Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

We aint out the woods yet....far from it

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Do you know what i felt after the Palarce match...nothing.
I knew that like so many times before Charlton bounce up and down from a rare positive result then fail to deliver next match; its happened before (ie v Norwich) we are also desperatly adrift from the pack we need a soild +4 wins and at least +11 draws with Forest,doncaster and Saints slumping in performance. This is an unrealistic theory.
However I did believe a victory against Palarce was welcome and the new, young, determined players ie Elliot, Shelvey and Spring are talented stars. It is also a massive morale boost not only because it should improve the teams performance but also because it was against the scum.

still RIP CAFC

Comments

• What's life like down there in the dumps mate?
  • [cite]Posted By: Nutte11a[/cite]Do you know what i felt after the Palarce match...nothing.
    I knew that like so many times before Charlton bounce up and down from a rare positive result then fail to deliver next match; its happened before (ie v Norwich) we are also desperatly adrift from the pack we need a soild +4 wins and at least +11 draws with Forest,doncaster and Saints slumping in performance. This is an unrealistic theory.
    However I did believe a victory against Palarce was welcome and the new, young, determined players ie Elliot, Shelvey and Spring are talented stars. It is also a massive morale boost not only because it should improve the teams performance but also because it was against the scum.

still RIP CAFC

There are medical organisations out there you can talk to who will give you the correct medication...or you could even try The Samaratans as your first port of call.
  • Nutte11a.
    Want some of my "happy pills" ?
  • I really don't understand where all this negativity comes from. After all it's not as if:

(1) We're bottom by 5 points

(2) We're 9 points off safety

(3) We've conceded more goals than any other team in the division

(4) We have by far the worst goal difference in the Division

(5) We've won one of our last 19 League games

(6) We haven't scored more than 1 goal in any of our last 7 matches

(7) Our top goal scorer in open play has 5 goals - and he's not even a forward

(8) We have a maximum of one fit centre back and have had only two permanent centre backs to pick from all season

(9) We have only 3 strikers to pick from, one of which has major personal issues to deal with, another who has scored 1 goal in open play from 30 appearances this season and a third who does score goals but isn't picked to start 'cos he doesn't track back enough

(10) We rely on loanees who have little or no affinity with the club in preference to our own permanent signings and kids

(11) The Club is seriously in debt

It's a good job that none of the above are true because, if they were, we would seriously be in the mire. Wouldn't we ?
  • That's better, AA .........
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]I really don't understand where all this negativity comes from. After all it's not as if:

(1) We're bottom by 5 points - we do have 22 points more than we started the season with, lol

(2) We're 9 points off safety - we don't know how many points safety is, the season is 46 games long

(3) We've conceded more goals than any other team in the division - so far, but not necessarily over 46 games

(4) We have by far the worst goal difference in the Division - so far, but not necessarily over 46 games

(5) We've won one of our last 19 League games - we're on a winning streak this week :o)

(6) We haven't scored more than 1 goal in any of our last 7 matches - got me there, can't spin that one, lol

(7) Our top goal scorer in open play has 5 goals - and he's not even a forward - but has started many more games than any of the strikers

(8) We have a maximum of one fit centre back and have had only two permanent centre backs to pick from all season - but the club has said they intend to sign a centreback this week

(9) We have only 3 strikers to pick from, one of which has major personal issues to deal with, another who has scored 1 goal in open play from 30 appearances this season and a third who does score goals but isn't picked to start 'cos he doesn't track back enough - can't spin that one either, lol

(10) We rely on loanees who have little or no affinity with the club in preference to our own permanent signings and kids - maybe there are permanent players here with little affinity for the club too or is that a seperate issue?

(11) The Club is seriously in debt - but nowhere in as much debt as many other CCC clubs, and stated by the Board as manageable

There you are:
    same questions but a different way of looking at it, if you choose.

;o)
  • Excellent stuff from both AA and Oggy. You both care deeply about CAFC in your different ways and there are bits of my crazy, contradictory, can't-make-my-mind-up personality that agree with both of you...

I'll leave now. The men in white coats are knocking at the door!
  • LOL nice try Oggy but many of your "half full" comments rely on us turning things round. My comments are based on the here and now.
  • Ha ha, Nigel and AA.

I was just playing devil's advocate with your post AA - and came up with a light hearted 'Pardew-esque' spin on the situation. Of course, I appreciate we're in deep doo-doo - but to focus on the negatives of our plight absolutely gives us no chance at all.

So I choose to focus on the possibilities of our next game, because with the best will in the world, that's all we can do.
    That way we may have a chance.

Bring on Burnley!

;o)
  • And Oggy as for "(7) Our top goal scorer in open play has 5 goals - and he's not even a forward - but has started many more games than any of the strikers"

With the exception of Dicko who, for the reasons known to everyone on here isn't selected to start, these are the stats for the players in question for goals in open play this season:

Bailey - 5 from 26 starts

Gray - 4 from 21 starts
    Burton - 1 from 15 starts (including starts for Sheffield Wednesday)

So, our two remaining first choice strikers have mustered the same number of goals from 10 more starts as a midfielder. And 5 goals in open play is probably the worst "top scorer" of any Team in the country.

Spin your way out of that one ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Ha ha, Nigel and AA.

I was just playing devil's advocate with your post AA - and came up with a light hearted 'Pardew-esque' spin on the situation. Of course, I appreciate we're in deep doo-doo - but to focus on the negatives of our plight absolutely gives us no chance at all.

So I choose to focus on the possibilities of our next game, because with the best will in the world, that's all we can do.
    That way we may have a chance.

Bring on Burnley!

;o)

4-4-2 and Dicko starting and I'll think about crossing the divide.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]And Oggy as for "(7) Our top goal scorer in open play has 5 goals - and he's not even a forward -but has started many more games than any of the strikers"

With the exception of Dicko who, for the reasons known to everyone on here isn't selected to start, these are the stats for the players in question for goals in open play this season:

Bailey - 5 from 26 starts

Gray - 4 from 21 starts
    Burton - 1 from 15 starts (including starts for Sheffield Wednesday)

So, our two remaining first choice strikers have mustered the same number of goals from 10 more starts as a midfielder. And 5 goals in open play is probably the worst "top scorer" of any Team in the country.

Spin your way out of that one ;-)

Can't argue with your stats, AA - although if you insist including Burton's Sheff Wed career, then you'll at least have to credit him with the fact he had a number of sub appearances for them this season and actually scored the weekend before he signed for Charlton.

But as I said before, I was only being light hearted.

;o)
  • One other thing, AA .....

if you discount Gray's penalty goals this season as not worthy of inclusion,
    then we should also devalue the number of goals scored by Darren Bent, Clive Mendonca, Derek Hales and others strikers - where penalties scored made up an appreciable part of their goal tally.
  • Ok Oggy will try to lighten up.

On the subject of Burton though I forgot to add his Cup games for us so the correct stat is one goal from 18 starts and 12 sub appearances this season and that goal was indeed the one to which you refer.

All of which, of course, means that Gray and Burton have, in fact, netted 5 times from 39 starts this season. Not much of a haul for what amounts to one stiker playing
    over a season (including subs). And people moan at me for going on about Dicko!!!

Sorry did I say I would try to lighten up?
  • Enjoyed locking horns with you AA, good to get a bit of discussion going.*thumbs up*

Stats never lie or do they ..... ? You can invariably put a slant on them or take out of context.
    Burton, for example, might not score often enough according to stats - but stats don't give credit for say Burton's intelligent movement off the ball drawing defenders to him and creating space for Bailey to come steaming in to score.

But his manager will see that, and give credit due.

Anyway, I'd best get some work done ....!

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Enjoyed locking horns with you AA, good to get a bit of discussion going.*thumbs up*

Stats never lie or do they ..... ? You can invariably put a slant on them or take out of context.
    Burton, for example, might not score often enough according to stats - but stats don't give credit for say Burton's intelligent movement off the ball drawing defenders to him and creating space for Bailey to come steaming in to score.

But his manager will see that, and give credit due.

Anyway, I'd best get some work done ....!

;o)

Can't disagree with any of that but we still need someone up there who can score goals and MIGHT get us 20 a season.

Have a good day.
  • Cheers, AA. You too.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]One other thing, AA .....

if you discount Gray's penalty goals this season as not worthy of inclusion,
    then we should also devalue the number of goals scored by Darren Bent, Clive Mendonca, Derek Hales and others strikers - where penalties scored made up an appreciable part of their goal tally.[/quote]

The difference is that DB, Clive and Killer were often the player fouled to concede the penalty. Gray simply doesn't create his own chances, or many for others and doesn't give the oppo centre-back a tough match. Burton offers a bit more, but again doesn't create much himself. Our old forwards (and Dicko) were able to conjour a goal out of nothing.
  • edited January 2009
    Maybe Addicksons - but that wasn't the issue.

My point to AA was only in the context that Benty, Mendonca and Killer included their penalties scored in their goals tally, so it's hardly consistant to deliberately not include Gray's (and Burton's) penalties.
  • BDLBDL
    edited January 2009
    Peace and Love!
    ringo+starr+peace.jpg
    Peace and Love!