Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colours to the mast

Right then...this is it... I feel the time has come for me to affirm my commitment.... I'm in: Charlton for life on Charlton Life.

Never in my time supporting the club have I seen us sink so low.... but I find my support unwavering and the affinity with Charlton actually stronger than ever

I've flitted around the net over the last couple of years checking out different forums and message boards..... signed up and posted on a few..... but never felt I really belonged on any of 'em..... I signed up as a member here about a year ago.... and purely lurked through 2008..... but our current plight has brought me closer in some way... I have felt the need to connect with my fellow addicks like never before...and through this site I have donw so... and felt some comfort and consolation.....

People call me Siv.... I'm 31 and have been supporting Charlton since my old man (a Charlton supporter) told me it was about time I got into football, bought me a Mexico '86 sticker album and educated me about Charlton. I grew up down on the south coast near Pompey... and so everyone at school either supported them or Liverpool (80s yeah). I got massive stick...but never once did it bother me.

Didn't catch many games back then..... understandably enough.... but the old man took me to Selhurst a couple of times.... and back to the Valley for a look. I have some great photos of me looking over a wall at the weeds.... and also in the North stand. I joined the supporters club I think... and subscribed to Voice of the Valley, which was GREAT for a young addick in isolation btw... I seem to remember writing to Lennie Lawrence asking if I could come and train with the lads and maybe get a free kit (I really didn't understand about the financial situation it seems).

I remember going to Upton Park with my Dad and half-brother who was back visiting from the states to see a 'home' game at some point. Charlton is defo in the family. Dad grew up in S.E. London/Kent...and raised his first batch of kids locally inc. the half-brother. The eldest half-sister married a palace bloke (oh dear) but one of the younger ones married a true charlton-blooded male. They are our strongest regular link to the club now and both have season tickets for themselves and 3 of their 4 kids. They sit down by/in the disabled supporters area as one of the nephews is in a wheel chair. They feel well catered for I think...... only bad note about them is the fact that their youngest daughter goes to school with Warnocks daughter, has become her best friend and goes with her to bloody Palace games... couldn't believe the pics I was sent over Christmas with her face painted up in red/blue with a freakin' eagle on it!!!!

Anyway....other games I remember were regular fixtures against Pompey at Fratton Park (standing on the uncovered end on one side of the partition fence with my 'mates' from school on the other side hurling abuse at me to the bemusement of surrounding fellow addicks)... I remember Robert Lee being superb in about 91 I think! And then there was that game in '92..... back to the Valley...... and to top it all - against Pompey! I thought I had no chance of a ticket.... but applied anyway... I think I was a member of the supports club or something...and that's what did it...coz I remember the thrill of getting the ticket in the post and realising I was going home to watch a game. Getting on the bus outside my house to start my journey up to the Valley sticks firmly in my mind...decked up in red scarf and a beaming smile...... I was 15 and on my own up to London no worries.... got to the ground and found my way into the West stand......

and the rest is a blur..... empty east side.... colin walsh goal.... final whistle......then the journey home with loads of people at waterloo asking me how we had got on and wishing the club well (nice!)

drifted away from Charlton a bit when I went to uni from 96-99.... but was at Wembley for the play-off final with my dad, half-bro (flown in from states) and aforementioned half-bro in law....what a game...what a game....am glad I made it..... and the buzz and teh higging or strangers and tears from an old old old man behind me will stay with me for the rest of my days....

99-00 was the season that I felt the furthest from the team....I went of to do work on organic farms in Sicily for most of the season (Nov-June) and only went to the nearest town to go online once a week.... I remember being astounded at how well we were doing.... but not really knowing much about it... or being too emotionally involved.... I know we stuttered over the line... and I thought 'typical drama' but perhaps our most successful playing season since I have supported the club was when I felt the most distant...

Since 2000 I have lived mostly in Asia teaching English etc. Played with a team called Phoenix in Taiwan (hence the login name...ok....ok...it is quite north american... but there were many North Americans on the team...and Phoenix fitted my Charlton credentials quite nicely thank you) and spread the word to the lads...

...am sure many of you who have lived around predominantly non-CAFC supporting communities have the feeling that when old friends hear about Charlton they will think of you... and in terms of both my lives down Pompey way and in Taiwan am sure this is the case

Have seen Charlton shirts in weird places around Asia on my travels too...and always make sure to look for knock off shirts in Bangkok when I am there (had a Redbus one...and Viglen one... but nothing for years and years now)

and now I am in China.... and will be for the foreseeable.....

Charlton are at a low ebb... and my lady (Taiwanese) asks me if I have considered changing my team.....

.... and it really hits home.... that this is for life. There is no changing allegiences... and my support and love of Charlton is not contingent on success on the pitch (but some would be nice)

I'm in this for life.... and for now Charlton Life is providing me with a strong connection to what is going on back there....

... I thank you all for that....

one last thing... I know we're f---ed...and I know I haven't seen how bad it has been on the field.....

...but we CAN still beat the drop..... we CAN do it...

Cheers,

Siv

Comments

• Options
    Very good post.

But we can't beat the drop.

Welcome.
  • Options
    Siv, keep the faith. Miracles can happen.
  • Options
    Good post Siv....keep the home fires burning mate
  • Options
    great post mate...
  • Options
    Excellent post PhoenixSiv.

I've lived overlooking Portsmouth Harbour for the past 2 years and excilled on the South Coast for the last 22 so I know how far the Valley can seem from down here.

Good that you have kept the faith and that your dislike of the Nigels ( I'm not allowed to say Palarse oops - bugger ) is still festering. I was brought up in South Croydon and loads of my 'friends' supported that lot. My Dad (A Charlton born and bred hero) steered me away from the Dark Side to see my 1st game at the Valley in 1966. I remember playing for my school in a cup final at Sellout and getting told off by the teacher for saying do we have to play in this s**t hole. Mind you we were standing in the main reception at the time. :-)

Keep your posts coming as I'm sure they will be appreciated wherever they may be read or originate from. CTID LLLABH
  • Options
    Siv interesting post.

I sent a Redbus shirt (my own, regret it now liked it better than any since) out to Phuket to be put on the wall in a bar and also sent out another shirt to a local guy out there on the basis he supported Charlton instead of Norwich who he liked.

Also saw a local on Phi Phi Island in an away Mesh shirt.
  • Options
    Great post, Siv ...... and cheers for baring your soul.

My exile is only in Cornwall, and not somewhere like China - but often it can feel like it!
    So a little empathy.

Keep the faith!
  • Options
    Great post Siv, I suspect many of us have similar histories with the club. Will we go down? Currently it's looking probable, but we'll be back.
  • Options
    cheers all.... really nice to read your comments eh!

shame about the cup loss.... but.... er..... back to the league next eh!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Great post Siv, I suspect many of us have similar histories with the club. Will we go down? Currently it's looking probable, but we'll be back.[/quote]

Don't bet on it for a while .....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good post Siv, great to hear some positives - yeah, we probably are going down, but we are Charlton whatever happens