Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I see we have a new neighbour in the bottom 3

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Derby County.

Just our luck tonight that the very time we notch our first win since God only knows when, all the other basement jacks pick up points too. Hey-ho.

So we're still 8 points behind. But do I spy my old mates Plymouth Argyle in freefall ....? lol

Edit: Target for survival = focus on 3 points from the next game

There you go folks, taken the table out and put in an Edit.
Looks more encouraging already ...!!!

;o)

Comments

• I'd ban the table from the training ground, the programme -everywhere.

It's about getting our heads down and winning now. Sod what everyone else does.
  • Absolutely correct.
  • I make you right, Valley11.

Just the next game ..... go for the win.
    Nothing else to get in the way.

And don't think any further ahead.
  • Quick, someone organise a CL Coach to Derby
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Quick, someone organise a CL Coach to Derby Burnley

(!)
  • Bring em all in!!
  • Just don't let the club organise an 'operation Derby' for Christ's sake!
  • Doncaster, Norwich and Watford ALL have to come to The Valley yet and we have away games at Derby and Southampton to come.

If we can get a little run going then its still possible to get out of this mess, but we have to do it NOW, we need a win at Burnley on Saturday, a draw won't be much good at all, and then a home win against Cardiff.

The sooner we are back in the pack then the sooner the pressure will ease.

We need a new centre-half to come in (Wayne Brown) and another forward to come in as well.
  • you make good points but i for one would definitely take a point at burnley
  • Ormy i was thinking the same on the way home.

i aint going to start thinking about staying up but the games are there for us to try to save our selves
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2009
    I also feel Blackpool are going to join us soon, just one win since they beat us in the first week of December & they have lost their manager
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Ormy i was thinking the same on the way home.

i aint going to start thinking about staying up but the games are there for us to try to save our selves

Don't torture yourself about whether we can stay up or not, NLA.

Let's just see what we can get at Burnley on saturday, and take it from there one game at a time.
  • Too late Ogster the dreaming has started i know i am fooling myself but hope is all we have left
  • We need to win 10/11 games to stay up.

We got a win today. So nothing changes.

If we reach 50 points I'm pretty sure we will stay up.
  • No BRE .... not 50 points.

Just 3 points again on Saturday.
    That's all for now.

;o)
  • We dont need 50 points IMO we just need to finish out of the bottom 3 you could do that with 40 points you could do it with 38

we can still do this but it is going to be very very very hard
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]IMO we just need to finish out of the bottom 3 you could do that with 40 points you could do it with 38

I think that's pushing it a bit when 4th bottom already have 30 points.
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]We dont need 50 points IMO we just need to finish out of the bottom 3 you could do that with 40 points you could do it with 38

we can still do this but it is going to be very very very hard

Not in this division. In the top flight, maybe, but the general average points total to stay up is 50, what with 8 extra games.

It'd be great if we could stay up with a low total like that, but I can't see that happening. This division is bastardly unpredictable & I could see at least 11th position to 21st being seperated by only a few points, come May.
  • we need to make sure we can make it into that mix
  • All people are seeing is the image of a huge mountain to climb.

What NLA is saying is, no one knows how big it is, and it might not be as big as some people are making out.

And we couldn't climb it in one leap anyway, so we might just as well focus on the next step.
    Because we've got a decent chance of making that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Doesn't matter what other teams do, if we get 9 or 10 more wins, maybe a few draws we will stay up.
  • Exactly, Sco. We have to focus on our game, that's all.
    If we get that right, then who knows?
  • Have Derby actually won in the league since Clough took over?
  • Nope, not yet Ali.

It's only been 2 League games though.
  • But Oggy, what about the much mentioned "new manager bounce"? Surely that should've happened straight away?
  • [cite]Posted By: SXAddick[/cite]Just don't let the club organise an 'operation Derby' for Christ's sake!

No chance of that, can't afford it!
  • Just has to scroll past the first post really fast so as not to accidentally catch sight of the table. Not daring to look until we've got at least another 3 wins under our belt.

Trying to second guess results elsewhere? That way lies madness fellas, just need to get our heads down and see what happens. Odds are still very much against us but staring at the table every 5 minutes is not going to help anyone...although I did buy a paper today for the first time in months.
  • Those stating lets just ignore the table and concentrate on each individual game.

BUT :-)

4 points from our next two games will take us realistically somewhere between 4-7 points of safety, with 15 games left to go.

Get those 4 points, or 3 at the very minimum and the dream is very much alive.
  • edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]We need to win 10/11 games to stay up.

We got a win today. So nothing changes.

If we reach 50 points I'm pretty sure we will stay up.

Actually only need 8 wins and 4 draws, or 9 wins and a draw to get us to 50 points, not 10/11 wins. Personally I think if we win 8 of the 17 remaining games that will be enough, as long as in those 8 are wins over the teams around us (we have 3 of them at home and 2 away I believe, so we win those 5 games and any 3 others).

I'm not saying we'll do it, but we need to focus on the next game. 8/9/10/11 wins sounds like a load and is putting to much pressure on ourselves too soon. You win a game and then you concentrate on the next win, and the next and suddenly its 3 more wins or 4 more wins, not 8 or 9.

Just had a look at Soccerbot and Burnley have the worst current form, followed by Debry and Plymouth. Also they have an predicted final table. Obviously they still have us bottom (is is calculated based on average form over the season, so can't take into account changes in form), but the interesting thing is they have Derby 3rd from bottom with 43 points and then next team above them, and therefore safe, on 47. This would suggest 48 points is the calculated safety target (47, but we have a rubbish goal difference).

So that means we need 26 points from 17 games, or 8 wins and 2 draws (7 wins and 5 draws too).
  • edited January 2009
    Target for survival = focus on 3 points from the next game

That's all.