Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formal communication to the Board by the Fans' Forum representatives

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
With apologies for the length of this posting, please be aware that the Fans' Forum representatives have presented earlier today a formal communication to the Board asking for a 'Statement of Intent' on a number of key strategic issues (in particular - dealing with the threat of relegation, financial strategy and administration).

The Fans' Forum representatives believe that this communication reflects the views which fans are expressing (ever more emphatically) and which should provide a useful framework for discussion at tomorrow's AGM, at the next formal meeting of the Fans' Forum with the club and on other suitable occasions in the near future.

We don't expect the Board necessarily to be pleased with the content, but it has been compiled and is being presented in the spirit of re-kindling the link between the fans and the Board. You will be aware that this relationship is not at its best at the moment and we firmly believe that any remedial work needs to start with the fans and the club being harmonious with regard to the stated objectives.

Please be assured that our intentions are to convey the scope and depth of feeling that fans have expressed on the issues described, and to identify collective positive action which can help the club improve its current situation.

We believe that there is a need for the club to communicate strategic plans and objectives more clearly to ensure that the expectations of fans are re-aligned, where necessary. At that point, we can all begin to help with the work which needs to be done to bring the club through the present difficult times.

The content of the document presented will be posted here shortly.

Comments

• Options
    Communication to the Board and Directors of Charlton Athletic Football Company Ltd by the Fans’ Forum representatives (27th January 2009)

a) Introduction

The stated purpose of the Fans’ Forum is “to convey the views of supporters to the club to ensure that Charlton continue to address issues that supporters care about”.

Although the remit of the Fans’ Forum does not extend to ‘on-pitch football matters’, nevertheless the developments of the last couple of seasons and, in particular, of the last few months have meant that such issues, above all others, have tended to dominate the thoughts and actions of all who have the well-being of Charlton Athletic at heart.

In the interest of providing constructive suggestions regarding potential solutions to the current situation, the Fans’ Forum representatives have prepared this formal communication to the Board and Directors of Charlton Athletic Football Company Ltd in order to draw a ‘Statement of Intent’ reflecting the short, medium and long-term strategic plans for the club.

The Board needs to recognise that, after 15 years or so of being able to take the support of most fans for granted, the decisions and actions made over the last couple of years have resulted in that credibility being eroded. Any repair work designed to improve the current and future position of the club must therefore begin by identifying how the Board may regain this lost support, and the ‘Statement of Intent’ is seen as the first step in re-uniting fans and Directors.

Supporters still believe that the Board has the club’s best interest at heart, but at the same time they are asking for assurances that the club will begin to move forward again and with a bright future. To ensure that supporters retain a justifiably optimistic view, we ask that the Board issues some key strategic objectives for all to embrace.

This communication sets out the areas which we believe need to be addressed.

b) Objective

The Fans’ Forum representatives believe that the Board is clear about the current groundswell of concern among the majority of supporters. The purpose of this communication is not to try to summarise or re-inforce those views, nor is it designed to rake over the causes and historical facts which have given rise to those concerns.

The purpose is to provide a series of specific questions which, if addressed by the club in the form of a ‘Statement of Intent’, will provide an assurance to fans that the Board really does have a well-developed strategy to ensure the short, medium and long-term future of the club. There is a willingness within the core support of the club to help the Board develop and implement a suitable strategy. At this stage, we trust that the lack of clarity and public awareness of the Board’s strategic plans owe more to insufficient communication rather than to lack of options, thought or vision.

c) Key questions

1. Short-term plans for the remainder of the 2008/2009 season

While fans will never give up until things are mathematically certain, the likelihood of avoiding relegation this season appears improbable.

It is apparent that the Board does not plan to gamble on trying to avoid relegation by (for example) making increased funding available. Fans do not understand the managerial appointment of and persistence with Phil Parkinson, the uninspiring January transfer activity so far and the short-term ‘loan strategy’ (which is bewildering to most supporters). These are seen as indications that the Board’s preferred action is one of ‘let’s see if we can get out of this with more or less what we have’.

The Board needs to recognise that such a display of apparent indifference to the aspirations of most fans is not acceptable. Fans continually remind us that, back in August, we were expecting a promotion campaign this season. They are highly concerned about the number of loan signings and what appears to be a very demotivated squad. The continual changes are much questioned, as are the coaching strategies and level of fitness. Thus, the Board will need to consider how the club will deal with the inevitable loss of support this season and next. Already, since the dismissal of Alan Pardew last November, the club is being accused of having given things up without a fight and, based on the decisions and actions since then (although recognising the undoubted hard work behind the scenes), it is difficult to counter that point. Of course, if options are limited due to severe financial constraints, then the Board should be prepared to explain this and not try to hide behind comments designed to ‘protect us from the truth’.

In summary, the outward impression is that we have conceded the fight against relegation this season. Does the Board accept this observation and, if not, what is the objective basis for believing that escape remains likely?

The ‘Statement of Intent’ should describe why avoiding relegation this season is considered possible, explaining why the current manager and squad will be able to accrue upwards of 30 points from the remaining 18 matches, having managed 19 from the previous 28.

Additionally, the ‘Statement of Intent’ should describe how the team will be re-built and gain stability regardless of which division it is in next season.

2. Financial options

It is recognised that, in the modern game, to compete at the highest level, vast sums of money are now required. While fans will remain eternally grateful for the kind of financial support the current Directors and their predecessors have provided, it is clear that the resources available to the Board are insufficient to fulfil such aspirations. Moreover, some key business rules have evidently been transgressed in the past (for example, a sustained high level of wages as an excessively large percentage of turn-over).

In the wake of the Zabeel experience, is the club actively seeking suitable investors, or is the strategy one of opportunism (ie let’s wait and see who might come along)?

The ‘Statement of Intent’ should describe the business strategy for attracting suitable investors (eg based on networking, targeted advertising, how Charlton Athletic is positioning itself against other available clubs etc), including the criteria whereby such investors are ‘vetted’ not just for their financial viability, long-term stability and commitment, but also for their adherence to the principles which this club and its fans hold dear.

If the club is choosing to adopt a ‘wait and see’ strategy, this needs to be communicated, with a description of how the club will be managed financially in the meantime, and with an appropriate alignment of playing expectations as a result. In short, the ‘Statement of Intent’ should explain how it can equate aspirations of “competing at the highest level” (as indicated by Martin Simons at the Fans’ Forum meeting on 2nd December 2008) with such a ‘wait and see’ strategy in terms of attracting financial investment.

The ‘Statement of Intent’ should also include details of any revised business model so that the costly experiences of the recent past are not repeated. As an example, the prudent balance of income versus expenditure needs to be ensured and, if this results in a lowering of playing expectations as a consequence, this needs to be clearly articulated.

3. Administration

Richard Murray has recently assured us that Administration will not be allowed to happen (South London Press, 12th January 2009 – “We, as a board of directors, will not let the club go into administration”).

Is this currently the last word on the matter?

Most fans do not understand the full implications of a club going into Administration, but recognise that the points penalties can have vastly differing impact (eg applying to the current season, or carried over into the new season) depending on when Administration occurs.

The ‘Statement of Intent’ should explain why going into Administration is unacceptable and what the consequences are for the club if it seeks to avoid this situation under all circumstances.

Conversely, if the possibility of Administration is likely to re-appear in the near future, the ‘Statement of Intent’ should describe the identified consequences.

d) Conclusion

The Fans’ Forum representatives strongly encourage the Board to share its thoughts and plans according to the context provided by the above key questions and points. These may be provided in the form of a ‘Statement of Intent’ which will allow fans to understand the reality of the environment in which the club and its Directors are currently operating, and for those fans potentially to re-align their expectations for the club over the next few years.

We do not necessarily expect to be happy with the content of such a ‘Statement of Intent’. We do expect, however, to be able to use it to re-kindle the fans’ confidence in the Board and to gain assurance that our club, for which the Board and Directors are the elected custodians, is in safe hands, particularly from a business perspective.

There is a willingness and expertise within the rank and file of the current fanbase to help provide and implement the strategy which is so sorely needed.

Traditionally, Charlton fans are at their best at times like these. Give us the assurances we need, to help us to help the club we love.
  • Options
    Interesting, good luck with this, at least it should provoke discussion and get some important issues in the open.

I don't agree with all the content, and parts I believe are possibly naive, but my view is immaterial - if it has the impact as said above of getting important issues discussed, then it is definitely worthwhile.
  • Options
    A very difficult document to put together when you had 8 different contributors representing a cross section of fans. Stonemuse......your view is what the forum is all about mate, otherwise the forum will ultimatley prove to be totally ineffective.
  • Options
    An interesting document. Well done for getting it together and it will be interesting to see the reaction from the board to receiving it. I hope it is taken by them in the spirit in which it is meant - Which I see as 'We're all in this together, what can we do to help".
  • Options
    It is, but as a forum member I just want to say one thing,that whilst I agree with the general thrust of communication, it is over
    harsh and some of the language is counterproductive.

For example I believe that everyone, and not just the fans are fighting for us to stay up, and I find it overly harsh to accuse the board of being indiffent to the plight of the team or supporters ambitions.

I think its fair as part of the forum to allow differing views, I think its also fair to have a view from the minority view within the drafting of this document.
  • Options
    As i've previously expressed privately, I'm pretty much where Rothko and Stonemuse have stated with this.

I applaud wholeheartedly the forum for getting stuck in and for what they are attempting to achieve in this instance, but i have a reservation that it is a bit 'too strong, too soon', some of the questioning is a touch naive and unable to be answered publicly at this stage, and by releasing on the day of such an important game, is ill-timed.

Tonight's result and what is revealed at tomorrow's AGM may have a huge impact in the overall picture, and i personally feel the Forum would have been best waiting for this events to pass, see what is revealed, and skew the note accordingly.

I hope it however leads to a successful line of communication.
  • Options
    I think it's a tad pompous and, as Rothko says, probably counterproductive, myself. You might feel better for getting it off your chests, but I don't see what you realistically aim to achieve with it.
  • Options
    Sorry, can't agree, this is fantastic stuff and the first time I've really felt involved or connected with in our support representation, though Rothko's point is still a very valid one, it shouldn't just be the loudest voices that are reflected (although to be fair it's a view that's not really been publically heard until now).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]It is, but as a forum member I just want to say one thing,that whilst I agree with the general thrust of communication, it is over
    harsh and some of the language is counterproductive.

For example I believe that everyone, and not just the fans are fighting for us to stay up, and I find it overly harsh to accuse the board of being indiffent to the plight of the team or supporters ambitions.

I think its fair as part of the forum to allow differing views, I think its also fair to have a view from the minority view within the drafting of this document.

I presume you made this point when the document was put together? I am a great believer in collective responsiblity for this type of situation.

Not saying I disagree with what you say though, but I stick by my view that as long as the document is taken in the spirit of co-operation it should be viewed as useful.
  • Options
    We debated the timing. In truth, it's hard to see what bearing tonight's result will have on any proposed strategic objectives. More importantly, we wanted to provide a framework for discussion at tomorrow's AGM and at other opportunities. Do we expect the discussion at the AGM to run itself?

If some of the questions are naive, maybe that re-inforces the need for fans to be educated? Pompous? Then many Charlton supporters must be pompous.

We tried to convey within the document what we hope to achieve. Kigelia summarised it beautifully.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good to see conflicting opinions from within and outside the fans forum already!!

Will we ever gel as a club again?
  • Options
    The best thing about it, is that it exists! I can fully imagine that it was extremely difficult to put together. Furthermore, I did not think, when it was set up, that the Fans Forum would have been able to produce such a document. But then I never in my worst nightmares thought that at this point of the season we'd be bottom and 9 points adrift. My thanks to all involved.

Rothko. In my opinion, the wording does no more than offer a realistic view of the current perception of the vast majority of supporters/stakeholders/customers. It does not make accusations. Indeed, it says that "Supporters still believe that the Board has the club’s best interest at heart". There are plenty of journalists and outside observers who find it amazing that this is still true.
  • Options
    So what happened to Mr Irving's whisper??????
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't think its too harsh

but don't see how more statements spin from the club will go to mending the feeling of 'miss trust' between fans and board/club. Th damage has been done now and it will take a long long time for that trust to form again.

But it has to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Lucky I got that line added Prague, cause it was a long way from that in the orginal draft.

Whilst there is a view that there should be collective responsibilty in the forum, it's not a block, and people are free to express their own opinions, I missed the meeting which started this document through work committments, but my view would still be the same.
  • Options
    A lot of hard work by the fans' forum. Pity they won't get a single straight answer!
  • Options
    Well done to all involved. A concise, articulate and balanced picture of what the key issues that are held dear by Supporters. Lets hope we get a considered and full response. Congratulations
  • Options
    Well Daggs, let's wait and see what kind of response we get. I know nothing about business and finance, but I wonder if it's at all possible for a board to answer questions about their intentions regarding administration without exposing themselves to legal/financial penalties? But I think it's an excellent letter, and provides a very good starting point for discussion at the AGM. Like many other shareholders I can't be there, and would be very grateful for reports from those who are (members only, if necessary).
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tried another whisper (eventually)
  • Options
    I'm having a numpty time here. Every time i 'whisper' it's posting on the thread and the whisper !!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]So what happened to Mr Irving's whisper??????

It was about Zheng Zhi.

Chinese whispers ;o)
  • Options
    Why isn't this thread marked 'Sticky'?
  • Options
    Afka/lokie/WSS...I'm sure loads of people will be interested in reading this, but are either at the match or listening on t'radio. Any chance of making it a sticky, before it disappears?
  • Options
    Phew, someone agrees with me. Criticise D.R. all you like for his writing style but that's a conduit?
  • Options
    Good on the fans form for at least asking the questions to the board. It may not have been the way many would have gone about it, but the underling theme is correct, i.e. we know the board have the heart in the right place but have made too many wrong decisions in recent times not to be questioned.
  • Options
    I think this is basically a decent document. I wouldn't have liked to have drafted it and had I have done, I might of expressed things slightly differently or put a slightly different emphasis on certain parts but all in all I think it's fine.

When the FF was set up, one of my main principles for it to be effective was to be able to hold the board to account (not in a legal way). This goes a long way to doing this. It may not produce all the answers, but on balance my view is that questions that need to be asked should not be ducked and fans do worry, for example, whether the Board has effectively written this season off.

I am pleased as well that it was hammered out and that not everybody on the FF was 100% happy with the final wording. That suggests that it is a robust document and that some real exchange of view took place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]The best thing about it, is that it exists! I can fully imagine that it was extremely difficult to put together. Furthermore, I did not think, when it was set up, that the Fans Forum would have been able to produce such a document. But then I never in my worst nightmares thought that at this point of the season we'd be bottom and 9 points adrift. My thanks to all involved.

Rothko. In my opinion, the wording does no more than offer a realistic view of the current perception of the vast majority of supporters/stakeholders/customers. It does not make accusations. Indeed, it says that "Supporters still believe that the Board has the club’s best interest at heart". There are plenty of journalists and outside observers who find it amazing that this is still true.

Hear, hear!!!
    Many of us may have conflicting views on the problems and the causes that afflict this club, but we all want what is best for the club in the end.
  • Options
    Congratulations to Dave Rudd and the rest of the fans forum guys for a really excellent document. It's well-expressed, goes to the heart of the concerns most of us feel and is considered and measured, without pullling it's punches.

I'll make a confession: I was expecting something less potent and a lot woolier. I made the silly mistake of under-estimating you guys.

Hats off to you in a big way. It will be interesting to see the response because it's so well constructed and reasoned that it cannot simply be ignored. Heroic work, chaps...
  • Options
    Think this is very good well done
    Cant wait to hear the clubs reply
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Lucky I got that line added Prague, cause it was a long way from that in the orginal draft.[/quote]

Good for you. You've made your input,its been respected, and acted upon. You've influenced the document as a result. Seems to me that collective responsibility has been followed in exemplary fashion.