Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VFR CD - who was there?

2»

Comments

• Options
    According to GBH issue 16, the complete choir was Jonny Mac, Mike westergaard, Dave Lockwood, me, Tom Morris, Tom Major, Jenny Mac, David Mac, Peter Finch, Scott Parker, Claus Jensen, Kevin Lisbie, Matt Svensson, Ben Hayes, Perry Bartlett, Nicola Milner, Alice Major (too shy to sing though), Ella Major, Janet Milner, Polly Westergaard, Jane Westergaard, Lauren Smith, Sue Allen, Tracy the Hat, Sophie Tom and colin Dray, Nick O Neil, Max Waite, Grahame Baker, Danny SMith, Andy Oakley, Andy Reid (hang on, did we already have him at teh club all those years ago?) Kevin Hornsby, Nick Hannam, Tony WIthers, Gareth Savin, and Alan Whittington.

The date was April 2nd 2001, the pub was the Lord Herbert, the guvnor bought us all a round of drinks, then two other blokes in the pub said they wanted to sing along (one was called Blobby) so they turned up with a bag full of beer.

Happy Daze
  • Options
    Good stuff GBH... I remember Blobby really well... wasnt that Tony Withers? That you Solidgone?

Is that the order that we sang in? No wonder I can't hear myself on the CD if I was in the booth with AFKA....!
  • Options
    @Goodbye & BDL: What's the status of the VFR cd/recording now, is it still available on cd? (I do have a copy, just wondering it's status) I know it was a charity recording, but can you elaborate on how the whole thing came about?
  • Options
    It was for CADSA wasn't it?
  • Options
    So where can i get hold of a copy of this then dudes?
  • Options
    Your best person to ask is 3 Blokes if he ever posts on here.

I sit with him at the Valley. I think the last I heard the club shop stopped selling them when they run out. And it was for CADSA which they made quite alot of money for If i'm correct.

I remember we had to ask Sir Paul McCartney for perrsmission to use Mull of Kintire music, which he agreed with, although I remember some problems with it?? May be wrong though.

Wouldn't mind hearing Valley Flloyd Road again down the valley before the game as it goes.
  • Options
    If i seee 3 blokes on here i will ask him cheers tom.
    [cite]Posted By: tom_cafc[/cite]Wouldn't mind hearing Valley Flloyd Road again down the valley before the game as it goes.

You mean like what westham do with their bubbles song, play it and then stop it at a certain point then the crowd take over! That impressive when they get that right, i wouldnt mind a bit of VFR as music before a game either! Tom you should start a post about it
  • Options
    but can you elaborate on how the whole thing came about? a drunken idea of mine in the Oak one pre match talking to John ( 3 blokes) and then forgot all about for a couple of weeks then was talking to John again (sober this time!) in the Charlton chatroom and we mentioned it again and it went from there.
  • Options
    Medders - yeah Blobby rools ok!
  • Options
    Yep - I was there though I didn't stay in the Herbert too long afterwards. Just a couple ;)

Blobby came and joined us and then went and won the £20k Valley Gold draw a couple of months later - I've not seen him since!

Everytime I listen to VFR I can still hear myself and a faint Scandanavian accent, not sure if it was Santa or Svenny.

My bagpipe playing has come along well since then and am hoping to do the Edinburgh festival next year ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Johnny Mac had the idea for ages before it all came about., I know he floated it on Netaddicks and on air with us on Millennium.

Cracking day in the studio (I had to leave at about 6)- I still remember Spotty Parker's eyes popping out at the studio equipment (like a kid in a candy store) - GBH said he knew where next weeks wages were going! Claus was the one who said TCH - oir, he just couldn't get it right. I've still got a minidisc somewhere with excerpts recorded from the day - if only I could find it. I did manage to get Svennie to do me a jingle in Swedish - No idea what he said!! I think Lisbie wanted to rap.....

We played the song out on Millennium the following Saturday morning - got so much reaction the phone system almost crashed - they went mad.

As for that day on the pitch - I remember having to run back to my old room to press play on the CD when Peter Varney said let's do it again.....
  • Options
    Yes Medders, that was the order that the voices went in at. Of coure the order they came out it may be completely different.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite] I've still got a minidisc somewhere with excerpts recorded from the day - if only I could find it. I did manage to get Svennie to do me a jingle in Swedish - No idea what he said!! I think Lisbie wanted to rap.....

BDL, if you ever do come across it, let us know, we'd love to stick it up on here.
  • Options
    3blokes, have you seen this thread ?
  • Options
    Brought back a lot of memories, it was a cracking day.
    I'm really chuffed it is so well remembered, it was a real communal effort that day.
    Funnily enough I have been half working on a song to try and cheer us all up!
    I'll finish it off over xmas, and post you a copy if you like, and if enough of ya like it, perhaps we could revamp the old choir and do another cd for something or other.

Save The Charlton CD eh?!
  • Options
    you can always have my Darren Bent song as a B-side !!

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=43
  • Options
    ha ha, sign him up.
    Ok we'll be the SE London Elton John /Bernie Taupin but bags I'm not the gay one :)

Oh no, now the missus is complaining about the state of the kitchen. And she says she can still hear me typing!
    Bloody hell to think I gave up being a happy batchelor.....
  • Options
    Look forward to the comeback tour!
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]ha ha, sign him up.
    Ok we'll be the SE London Elton John /Bernie Taupin but bags I'm not the gay one :)

Oh no, now the missus is complaining about the state of the kitchen. And she says she can still hear me typing!
    Bloody hell to think I gave up being a happy batchelor.....

John - You can't say that Pete, Portchy and me didn't warn you!!!! Shall I play Santa is a charlton fan on Weds night? Maybe not!

Still can't find that bloody mini disc though. It might be in the loft along with all my LP's, Cassettes etc... Here's hoping 'er indoors has listened to my subtle hints for that USB turntable.....
  • Options
    Hi boy Merry Christmas and all that, it suddenly feels like we've got something to fight for eh? Feel a bit sorry for Les, but it was going nowhere.
    And those missing tapes are passing into rock legend....... was it Pete F we pretended had to sing it on his own? Would love to hear the tape of that......on seconds thoughts maybe not!
    I've got a great early version of Red Army somewhere where I sound like an entire crowd on helium.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave,

please play 'Santa is a Charlton fan......

pretty please.
  • Options
    i was in spirit.
  • Options
    I was in spirit too getting about 40 sms that night from various members of the chior - may of them posters on NA and here. It was on the Monday after a mammoth weekend where I went to see Thommo CAFC in Yeovil. From there we went to his university town where we saw Exeter v Blackpool primarily to see the visitors loan signing Danny Sh1ttu. We did get some suprised looks from the away following. Not as suprised as we were when we realsied how tall he really was. SUnday went across to Charlton v Leicester where Barts scored that wonder goal. Came back on Monday morning after 1000 miles.

Got a call from Medders afterwards...... poor fella just vommed on his shoes and hasn't heard the end of it since.....

I got a copy of "3 blokes from F block" which was nicely donated by Kevin Portch after winning a caption competition in GBH.

The caption was some overweight bloke standing next to a catering sign at Coventry City......

"Eat this girls"
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Dave,

please play 'Santa is a Charlton fan......

pretty please.

Oh all right - It'll make an appearance somewhere!!!!