Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CENTRAL HEATING ENGINEER - HELP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Have you bled them st all?
  • Options

So last night the heating just wouldn't turn on at all. Then when I went upstairs to bed I realised that the heating had been on, but only upstairs. Same again this morning, the radiators downstairs are cold and the ones upstairs are hot, any ideas?

Stay upstairs.
    But I keep my beer downstairs.
  • Options

Have you bled them st all?

Nope, looks like that's the next step, probably ruin the house doing it mind.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Have you tried turning the heat controls on the rads up or down recently? They can get stuck in the off position (it happened to me recently) but is fairly easy to fix. Take off the top of the control and there's a plunger that is activated by the controller. If it's stuck down try putting some WD40 down it and pull it up using a pair of thin nosed pliers.
  • Options

Have you tried turning the heat controls on the rads up or down recently? They can get stuck in the off position (it happened to me recently) but is fairly easy to fix. Take of the top of the control and there's a plunger that is activated by the controller. If it's stuck down try putting some WD40 down it and pull it up using a pair of thin nosed pliers.

Cheers, I'll give that a go.
  • Options
    If you do bleed them and loads of air comes out - remember to top up water level as bleeding will have dropped the pressure.
  • Options
    I have had similar issues this past week and bleeding the radiators does help. Make sure that if you do bleed them, you close up the valves afterwards or the water will piss out everywhere when you top the pressure up again.
  • Options
    Who'd of thought I'd be spending my weekends bleeding radiators, I can barely tie my shoelaces. I feel I'm finally turning into a fully fledged adult.
  • Options
    Bleed them with the heating off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's more fun/dangerous bleeding them while it's on :smiley:
  • Options
    I'll probably mess it up, get angry and then give up. :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    This may sound silly, but is your controller a 7 day programmable one. with these there can be completely different settings for each day or weekday/weekend. If youve changed the times, you may have only done it for one day....

Also do you have two thermostats, one for controlling upstairs and one for downstairs.

Most common problem Ive had with mine is the synchron motor in the control valve starts to fail. Ive replaced 3 of these in my house over the last 20 years.
  • Options
    dogpat65 said:

This may sound silly, but is your controller a 7 day programmable one. with these there can be completely different settings for each day or weekday/weekend. If youve changed the times, you may have only done it for one day....

Also do you have two thermostats, one for controlling upstairs and one for downstairs.

Most common problem Ive had with mine is the synchron motor in the control valve starts to fail. Ive replaced 3 of these in my house over the last 20 years.

I don't think it's a 7 day one, I've gone through all the settings and there isn't much customization at all, it's really basic. We only have the one thermostat too. I'll give bleeding the radiators a go, and get the boiler serviced as we need to do that anyway. If none of that works then I'll be back to the drawing board/ pay a professional.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like your pump has gone.
  • Options
    Faulty motorised valve can cause your boiler to run when boiler should be off.
  • Options
    Update - I bled all the radiators this weekend and they appeared to be fine, no air came out just clear water. So currently none of the 4 radiators downstairs get hot when the heating comes on. 4 out of 5 of our upstairs radiators do get hot when the heating is on. We turned off all of the upstairs radiators and had some luck as 3 of the downstairs did heat up, however probably the most important one (living room) didn't heat up at all. When we turned the upstairs radiators back on all of the downstairs radiators slowly cooled down and now don't heat up again. Bit stuck really, think we might have to get a professional in.
  • Options

If you do bleed them and loads of air comes out - remember to top up water level as bleeding will have dropped the pressure.

dopey question ..... where does one top up the water level ?

• Options
    Down one of those pipes sticking through the roof.
  • Options
    holyjo said:

Around the boiler, there should be a braided hose, it may be connected, if not connect. There should be valve on one side, turn it on. You may have a pressure gauge somewhere on your system. You need about 1.5 bar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hurrah! Yesterday I had British Gas round to install Hive for us, when he was finished all the radiators worked again. He mentioned that when he was installing it our pump wasn't quite set up properly (?) so he fixed it. Ideal. I'm really impressed with how good Hive is too.
  • Options

holyjo said:

Around the boiler, there should be a braided hose, it may be connected, if not connect. There should be valve on one side, turn it on. You may have a pressure gauge somewhere on your system. You need about 1.5 bar.
    That's only if the boiler is a combination. If it's not then it will top itself up from the header.