Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managers with different opinions

Lots of comments on here about Pardky having different opinions to the rest of us. Well i'm watching Man u v spurs and spurs just brought on Taarabt a young French kid, who Redknapp has apparently labelled as amazing and the most skilful player at the club. Yet at the start of the season, Ramos didn't even give him a squad number. How can 2 managers have such different opinions?!

Comments

• Options
    maybe he wasn't fit at the start of season, they mentioned his lack of fitness being a problem. seen him couple of times looks like a show pony ala jerome thomas
  • Options
    Remember Christiano Ronaldo being called a show pony.
  • Options
    He didn't really show too much tonight did he? Struggled to beat the full back & get any sort of cross in at all. Hope he goes on & does well for himself though.
  • Options
    It's a very good question, Chris.

I think part of the reason is managerial ego . They all like to think they can take a player nobody else has rated or discovered and turn them into a world-beater. It's why Pardew signed all those untried players from Fleetwood to Christensen (not even going to mention Dickson!) If one of them becomes a star, his reputation is then secured as the Clough-like svengali who made them...

Cricket actually does this stuff far more sensibly, though. Down at Canterbury, Kent have a few young players who are the cricketing equivalent of Christensen and Fleetwood. But instead of paying them £5k a week , they are employed under a quite different system of 'development contracts' , which means they are paid closer to £500 a week rather than £5,000.
  • Options
    yes i do remember ronaldo being called a show pony, one of the rare times those type of players fulfil their potential
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]It's why Pardew signed all those untried players from Fleetwood to Christensen (not even going to mention Dickson!) If one of them becomes a star, his reputation is then secured as the Clough-like svengali who made them...

I seem to remember Pardew being rated as a manager that makes good signings, after he signed players like Reo-Coker cheaply and they became Premier League players. Though didn't he sign a lot of players at West Ham, like he did here? Difference is here, none of his many gambles worked out as he hoped they might.