Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burton and Spring

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Lovely goal and lots of hard work from Matt Spring in the middle. Needed it as Bailey was well off the pace and Carle was starting to run the show.

They all worked hard, they all fought and they all did their jobs even Bailey who never hid. Gray wasn't brilliant either but Dickson. That was the first time I've thought "yeah, he's got something". Bench were screaming at him to make the run behind the defence but what a trick on the touch line.

Holland looked very good at CH. A revelation, youga didn't make any silly error, Soares got better as the game went on, Elliot was strong and didn't have that much to do as the three headed chances they had went wide or straight at him.

We wobbled a bit when they put the subs on and Fortune went off but we stood our ground and held on.

MOTM though goes to Deon Burton. Little service or link up play until Dickson came on. Worked and worked and worked and then worked again. And there was some skill and a little bit of nous you expect from an old pro.

So pleased for Parky. It starts again on Saturday but for a few days I'm going to enjoy it.

PS The Ref was good wasn't he.

Comments

• Options
    Spot on with Burtons effort tonight Henners i thought he put a proper shift in

Dicko and Burton upfront for me
  • Options
    PS The Ref was good wasn't he.

In all my jubilation i had forgotten about the ref until you mentioned that...that was the most inept performance i have seen from a ref for quite some time, what a total embarrassment...i hope he was well rewarded by Warnock.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Spot on with Burtons effort tonight Henners i thought he put a proper shift in

Dicko and Burton upfront for me

That could really work.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Needed it as Bailey was well off the pace

I'm staggered
  • Options
    thought Burton needed to be a bit more selfish once or twice, didn't think Bailey was that bad, liked Soares need to use him a bit more. The ref was dire.. Youga is so bloody average when he has a good day: 29/30 times his distribution is awful, rarely tackles, caught out of position, etc so what does he actually bring? As you say the most you can hope for from his is he doesn't make an awful mistake, not enough for a full back I'm afraid.
  • Options
    I have to say I thought Bailey put in more tackles tonight than I've seen from a Charlton midfielder in years. I was thinking he was man of the match to be honest. Amazing how everyone sees things differently.
  • Options
    i thought bailey was motm
  • Options
    well done DB!
  • Options
    I agree that Bailey was MoTM. Never stopped tackling and winning the ball.
  • Options
    oh when matty spring
    comes marchin' in
    oh when matty spring comes marchin' in,
    I want to be in that number
    oh when matty spring comes marchin' in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

I'm staggered

Really thought he was off his game. Their midfield two had time and Bailey was constantly just behind them or arrived just as the ball went forward especially in the first half. Gave it away a few times as well.

Got better as the game went on as we were sitting back but not one of his best game IMHO. Think he has a lot more to offer than that. I like him as a player so maybe I'm expecting to much but I thought their 10 and 4 had too much room and it was Spring both winning more tackles and making better use of the ball.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i thought bailey was motm

me too, thought either him or Hudson deserved motm.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: chablis addick[/cite]oh when matty spring
    comes marchin' in
    oh when matty spring comes marchin' in,
    I want to be in that number
    oh when matty spring comes marchin' in

Got yourself a new hero, Chablis ...?

Is this the Matty Who, 4th division player everyone was moaning that we'd signed a few weeks ago, lol
  • Options
    Hudson can not head the ball well enough for me and he made some poor decisions tonight
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

I'm staggered

Don't be. Non- footballers always see things differently.
  • Options
    No, Burton MOTM for me too.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Don't be. Non- footballers always see things differently.

LOL LAYNAY
  • Options
    Thought Bailey played well. Can't see how he was off his game, he was committed to everything.
    Burton tries but for me never really looks threatening.
    How badly has Andy Gray got to be before he gets dropped. Totally inept once again. Whilst i don't think Dickson is exactly Samuel Eto'o we saw in 15 minutes that he can give us much more than Gray ever will.
  • Options
    Dicko gives us something different, unpredictable, makes the runs with pace - and can finish.

Crikey, we haven't had anyone like that since Darren Bent.
    Not that I'm expecting Dicko to be that standard for a while ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Dicko gives us something different, unpredictable, makes the runs with pace - and can finish.

Crikey, we haven't had anyone like that since Darren Bent.
    Not that I'm expecting Dicko to be that standard for a while ;o)

Oggy, so many people have been saying this for so long on here. Addick Addict for one has been a massive advocate of Dicko.
    As I have said before, many defenders are trained/coached how to deal with the main types of CF's. When you get someone a bit different and unorthordox, surely they become a handful to deal with?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have to say I thought Bailey worked his socks off and played well tonight. In a game like that you need someone who will show some intensity. I'd always have Bailey in my starting 11 because, although he lacks composure at times, he is always in the opposition's faces, making them rush a shot or blocking a cross.

Palace are a well organised unit and the way they play means they always had 3 central midfielders to our 2. Needed hard work from both central midfielders to cover that disadvantage. I was worried that that would be the difference as early in the first half, whenever the second ball from an attack/defender challenge arose (which lets face it, was every time Palace got the ball), it was a Palace man picking the ball up. Thankfully that changed as the game went on.

Burton I thought did a manful job up front with ineffective/anonymous/poor Gray.

As for Dickson, he certainly showed something, and I'd like him to be given more of an opportunity. I have a feeling that his relaxed/casual demeanour may frustrate though!
  • Options
    Hudson MOTM for me. Was clearly playing with an injury and probably would have come off but for Fortune beating him to it. He carried on regardless and won loads of headers against their big front men.
  • Options
    I'm pleased Burton showed what he can do, he's just never going to be a goalscorer, needs to be alongside one.

Gray just didn't do enough for me. Need some pace up there, someone that will turn and have a shot alongside Burton. Both things Gray can't/won't do.

Dickson showed why he hasn't started for me - Parkinson and Kinsella were screaming at him to close down their defenders and goalkeeper, which he only really tried to do when he was told to. Got a silly yellow card for having a go at the linesman. Don't see how we'll get a good striker in though, he's got to be involved as he'll try and create chances for himself, and occasionally someone else like he nearly did for Burton. As tricky says his relaxed (lazy when you want to have a go) style will frustrate a lot of people.

Shame about Fortune, OS says he's ruptured his achilles and is out for the rest of the season.

Soares showed why Stoke signed him, an athlete kind of player, quite quick and strong.

Hudson never looks great in the air to me, wins headers but something doesn't look quite right, not sure what it is. He still wins headers and generally gets them clear, hard to explain what I mean. He did enough though.

Youga didn't take any risks, but that also meant he hoofed the ball quite a lot.

Bailey was decent enough, always works very hard and gets tackles in, makes mistakes and as said lacks composure at times. At his very best he can look like one of the best players on the pitch.

Spring was tidy and I can see why people compare him to Bryan Hughes, quite a similar sort of player. Better than he was in the Forest game anyway.

Could see how Elliot really is a Charlton fan, looked so pleased with the win afterwards.

Overall we looked like an organised, hard working proper Championship team for the whole match, both halves, something we've rarely done all season. We competed and tried to play some football on the ground when we got forward.
  • Options
    " Burton MOTM ".........nooooooooooooooooo.

the guys useless Boh him & Gray have had 20 games between them since the start of Dcember and have scored precisely 1 goal each - Burton's from the penalty spot! in that time Dickson has scored once in next to no time and Spring twice in 3 games.

Dickson and an other up front for me.

as for MOTM................Spring, Bailey & Hudson can share it. All woked their socks off & neve hid. Soares als mentioned in dispatches.
  • Options
    Can't defend Burton for his goalscoring, but the rest of his play is pretty decent, certainly did a lot more tonight and in other games than Gray has. A goalscorer alongside him, and a few more wins and everyone will be saying he's a decent player and links up well with others.
  • Options
    he doesn't appear to make goals either, so what is the point?

:)
  • Options
    To be fair to Burton, we don't often put in the crosses and shots that provide the loose ball and rebounds that strikers normally thrive on.

How many tap in chances fall for him in front of goal?
  • Options
    what is the point of a striker if they can't score goals FULL STOP.

forget about "holding the ball up" or "link up play" - their job is to score goals - end of.

you don't play a goalkeeper who cant catch the ball or make a save because he can kick it straight or can throw he ball out well, do you.

otherwise you might just as well play one of us in their place.
  • Options
    well if he made half a dozen chances for other players there would be a point, but does he? Having said that he is more effective than Gray who can't seem to work out what kind of player he is.
  • Options
    Ages ago I thought Bailey could be our player of the season. He was terrific tonight.