Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matty Holland

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
i must admit i feared the worse with matty at centre half for 30 mins (36 as it turned out, where the feck did he get 5 from? but it seemed he like most others wanted it as much as we did, well done lads! same again on sat please

Comments

• He looked better at centre half than I've seen him play in the middle for a long time. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with him playing there on Saturday. Just hope we've got enough match fit defenders!!! Hudson playing through the pain, Fortune replaced, Murty limping badly by the end...oh dear...
  • I thought he was terrific against Norwich in the cup. He looks quite at home in the back four and he's proper Charlton, plays out of his skin for us.
  • I really enjoyed his tackling last night, i can honestly say that other than scoring, seeing a really good hard tackle (no pun intended) is up there with it for me.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, tackling.
  • Matt Holland is a legend. Not a genius footballer but a true 100%er. Wish we had 11 like him.
  • How Matty gets stick on this board is a complete mystery to me.
  • Matty Holland is CAFC through and through.

His legs might have gone, but his heart is definitely in it!

Legend.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]How Matty gets stick on this board is a complete mystery to me.

He gets stick because he hasn't been able to boss a midfield since he came here and that's what we thought we bought when we signed him and have desperately needed ever since.

Anyway like others have said it was a great performance and with his legs not up to a regular central midfield place Matty might well have found a way to prolong his career as a sweeping Centre Half alongside a player like Hudson who can deal with the aerial stuff.
  • Matty Holland ..... the new Chris Perry

;o)
  • If you are on facebook, please join his facebook appreciation society. He deserves more than 79 members. there is another group on there for him but they are mainly are concentrating on his cheek bones!

Matt H
  • Nice honest, reliable man...the 'perfect' proffesional...a credit to himself us and Ipswich, as well as the game of football in general.
  • Sponsored links:

• I dont doubt the guys grit and determination whatsoever, and of course he goes down as a complete legend, but im not too sure about him at CB.

Hes not the tallest which means hes vulnerable in the air and that showed at Palace after Fortune left. Luckily some of the balls over the top which he contested ran through to Elliot. I think he should be left well and truly at Centre Mid, where unfortunately there are better performers at the minute.
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]How Matty gets stick on this board is a complete mystery to me.

He gets stick because he hasn't been able to boss a midfield since he came here and that's what we thought we bought when we signed him and have desperately needed ever since.
    Did we think that? Surely that was Parker's job when we bought Holland.
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]How Matty gets stick on this board is a complete mystery to me.

Did we think that? Surely that was Parker's job when we bought Holland.

Agreed.

The problem (if that is the right word) with Matty is that he made his name doing what he does with more dominant players around him, Roy Keane and Mark Kinsella for the Republic of Ireland for instance. He came to us when we had Parker, Jensen, Graham Stuart and (for Chirpy:-) ) Kishishev.

In other words he had better players around him and complimented them well. As we know all too well Parker going left a gaping hole and Jensen left shortly afterwards too. As fans we expected Holland, as an established international, to be able to step up to the plate as a replacement for these more dominant players. In other words become the main man.

Being the 100% guy he is Matty has given his all to achieve this but arguably has never quite achieved it because the truth of the matter is that he is not a main man and never has been.

In my view that is why some fans have had a problem with Matty over the years.
  • edited January 2009
    Who's "Sally" ?
  • edited January 2009
    my aunt...
  • I love him
  • Surely if a player isn't as good as everyone wants but gives 100% you can't moan about the player. You can moan at the management for picking them or not getting in someone better, but not the player themselves.

To me Matty is a CAFC legend, not because of how good he is or isn't but because of his commitment and service he's given the club, and his honesty as an individual and a professional.
  • [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Surely if a player isn't as good as everyone wants but gives 100% you can't moan about the player. You can moan at the management for picking them or not getting in someone better, but not the player themselves.

To me Matty is a CAFC legend, not because of how good he is or isn't but because of his commitment and service he's given the club, and his honesty as an individual and a professional.

Agreed.

People still booed Kishishev though. He gave years of real committed service all in the Prem too.
  • The people who booed Kish evidently didn't appreciate his overall contribution and value to the team.

Curbs did. That's why he continually picked him.
  • People who booed Kish were idiots.
    What do people think players like Kish and Holland should do. Say "Please don't pick me because there are better players somewhere you should play instead"?
  • Sponsored links:

• Players play to their manager's instructions.

They stay in the team when they do, regardless of how supporters see performances.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    The problem (if that is the right word) with Matty is that he made his name doing what he does with more dominant players around him, Roy Keane and Mark Kinsella for the Republic of Ireland for instance. He came to us when we had Parker, Jensen, Graham Stuart and (for Chirpy:-) ) Kishishev.

Yeah that's what I've said before, he was ideal in 03/04 with Jensen (and Di Canio) creating things and Parker winning the tackles.
  • edited January 2009

Anyway like others have said it was a great performance and with his legs not up to a regular central midfield place Matty might well have found a way to prolong his career as a sweeping Centre Half alongside a player like Hudson who can deal with the aerial stuff.

ha ha ha bullshit!

He has always been one of our better - not the best but better players - some people really do talk shit - Matty out jumps most strikers when he is played CB (so far at least!)
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]

ha ha ha bullshit!

He has always been one of our better - not the best but better players - some people really do talk shit - Matty out jumps most strikers when he is played CB (so far at least!)

Ok if you want to go down that road i think your idea has a whiff about it too dazzler.

If you think a smallish ball playing midfielder who's trying to fill in as an emergency CB is best deployed charging into aerial challenges with some of this divisions battering ram forwards then don't be suprised if he starts coming off second best when they really start targeting him.
  • Matty Holland the only man to cause me to have a near tear up with our own fans (cheers Charlton Dan ) (coach journeys dont bring the best out in me lol)

I love you sir matty most that abuse you dont deserve you

Charlton legend IMO and i stand by that opinion
  • But Matty at CB doesn't play that game.

He sits off the dominant CB challengingr the first ball, then generally goes for the 2nd ball/loose man/pick up the pieces/get the ball out role - much like Chris Perry did for us going back a while.

Don't underestimate Matty's covering, tackling on the floor either - his tenacity and willingness to get at least some challenge on the ball is enough to prevent opponents getting time or a clean strike.

But against 2 big burly bustling strikers we might come unstuck. So horses for courses.
  • A Charlton legend with me to, and a thoroughly decent human being. He breeds chickens, apparently, in Suffolk.
  • i thought he won more headers against that big lump kuqi than he lost the bloke is pure class as a person and footballer just like the fella who signed him
  • It's a disgrace that he had the captaincy taken from him and given to that loser Hudson!
  • We have won more games with Holland as captain rather than Hudson = FACT