the Company.

Given the paltry interest rates now available even for significant investment after the recent banking crisis - what kind of rate return are they receiving from the Company given the financial straits the club now seems to be in.

Not sure if they will give a specific answer but maybe doesn't hurt to ask!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]A question for the fans forum or the AGM I guess.

In the annual accounts it seems clear that members of the board receive interest on their loans to the Company.

Given the paltry interest rates now available even for significant investment after the recent banking crisis - what kind of rate return are they receiving from the Company given the financial straits the club now seems to be in.

Not sure if they will give a specific answer but maybe doesn't hurt to ask!

Unless I have misread your statement this question is answered fully in the notes to the accounts and also in the Blog where techy points on the accounts were answered in terms people like me understand. The rates of interest due on the bonds is either similar or at a preferential rate to that charged by the banks.

I am pretty sure that if there are any fans out there with the available capital who would like to take over these bonds on the same terms each of the Directors concerned would be happy to pass on the baton as long as you had the clubs best interests at heart.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, at the moment I don't have enough hours in the day, I've been on the road pretty much constantly since the start of the year.

Hence why I missed the meeting last night, I got back to Euston at 7 and I owed my girlfriend the night after being away for so long.

I've got to think about a few things in the next 10 days, most of which will be out of London.
  • Options
    well depends on your priorities Rothko - girlfriends or fans forum you choose LOL JUST KIDDING.
  • Options
    Massive bump for this.

Just wondered if you could ask at the next meeting about the situation with the kit and sponsor for next season?

Cheers
  • Options
    Well I've decided today to leave the forum.

No slight on the forum, it's members or the club, it's just a case that I don't have the time at present to do it.

When I applied to join, I was a lazy civil servant with time on my hands, now doing a proper job working for a trade union I don't have the time to invest in what I still believe is a very worthwhile and positive venture for the club and supporters.

I know Dave, Gary, Geoff, Tel, Lars, Tony and Gavin will represent fans well in the future.

S
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Sacha, I think your input will be missed but thanks for the work you did while you were around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FF meeting on Thursday so if you want issues raised then last chance.

See the OS for the contact details
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]FF meeting on Thursday so if you want issues raised then last chance.

.... or feel free to post things here. I trawl religiously.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]FF meeting on Thursday so if you want issues raised then last chance.

I might prefer to use one of the other members : - )
  • Options
    are you David Pleat in disguise?

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

I might prefer to use one of the other members : - )

Henry, please use whichever 'member' you wish.

Eeeuuww
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sorry to hear that Sacha, I think your input will be missed but thanks for the work you did while you were around.

Cheers man